cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spearfishing from Bahia Honda in the Keys???

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Bahia Honda several times before and have seen others there in the campground with spearfishing equipment who go out in their boats and spearfish. I would like to try this myself when I go there this summer with my boat, but I recently read that possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in the park. I know you have to be I think at least 400' from the park's shoreline, but how are others doing this if they are camping at the park? Are they stowing their equipment in their boat until they get out to the spot they are going to spearfish? I don't want to get into trouble with FWC or park staff just from having the equipment in my boat while I'm at the campground. Are other campers there just ignoring the possession rule? Is it a rule that's not really enforced? Thanks for any insight on this.
7 REPLIES 7

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the situation is that FWC stops you in the park to do a check and you have fish with holes in them and you have in your possession a speargun.
Ok, on edit, this from fwc site
In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection, Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.)
I would not stop in park waters coming back in.

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Luke Porter. That will be great.

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
So, I asked "what are the rules about POSSESSION of spearfishing equipment in the park"?

He said "can not have it"!

"So if I have a spearfish gun in my camper in the park"?

He said, "well, nobody is going to look".

"And then put it in my boat and went out fishing"?

"You can't use it in the park---the boundary goes out 400 feet"

I can't see a situation where anyone would know you have the equipment if you are discreet.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I live close to Bahia Honda and go over there about every day. I'll ask next time I'm there.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
This says it all.
Possession of spear equipment:
Possession of spears and spearguns is prohibited in Everglades National Park,
Dry Tortugas National Park and Florida State Parks.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/spearing/

This is the official state website that deals with fishing and wildlife. May help answer your question as well.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Keys Spearfishing Regs

Just stay legal or take lots of $$$
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843