cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too late for Yellowstone?

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I would like to go to Yellowstone for a week in early October. Is early October too late for Yellowstone snow wise? Also, any recommendations for RV park would be appreciated. Thanks.
Paul & Margie
14 REPLIES 14

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Paul1944 wrote:
DW and I would like to go to Yellowstone for a week in early October. Is early October too late for Yellowstone snow wise? Also, any recommendations for RV park would be appreciated. Thanks.

NOPE!

Best week we ever had in Yellowstone was last week of October First week of November - Few People - No Services - Animals everywhere - if you get just a little lucky 25-35 at night and 60-70 when the Sun's out - Sky is a Blue as it can be ..............

So GO.

Take Pictures and then Post them so we can all See How it Was.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
vjstangelo wrote:
Go for it. Enter on the north via Gardner and stay at Mammoth campground. The Lamar Valley road will stay open year round as they plow it to keep access to Cooke City. You may want to verify this...

The Lamar Valley road to Cooke City is open all year and that is one of the most beautiful drives. They keep it open or Cooke City would die and it is known as one of the best snowmobile places in the world. I think you can go to Cody from there until you can't.

The Mammoth Campground is open all year also. The lodge closes here soon until Xmas time.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you are hardy, stay in W Yellowstone with hookups and commute to the Park. I love the fall and it is the best time for seeing wildlife and many fewer humans.

X2. Check out Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. About a mile from the entrance. Nice CG.

We were there in July for 2 weeks. Getting a bit chilly now but should still have a lot to offer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you are hardy, stay in W Yellowstone with hookups and commute to the Park. I love the fall and it is the best time for seeing wildlife and many fewer humans.

X2. Check out Grizzly RV Park. About a mile from the entrance. Nice CG
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it. Enter on the north via Gardner and stay at Mammoth campground. The Lamar Valley road will stay open year round as they plow it to keep access to Cooke City. You may want to verify this...
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Closing dates for Yellowstone roads are Oct.9th for Dunraven Pass and the Beartooth Highway. On Oct 15th Fishing Bridge (the bridge and road, not the campground, it is already closed) will close for replacement. That means you will no longer be able to access the loop roads from Cody.
If I was me, I would absolutely make the trip if it was a one day drive and you were willing to accept the fact you might be stuck for a day or two should weather move in and you are comfortable dealing with below freeing temperatures and snow covered roadways. If it was a two or three day trek, and it was your vacation for the year I say it is way too late in the season to risk a trip. As others have mentioned, it isn't only the park that is closing down, it is all the businesses in the surrounding communities are closing as well. For some, it's goodbye till next year. For others, it's a breather before they have to scale up for Snowmobile season (West Yellowstone) or Ski Season (Jackson Hole).
I also would only consider full hookups. If the weather turns cold, dry camping will tax your RV heating and plumbing systems. It might be a long drive to find a propane refill in October. Your best bet is going to be West Yellowstone. There are a couple of parks that stay open into Mid October. But I think you will strike out if you want to stay into late October. Even the late closing parks are going to be closed up tight, for good reasons.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
October temps in October--Average hi 48 degrees average low temp 28 degrees. Snow can happen on any day. Almost everything is shutting down except Mammoth and Old Faithful.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
And the days are so much shorter.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
The park will be open but most all of the vendors might be shut down in the neighboring towns.

We were there on this date in 2014 and it was pretty much shut down then
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The park will be open but most all of the vendors might be shut down in the neighboring towns.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
You never know with snow, check the weather before heading that way. Do you want to stay in Yellowstone or outside? Hookups or boondock?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Weather in Cody should be okay. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cody-wy/82414/october-weather/336560
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad