cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Savannah, GA

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
It's that time of year (for us) to start making plans for next summer's vacation.

A couple year's ago, we traveled to Charleston, Sc and loved it. We've been tossing Savannah, Ga around as a destination. Never been there but I've been told that it's a "must". Is there anyone with local experience that can give me a little run-down on things to see/do? We love the history; ie. civil war stuff, plantations, etc.

Also thinking about staying at Skidaway Island State Park. We prefer state parks over private CG's.

Thanks.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
26 REPLIES 26

fil564
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed on Tybee Island in June, yes it was 90+ and humid but it surprisingly was not real buggy. We did the 45 minute trolley tour to get and overview and then we could pick out what we wanted to see. River street and Forsythe Park are musts and even visit St. John the Baptist Cathedral to see the beauty of it. The Pirate House for the lunch buffet is a must and if you like seafood a trip to Tybee for the Crab Shack is a must.
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
1 Wife
2 Really Spoiled Shih Tzu's
that have Passed the Rainbow Bridge

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
We were in McCallister SP last week. Very nice, although a good bit of damage to the trees by Mathew. The bugs were there but not very bad and not very many other campers.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not trying to be a killjoy here, but I think folks visiting Savannah need to know about the crime rate.

We lived near Savannah for 10 years, and it is a great city. For those touring Savannah, please be safe. Savannah has a much higher crime rate than most other cities of comparable size. If touring at night, stay in the populated tourist areas and stay with a group.

You can google crime rate savannah georgia for additional info if interested.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the no-see-ums. They were BRUTAL in the spring, especially at Blythe Island in Brunswick. They're so small that they fit through the screen openings, but are like "flying mouths". OTOH, we've been to the area in November and there were no real problems with insects. But we would avoid the area in the late spring/summer. JMHO.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Savannah in summer will be no see um central. Ft Mccalister is nice but not in the summer.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
empty_nest wrote:
It's that time of year (for us) to start making plans for next summer's vacation.

A couple year's ago, we traveled to Charleston, Sc and loved it. We've been tossing Savannah, Ga around as a destination. Never been there but I've been told that it's a "must". Is there anyone with local experience that can give me a little run-down on things to see/do? We love the history; ie. civil war stuff, plantations, etc.

Also thinking about staying at Skidaway Island State Park. We prefer state parks over private CG's.

Thanks.

We've been to both Skidaway and Ft. McAllister which is just south of Savannah in Richmond Hill, GA. IMHO, Ft. McAllister is slightly nicer and an easier drive to the historic area of Savannah. But they're both very nice state parks with large sites. Enjoy!
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the input!! Based on what I have read here, I think we have a winner! The planning begins.............
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We love Savannah! The railroad museum is a must along with the incredible Jere's antique furniture store just off Bay St. I always think of this when I'm staying there!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Tybee_Island_mid-air_collision

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Savannah is much like Charleston.

If you don't have a toad you might consider Red Gate Farms RVP; you can have the trolley bus pick you up at the CG. Or with a toad, maybe Hardeeville RVP.

Be sure to go to Mrs. Wilkes (early, wait in line) and Clary's.
-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer

If you don't have a toad you might consider Red Gate Farms RVP; you can have the trolley bus pick you up at the CG. Or with a toad, maybe Hardeeville RVP.

-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer

-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer

-jbh-

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
We were chased out of Savannah by Hurricane Matthew after 1.5 days. We will be going back.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Skidaway Island, for sure. We did the Riverwalk, a boat ride up the river, and a bus tour, IIRC. Also went to Tybee Island for a meal at The Crab Shack (you won't need to eat for the next three days......) and an evening cruise for dolphin spotting.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B