cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Virginia State Parks

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
Is conducting a survey on changing their reservation policy. Here is the link if you are interesting in participating:

http://www.virginiaoutdoors.com/article/more/4378
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs
11 REPLIES 11

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dahkota wrote:
This weekend we are going to a VA state park. The campground is completely booked. It is about 2.5 hours away, so we will be taking off work early in hopes that we arrive before the majority of people so we can select a decent site. I hate playing campground roulette. The last time I arrived at a VA state park on a Friday, there were five other campers circling the campground looking for a site. It became a race to find available sites. And people were taking the wrong types of sites, apparent due to them moving and circling again after visiting the registration desk.

We are also going to a Va state park this weekend. I also have anxiety about finding a spot. However I have always had decent sites at VA parks. Their system seems to work fine. It keeps the sites circulating and doesn't allow anyone to continually get a certain site. All sites are open to everyone. The fact that you and I get there late is kind of all own personnel issue. But we are still guaranteed the best available site.
VA parks are always busy and full despite all those claiming they are avoiding them over pet and/or reservation policies. As long as the parks are full I see no reason to change the policies.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
This weekend we are going to a VA state park. The campground is completely booked. It is about 2.5 hours away, so we will be taking off work early in hopes that we arrive before the majority of people so we can select a decent site. I hate playing campground roulette. The last time I arrived at a VA state park on a Friday, there were five other campers circling the campground looking for a site. It became a race to find available sites. And people were taking the wrong types of sites, apparent due to them moving and circling again after visiting the registration desk.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
Won't stay at Va camp grounds because of the dog charge and the reservation fee. It's cheaper for me to drive 80 miles to the COE campgrounds (and get a lakeside site) than to stay a state park. Also, I can drive to the NC side of Kerr Lake (bugs Island) and only pay half for a site than a state park 15 miles down the road would cost. Plus I get a senior discount in NC and the COE campgrounds. Va gives no senior discount.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
The dog fee keeps us away & that's how they want it. Having said that I hope the state parks camping goes bust LOL.... What I don't understand is is the horse sites go unused but they are better campsites than in the campground of our near by state park.

We now go to our local campgrounds much cheaper.......

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2hams wrote:
Thanks for the link.

We prefer selecting our site when we arrive. When still working, we usually would take off a day or two early (nice to have a long weekend anyway). The VA parks are pretty good about accurately describing site length, and from what we have seen there are probably only a very few sites in each campground you wouldn't want.

It would seem that the best of both worlds would be the way that many COE parks (and some other states) with sites set aside for reservations along with some 'walk-in' sites'? If they do go with site specific reservations, sure hope they add good descriptions including exact length, width, and slope and shade info, as well as pictures.

The only park where gate staff have assigned sites (James River) we found the staff really great about accommodating our requests. We had a family get together, and they put all 6 of our campsites together.

That said, the $5 per day per dog fee (up to 3 days) will still keep lots of folks away. Add to that the $5 reservation fee (per stay, even for walk up) and the state park is not cost effective for one night (even with the 10% off for the lifetime park pass).
X-2, you can get a better deal at one of the COE parks, which are at least as good or better than the state parks.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link.

We prefer selecting our site when we arrive. When still working, we usually would take off a day or two early (nice to have a long weekend anyway). The VA parks are pretty good about accurately describing site length, and from what we have seen there are probably only a very few sites in each campground you wouldn't want.

It would seem that the best of both worlds would be the way that many COE parks (and some other states) with sites set aside for reservations along with some 'walk-in' sites'? If they do go with site specific reservations, sure hope they add good descriptions including exact length, width, and slope and shade info, as well as pictures.

The only park where gate staff have assigned sites (James River) we found the staff really great about accommodating our requests. We had a family get together, and they put all 6 of our campsites together.

That said, the $5 per day per dog fee (up to 3 days) will still keep lots of folks away. Add to that the $5 reservation fee (per stay, even for walk up) and the state park is not cost effective for one night (even with the 10% off for the lifetime park pass).
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
It's about damned time.

Site specific reservations may have some drawbacks to those who are not working or are poor planners but I will rarely visit a SP CG that I cannot pick my site at for many reasons.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
It's about damned time.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the survey
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I would prefer to pick my site. With a 34' TT I am not comfortable showing up and hoping that all the big sites aren't taken by tent campers. We make our reservations 11 months out so with a site specific system i would be assured I can show up at 5pm on a Friday afternoon and not worry about what is left. In order to move to this system though I suggested in the survey that VA state parks post photos of each site on the campground like the COE does. Makes picking sites much easier.

flamingogal
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the link, very informative. I like the system they have now. That works for me, but I can see how others would like a system like many private campgrounds use.

Jeanne