cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Van Riper State Park,, MI

socialstudiesmo
Explorer
Explorer
We will be camping at Van Riper State Park. We're taking the kayaks and plan on doing some fishing and hiking as well. Any suggestions on things to do and see in the area? Favorite spots to eat? Thank you!
2018 Jayco Hummingbird 17RK
2014 Jayco Greyhawk BH
4 REPLIES 4

socialstudiesmo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the responses. I don't think we'll take the Bayliner this trip. We just purchased a vehicle to tow and will put the kayaks on it. We are really looking forward to experiencing this state park!
2018 Jayco Hummingbird 17RK
2014 Jayco Greyhawk BH

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Google: lake michigamme

Lots of info about fishing the lake. There's also a map of the lake you can print showing the depths. We've camped in Van Riper a few times but it was during Fall in the colored leaf time and didn't have a boat with us as it's quite cool then. Van Riper is a nice SP and it's in a very rural area but still a lot to do locally. Lake Michigamme is one of the few many large lakes in Michigan we haven't boated in. The lake is big and inviting and consistently deep (20' to 50') and I don't see many shoals to worry about if you take your 185 Bayliner with you. Have to be more careful of depth if it's an I/O than if it's an outboard as I/O's don't like to hit hard bottoms because it can be very expensive.

If you have the 185 Bayliner with you, be careful entering the bay by Van Riper SP. Stay on the south side of the bay. I have fished this lake extensively and could offer some "walleye spots" if you are interested. We will be there from August 3 to 9. Here is a link to Fishweb, who has a map of the lake on his site and a narrative story of fishing it on Opening day.

Opening Day

Lake Map
Map has clickable links on it
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Google: lake michigamme

Lots of info about fishing the lake. There's also a map of the lake you can print showing the depths. We've camped in Van Riper a few times but it was during Fall in the colored leaf time and didn't have a boat with us as it's quite cool then. Van Riper is a nice SP and it's in a very rural area but still a lot to do locally. Lake Michigamme is one of the few many large lakes in Michigan we haven't boated in. The lake is big and inviting and consistently deep (20' to 50') and I don't see many shoals to worry about if you take your 185 Bayliner with you. Have to be more careful of depth if it's an I/O than if it's an outboard as I/O's don't like to hit hard bottoms because it can be very expensive.

There's the Yoopers Museum at Ishpeming. Lots of stuff at Marquette. Several waterfalls in the area. A day trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula and Copper Harbor and the Brockway Mountain Drive from Eagle Harbor on top of the mountain to Copper Harbor. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore NE of Munising. Miles and miles of 2 tracks and forest roads with wildlife but be sure you get maps and I'd suggest you have a GPS as the area is very vast, desolate, and very easy to get lost in without having some aids to guide you. Cellphone service may be very weak or lost but the GPS uses satellites from the sky and will tell you where you are and the map will guide you back.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Places to eat:
#1 choice - Hardwood Steakhouse in Covington.
#2 choice - Mt. Shasta Restaurant.

Bakery
Huron Mountain Bakery...mmmmm

Things to do.
You should be able to kayak up the Peshekee River. Not sure if this is a great thing to do or not. Never did it. There is also a road that follows it. I was told to look for moose but I did not see any.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone