cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone Mountain GA

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on being there in a couple weeks. Anyone have any recommendation about what to do in the park? Just hubby and me. Is the light show at night worth it? Is it worth paying extra for the terrace seating? What about the tour of the carving? Any thoughts appreciated.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel
13 REPLIES 13

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We've been there several times. Really enjoyed it. We bought a combo ticket that included cable car to top (loved being on top), train ride,museum (not real big, but had some very interesting items) and a village to tour. Ticket also included an antique car museum. We really enjoyed all of them. There were also several activities geared more for children with the combo ticket. They had ride the ducks which we thought was just ok and costs extra. Laser show a must. We went to see it twice. It wouldn't be worth it to us to pay for terrace seating.

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
if possible get a site in orange loop. yes lihjt show is good

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip on the voltage drop. I'll keep that in mind.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the train ride, the cable car to the top (or walk if you want/have time, etc). Light show - yes. Now the audience is predominantly from the South to begin with, but when they played '"Georgia On My Mind" the crowd went BONKERS. Same with the playing of Dixie. Agree also with Georgia Aquarium. We also took in the Coke Museum/Tour.

Sites - we were in the loop around the office (also loops around the pool) and if I had to do it again I'd opt for a site in one of the other loops for the shade, level or not. Do yourself a favor and monitor the voltage to your RV, especially during the day. Under the hot Georgia summer sun everybody's A/C was running full tilt, and voltage dropped, although not enough to warrant shutting down our A/C and other appliances. Came close, though. Nice place. Regrettably we were not there for a carillon performance.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
It's not mentioned much, but to me the best thing in the park are the carrilon concerts daily and on weekends. If possible get to the live performances on he weekends. Hearing the bells play out across the lake in the evening can really raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Watching and hearing your requests on weekends is something you won't forget for a long time.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:
Dekalb County Farmers' Market is jus west of Stone Mountain on Ponce De Leon. Great place to load up on supplies.

Double ditto. Great food there.

Also, there's a Trappist monastery not far from Stone Mountain. You can visit the church while the monks sing their chant and they have a museum of their monastic foundation and how they live. Very nice. Here's the link with their location and hours.
Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Dekalb County Farmers' Market is jus west of Stone Mountain on Ponce De Leon. Great place to load up on supplies.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
Some nice tips so far. Thanks. Anyone have a favorite restaurant in Atlanta or Stone Mountain?
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel

Cranemec
Explorer
Explorer
Get ready to wave at every Tom, Dick and Harry that walks by as the sites face the wrong way. Some of them are so bad that your picnic table is on the back side of your RV.
Don't be afraid to venture into Atlanta. Ponce City Market is a cool place to walk around, shop and eat. Sweet Auburn Curb Market is also a pretty cool place. Zoo Atlanta. Ride the glass elevator up to the top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza, grab a seat and a cocktail and enjoy the view as the 2 top floors rotate 360 degrees every hour.
Centenial Olympic Park.
The Georgia Aquarium.
If you are into it, Oakland Cemetary. The families that built Atlanta are laid to rest there. Really cool place. My wife and I had our first date there and I proposed to her there.
2015 American Coach Tradition 42G

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how long you will be there......do EVERYTHING.
Their stuff is not Disney but all is a good value.
Good eats too, I've heard; never done that personally.
And a good golf course too.

If you have a toad, you are only about 15 minutes from the edge of Atlanta.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Enough to do for a few days with all mentioned previously. Seating is not necessary for the light show but your choice obviously. Try to get a site near the office as the sites on the lower loops are not level. If you are getting a site on the lower level N, O, P etc. then stop at the leveling block wagon near the entrance and load up.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Take a tour of the plantation, ride the train around the mountain, There is a walk-up trail, or you can take the sky-lift. There is a theme park there, and there are a number of hiking trails around the mountain. It's been a long time since I've been there for the laser show, they change it occasionally. We just sat in the meadow. I'll tell you how long it's been since I've been there... Everyone stood when they played "Dixie".

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ride to the top walk back down.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper