cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical problem we all see in RV parks.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just me or have others experienced the loud trucks doing a warm up in the early morning in preparation to go to work. It happens to me no matter where I go.

We have a nice mother and daughter living across the street here in the park. The daughter is in her thirties and has a job at a motel down the road. She starts the loudest truck on the planet at 0645 and allows it to warm up rather than just put it in drive off. I'm an early riser but why do workers in rv parks need to disturb others?

I respect the fact that people need work and make a living but parks could place these rigs together in an area by themselves. Am I the only one griping about this?
76 REPLIES 76

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Diesels from the last 15 years or more don't need any warm up time.

Most don't even need a diesel. They only bought it because they think it sounds cool.

That's about what I would have guessed ... thanks for your confirmation!

So ... this thread may be about not only lack of present consideration for others at campgrounds ... but also about lack of future consideration for others at RV purchase time - with maybe both lacks based on ego issues.

:h

(I hope this doesn't trigger another gas versus diesel emotional discussion.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
At Colter Bay last year i felt kinda bad starting the 12 valve at 5AM to drive to Yellowstone. I normally would let it warm at home for 10min or so purely to get the heater working but there amongst all the other campers I started it the second we were leaving for the day. It's not annoyingly loud overall but loud by todays standards for pickups.

Im with others, as long as you didn't modify it to be loud so be it.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, some days I feel like my life really sux
then I come and see this
Thanks for making my day;)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
as opposed to 6:30 AM in the evening?

Speaking of high school dropouts...........
I guess that went right over your head.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
There's 2 topics here. First, we don't usually get noise especially snowbirding along with mostly seniors. Mostly national, state parks, etc. Secondly, "warming up" a modern vehicle is about 40 years outdated. Absolutely unnecessary from a mechanical point of view and for temperature a moving vehicle warms up faster. But I guess you can't go around the park preaching that. But the short answer is- No we don't have that problem.

I am always self-conscious about disturbing my neoghbors, and new diesels do not need to long warmup periods. I have everything put away, slids closed, and jacks up before I start up. As soon as I get enough air pressure to release the brakes, I am off.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Spade Cooley wrote:
She is now pulling out sooner and I've adapted to her schedule arising at 0630. That's 630 AM for you draft dodgers.
It's 630 AM in the morning for high school dropouts.

As opposed to 6:30 AM in the evening?

Speaking of high school dropouts...........

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ear plugs are cheap. I never travel without them.
Diesels are noisy, no denying it.
Be considerate or go home.
The quietest places I ever stay with a lot of people are RV parks with senior citizens. They go to bed at 9 and don't go outside until about 8.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spade Cooley wrote:
All I want is a little consideration.

So what did she say when you asked her to try to keep the noise down?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Spade Cooley wrote:
She is now pulling out sooner and I've adapted to her schedule arising at 0630. That's 630 AM for you draft dodgers.
It's 6:30 a.m. for those who graduated high school and actually got educated in the proper way to write time. (colon between hour and minutes, lower case with periods for a.m and p.m.)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was getting gas one day and a guy in a lifted 2500, Ram I think? With a full exhaust with no muffler Pulled in front of the building. Before he got out he raised the rpm to about 1500 and went inside. It was 30 degrees outside, absolutely no reason for it other that to have people look at him (and make fun of him). Some people just shouldn’t even be driving!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Spade Cooley wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone want to bet against the thought that the idling time is way shorter and the noise much quieter than those who are complaining suggest. I file those comments in the same category as a woman's age and weight and a man's, should we say, vital length.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at a 55+ and mornings are for sleeping till 8:00. The are plenty of 3 wheelers ( Old peoples gas walkers) and also the (mines noisier than yours)Harley's. also the occasionally noisy power washer guy doing a trailer.

I am thankful not to see a single snowflake and enjoys all of our friend here. Small bones are no big deal.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
We camped in Hilton Head Thanksgiving weekend. The sites all around us were occupied by people camping together and their fire pit was right outside our front bedroom. Alcohol consumption contributes to conversations that get increasingly louder into quiet hours. I was pretty annoyed the first night, but we went to the camp store and bought ear plugs - slept like a baby and remained on friendly terms with the neighbors.

Whew ... I'm getting tired of reading discussion threads on the "idling of diesel engines" in RV campgrouds ... so let's cut through the chaff:

What's the Urban Myth versus Engineering Facts ... relative to diesel tow vehicle engines needing to be "warmed up" before use in order to not cause harm to them?? :h

If the diesel is in a coach with air suspension and brakes, they are waiting for the air to come up.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP