cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv camping in class c white mountains august

cinandtim
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to camp in white mountains NH late July and head into Maine the first part of August. Is it too late for reservations? Do we need reservations...? Appreciate any thoughts on good places to camp with a 30' class c. We enjoy hiking, exploring, biking, eating and most outdoor adventures. Thanks all for the input. I edited to clarify August and not April!
8 REPLIES 8

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
If you could tell us if you desire dry camping or hookups, and what you want for CG amenities, we could guide you better! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you like dry camping the NFS cg's along the Kanamugas Hwy will have vacancies if you arrive mid week. There are some nice bike trails off Bear notch road for mtn biking. Mt Chocora offers 360 degree views. North Conway has tax free outlets. You can float or swim in the Saco or Swift rivers. Very nice area.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Tarry Ho Campground in Twin Mountain last July. Very good and central location for the Mt. Washington Cog Railway (a great experience or you can drive a car up, but not an RV), Franconia State Park and the National Forest, the famous Mt. Washington Hotel where Bretton Woods Conference was held after WW II - we had lunch there one day.

It's a wooded campground by a river, good wi-fi, on a busy road but quiet at night. Nice owners.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
cinandtim wrote:
We would like to camp in white mount in NH late July and head into Maine the first part of April? Any thoughts on where we could stay?
With a 30' class x.We enjoy hikin, exploring eating and all kinds of adventure. Would appreciate any input. And did I say. We have a baby with us.a

We liked Glen Ellis Family Campground in Glen ,NH...not too far north of North Conway and easy to travel the area from there...Nice campground ,big open..Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
cinandtim wrote:
We would like to camp in white mount in NH late July and head into Maine the first part of April? Any thoughts on where we could stay?
With a 30' class x.We enjoy hikin, exploring eating and all kinds of adventure. Would appreciate any input. And did I say. We have a baby with us.a

I assume you mean going to Maine in August, not April. If it is April, your choices of open campgrounds in Maine will be very limited; late April to mid-May (particularly the latter) is rather more typical opening times in New England. Early April could very well mean snow and snowstorms.

If you don't need hookups, there are many public campgrounds in the White Mountains, including a few along the delightful Kancamagus Highway.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed in the Lisbon/Littleton KOA in Lisbon NH and the Fransted Family CG in Franconia. The owners of both are great. These camps are very clean and the owners are great. I enjoy picking up Route 2 just north of the White Mountains National Forest and running it to the Maine Coast. An easy and enjoyable ride.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Trailer Life "guide" at CW. Lists just about all the campgrounds in every state. Rates them, too. Sometimes the "ratings" can be strange, but overall, reasonably accurate.

Another option is to "join" KOA. They have their own book. I use both.
You can also check out rvparkreviews.com. Subjective. 3 posters say a cg is wonderful, a 4th says it's a garbage dump. So...that...is up to you.

g'luck!

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at the White Birches campground near Gorham NH last September. Its a nice place with a good hillside view and I will return. My only issue with the campground was with the big dip in their driveway where it meets the road. A lot of scrape marks in the road. Approach the driveway slowly and at a sharp angle.

Gorham has several ATV rental places and miles of tails through the mountains to explore. On a clear day, be sure to take the Auto Road up Mt. Washington and then again via the COG railroad.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40