cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida to Maine

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
We've been going West over the summer for years now, falling in love with Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. We haven't been to Maine since 2007. We're looking at heading north October 5th. Three questions:

1. We just retired as teachers and have never gotten to see the leaves change as we've always been in the classroom in the fall. We'd also like to visit Washington DC again. We're thinking of heading straight to Maine first and then making the aforementioned stops on the way home. Should we do the long haul taking I-95 North?

2. Last time in Maine we stayed at Blackwoods in Acadia NP but we're bigger now. Their max length is 35' and we're 35.7' and apparently we're too tall at 12.7'. I called and they said they've changed the park and that the 7 inches over in length would mess up our RV in their culverts. I get it, so my question is, where would you all recommend we stay? It seems that Mt Desert Island closes up shop early in October. Maybe we need to find a way to depart Florida earlier.

3. Lastly, we know we want to stay at Cherry Hill when visiting DC, but then we have a lot of options to see the fall colors. We love Davidson River Campground and Mount Pisgah in NC, but we've never experienced the Shenandoah area. Again, as newly retired teachers, we're rookies at this fall travel thing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for any feedback!
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
13 REPLIES 13

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
chompchomp wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
ferndale been everywhere---almost, LOL

Considering your experience, another question for you. To break up the trip from Acadia to Shenandoah, we're looking to make two one night stopovers. Any suggestions on one-nighters along that route (84 to 81)? Thanks for the help!

We stop at Booth Bay after leaving Mt. Desert Island. Stay at Shore Hills. --3 hour drive. After that we head to NY, 6 hours to either Gardiner ( Jelly Stone) or Newburgh ( KOA) . Then off to PA- usually Jonestown KOA. Then to Natural Bridge VA or Wytheville VA or Ft Chiswell VA
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Considering your experience, another question for you. To break up the trip from Acadia to Shenandoah, we're looking to make two one night stopovers. Any suggestions on one-nighters along that route (84 to 81)? Thanks for the help!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer, I see that. Thanks for the clarification.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I-95 hits I-26 about 1/2 way through SC and hits I-81 at Kingsport, TN. Kind of going backwards. You can take I-26 to Columbia, SC and pick up I-77 to Wytheville, VA and get on I-81.

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
JoeH wrote:
We've been up here ( Bar Harbor area) since late June. Been coming here from FL for the past 15 summers. We stay at Narrows Too as they are very big rig friendly. They are open till 10/23.
I would not use I-95 when you get north. Too much traffic. I go 95 to 26 to 81 to 84 then back on 95 . You avoid the messes around DC , NJ/NY.

Double ditto on using this route; except the I 95. I would avoid I 95 altogether since youโ€™re retired and have more time. I like driving the Appalachian Mountain areas because they have some good Fall color and more interesting historic locations. Western Pennsylvania has some good color and the Amish and Mennonites have good food as well as good stores for supplies.

DC is a hot mess traffic wise.

Where do you pick up 26 off 95 to reach 81?

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats close but at Sturbridge you hit the toll road up to Auburn then get on I-290 over to I-495. That will take you back to I-95 just south of New Hampshire. Pretty much done with traffic at that point. I have went this way up and back twice, once to Bangor and once on into Canada. Pick your own way back

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeH wrote:
We've been up here ( Bar Harbor area) since late June. Been coming here from FL for the past 15 summers. We stay at Narrows Too as they are very big rig friendly. They are open till 10/23.
I would not use I-95 when you get north. Too much traffic. I go 95 to 26 to 81 to 84 then back on 95 . You avoid the messes around DC , NJ/NY.

Double ditto on using this route; except the I 95. I would avoid I 95 altogether since youโ€™re retired and have more time. I like driving the Appalachian Mountain areas because they have some good Fall color and more interesting historic locations. Western Pennsylvania has some good color and the Amish and Mennonites have good food as well as good stores for supplies.

DC is a hot mess traffic wise.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
Joe H and rr2254545, Thanks so much for the valuable input! This forum rocks.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Hadley's Point Campground and the KOA
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545, yes, we see the October 15 shutdown though we found one that stays open until October 22nd. What are your two favorites as we're thinking of starting in one campground until the 15th and then moving to the one that allows us to stay til the 22nd? Or we bite the bullet and leave earlier.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I for sure think you need to leave earlier or rethink the whole plan - most of the camp ground in Bar Harbor close on October 15th -it gets cold there early - I checked just now and two of my Favorites for sure close on 10/15
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks