cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where you going this Winter?

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Yup we are already thinking about joining our friends down at our Winter digs and it's really not to early to think about it. With that we are still getting out camping locally with friends over the Summer and enjoying times with friends here in Reno.

After traveling years in the SW we have settled into the Casa Grande, AZ area and now about 11 miles South on I-10 in Eloy, AZ in particular.

We'll be at the Silverado RV Resort again this Winter.

The area has so much history, like alot of the SW, and plenty to do. Casa Grande has many of the big box stores, good restaurants (many ethnic), great grocery stores and the list goes on and on.

Winter climate? Tough to beat...and no bugs!! Day time temps high 60's to mid 70's (last year we had temps in the 80's in January). Night time high 30's to mid 40's and have never froze up. Here is a Trip Journal entry from January 2016.

Our Trip Journal has the 'skinny' on our travels.

Safe travels everyone!!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel
103 REPLIES 103

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
silversand, We will be traveling in our Class C towing our car, so no helicopter for us! We will be watching the weather for a good opening. Will not be leaving Ohio until at least Dec. 27th and we are still looking at routes to try this year. Thanks for your suggestion.
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
sqdancecaller wrote:
....We will be trying a different route this year as it was a nightmare with traffic last year.

You couldn't mean an alternative to the 1 ? Or, will you try the 905A to 905 (to 1) ?

If you are really fed up with traffic, and its causing health issues, rent a helicopter (if your camper is stored in Long Key) and fly there from say Homestead (about ~20 minute flight). It may be worth the $1000 / $1500 for you and a passenger and your gear.

Once you're at Long Key, just rent a sub-compact car as you need it (for a day once in a while).
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

blenhardt
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Palm Creek in Casa Grande again this year. Will leave just after the first of the year.
2013 Redwood Model 34SK, 2011 F350 4X4 CC Dually

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Val Vista in Casa Grande part of last winter, but we like to travel, not stay in one place. So, we decided to spend more time in New Mexico this winter, with the possible exception of a week in the Phoenix area for a grandson's President's Day hockey tournament.

At least some of the time will be at Sunny Acres RV Park in Las Cruces, where we have stayed several times in the past. The university has some great classes and museums and the rec center has lots of senior programs. It's flat (unlike our area), so we can ride bikes or walk nearly everywhere, including the grocery store. And it doesn't get to 90 degrees in mid-February, like Phoenix did last winter!

Rest of the time, who knows? Probably some New Mexico state parks, like Monticello South CG at Elephant Butte State Park. Maybe a first trip to Big Bend NP for a week or so, then back to Carlsbad Caverns; a tour of the National Solar Observatory at Sunspot; or skiing at Ruidosa? Maybe all of the above. But definitely some birding at Bosque del Apache!

Easter's too late this year to enjoy the terrific Easter brunch at the Lodge at Cloudcroft because we have to be home for a grandson's St. Patrick's Day birthday. Oh, the inconveniences of being retired! ๐Ÿ˜‰
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
To our dilapidated doublewide in Cave Creek, AZ
Lived in Cave Creek twice, 1975 to 1978 and 1985 to 1999,lived on willow springs rd. now to many lawyers wifes and snow birds, and greenies.
I was very well known there, trust me.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Parrothead Mike wrote:
Florida's Nature Coast, Crystal River. We did a 4 month December 1 - April 1 reservation for the first time. Trying to avoid snowy travel by going a month earlier.

Did a couple of weeks at Rock Crusher last year. Lots of Michiganders there.

I probably walked passed your site on my daily walks. We like it there.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We had a subtle reminder yesterday that it's not a bad idea thinking ahead to go South.

Snow in the Sierra's.
Our Trip Journal

MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Returning to Mission Texas and staying at Retama
Village for the third year.
Skeetshooter
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
Florida's Nature Coast, Crystal River. We did a 4 month December 1 - April 1 reservation for the first time. Trying to avoid snowy travel by going a month earlier.

Did a couple of weeks at Rock Crusher last year. Lots of Michiganders there.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
her&I wrote:

First thing is I do not remember any letter from a government official asking for my advice on anything. I do remember when the ads ran constantly advising to "live better electrically". Now Ontario has the highest power rates in North America.

So where you going this Winter?

We do have our place at Fun & Sun in San Benito, Texas but DW and I both have dear friends who are palliative so we are not making plans yet

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
her&I wrote:

First thing is I do not remember any letter from a government official asking for my advice on anything. I do remember when the ads ran constantly advising to "live better electrically". Now Ontario has the highest power rates in North America.

So where you going this Winter?
Our Trip Journal

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
her&I wrote:
Do you have an "in" on the dollar thing?

Naw, just years of investing has taught me one simple rule, what goes up comes down, and what goes down comes up.

Remember when a Barrel of Oil was $120 plus. Speculators were cheering it could only go higher with the high demands that China and India were making, and would require even more oil as they became financial superpowers. Your dollar was strong and the UPS truck was making deep ruts to all our Canadian RV'ers, while the US RV'ers were adding water to the soup waiting out the storm.

Or how about all the "Flip this real estate shows." Making money was a sure thing. Then the bubble burst. And, now we're seeing a slow rise once again in real estate.

Or the tech stock bubble of 2000, but now we're back to where we were, or how 'bout....

Your dollar will get strong again, but (IMO) you should disconnect it some from your tar sands. As the farmers say, "don't put all your eggs in one basket."

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
her&I wrote:

Naw, just years of investing has taught me one simple rule, what goes up comes down, and what goes down comes up.

Remember when a Barrel of Oil was $120 plus. Speculators were cheering it could only go higher with the high demands that China and India were making, and would require even more oil as they became financial superpowers. Your dollar was strong and the UPS truck was making deep ruts to all our Canadian RV'ers, while the US RV'ers were adding water to the soup waiting out the storm.

Or how about all the "Flip this real estate shows." Making money was a sure thing. Then the bubble burst. And, now we're seeing a slow rise once again in real estate.

Or the tech stock bubble of 2000, but now we're back to where we were, or how 'bout....

Your dollar will get strong again, but (IMO) you should disconnect it some from your tar sands. As the farmers say, "don't put all your eggs in one basket."
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Falcon35 sorry to hear, and a speedy recovery. Think of it this way, by the time you're ready to join the flock, the CN dollar will be strong again. Perfect time to lay low. ๐Ÿ™‚