cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to stay near NYC

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
I retired in Oct. 2017. My wife and I sold our home in California and hit the road full-time to visit all states. We have covered 27 states and much of Canada so far and are now in the New England area. We want to visit New York City but don't want to pull our 38" fifth wheel around there or even drive and try and park the truck. We are looking for an RV park that is conveniently located and near public transportation to see the sites. I found one park in Jersey City that didn't look too bad with a ferry boat to the WTC within walking distance but they are full. Any suggestions from people in the know will be greatly appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
jbrack wrote:
... I found one park in Jersey City that didn't look too bad with a ferry boat to the WTC within walking distance ....

Liberty Harbor is also a short walk from the NJ metro, known as the PATH system, which will take you into midtown Manhattan. It's cheaper than the ferry and it runs more frequently and later at night.
Joanne

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
My choice would be Croton point park in Westchester county. It's one mile from the Metro North station. A nice 45 minute train ride and you will be in Grand Central terminal.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
mdcamping wrote:

Good point, when we were there a few yrs ago, we had noticed at least half of the rvers at LH were rental class C's. I would bet they get alot of no shows and cancellations. (which included the no show on our site when we wanted to extend 1 day, we ended up moving to a differant site)

Drifting off-topic a bit, but are you suggesting that rental RV users would be more likely to be a no show or a cancellation than people who own RVs? I would have guessed the opposite, since a rental is usually for a specified short time and the trip is likely to be carefully planned out in advance from start to finish. That said, I am completely just guessing.

Less off-topic, it's great that the OP snagged a site. This really is their best option from the sounds of things.

My thinking would be they are spending $$$ on a possible once in a life time type trip so they don't care if they either over book a day or 2 or not show at up all do to who knows what. My guess experience is going to play a part in this also

Also LH will charge you $40 if you do not check out. This is posted in multiple places on their web site and I remember LH telling us at check in. I'm going to guess the reason for this policy is because they have had problems with folks leaving their rvs at their sites or at the very least some where in the LH lot past check out time so they can get in another day visiting NYC. I would bet experience is playing a part in this too. IMO 🙂

X2 on the OP getting a site! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:

Good point, when we were there a few yrs ago, we had noticed at least half of the rvers at LH were rental class C's. I would bet they get alot of no shows and cancellations. (which included the no show on our site when we wanted to extend 1 day, we ended up moving to a differant site)

Drifting off-topic a bit, but are you suggesting that rental RV users would be more likely to be a no show or a cancellation than people who own RVs? I would have guessed the opposite, since a rental is usually for a specified short time and the trip is likely to be carefully planned out in advance from start to finish. That said, I am completely just guessing.

Less off-topic, it's great that the OP snagged a site. This really is their best option from the sounds of things.

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone....I was able to get in to Liberty Harbor due to a cancellation...It seems like the most convenient.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
For everyone suggesting Liberty Harbor, I believe it is the one op was referring to when he said the one in Jersey City is full.

Maybe the OP can call back and hopefully get in on a cancellation.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the best report including driving directions to Liberty Harbor. This couple stayed a few times with their 40' motorhome. Note that there are 6-8 separate posts on this. I'm not sure which one gives the directions.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=liberty+harbor
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that the Newburgh KOA run shuttles to NYC.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
For everyone suggesting Liberty Harbor, I believe it is the one op was referring to when he said the one in Jersey City is full.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Highland falls RV park and marina . check it out there isn't much there except a parking spot

Google map it

It's basically West Point NY. and has a RR station direct to NYC
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, Liberty Harbor is your best bet overall for seeing the city. There are a couple of other options that might work, but would be less convenient.

Croton Point Park (a county park)--full hookups available, and commuter rail to Grand Central is right next to the park. I've heard pretty good things about it. You will spend more time getting to the city from there than from Liberty Harbor for sure.

Floyd Bennet Field, in Brooklyn on Jamaica Bay, is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area and has camping available. The RV sites are just marked-off areas around the edge of a very large concrete expanse (a former seaplane station) with picnic tables and nothing else. There's a city bus that runs to the entrance of the field, a good little hike from the camping area, and thence to the subway. Getting to Floyd Bennet Field with an RV is interesting. From the north, at least, probably the best way is to go over the Tri-borough bridge and follow I-278 (aka the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) to Flatbush Avenue and follow that all the way across Brooklyn. The more obvious routes involve parkways that RVs can't use.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Is Liberty Harbor a nice campground? No.
Is Liberty Harbor a good resort? No.

Is Liberty Harbor the perfect place to enjoy what NYC has to offer? YES!

It is just a large gravel parking lot with services. It is easy to get to with a large RV, it has a large bath house and laundry that is clean. It's location just can't be beat. You could stay at a nice "campground" that is an hour or two away, but then you spend all of your time commuting back and forth instead of enjoying the NYC offerings.

I guess it is just according to what you are looking for. If you want a camping experience, stay elsewhere. If you want a great place to experience the New York offerings, then stay at Liberty Harbor.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liberty Harbor is what you are looking for. nothing more than a parking lot converted to RV parking with water and Electric. It is tight, but very good for what it offers.....a place to park your RV near NYC. Our site had a nice view of the Statue Of Liberty.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at liberty harbor. There is some sort of rally using it now. Off you can adjust your dates a bit, you could probably find some availability.