cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter in Arizona or Texas?

ddro
Explorer
Explorer
I am hoping to get some advise as to where would be a good place to spend January and possibly Feb. in Arizona.
Looking for mild temps and sunshine.
We have a 33 ft long class c and hope to find a place that has amenities
This is new to us as far as long term stays. We were thinking Florida but maybe next year as we haven't been able to find a place that's not so expensive especially if only for a month.
I have to be back in Tennessee for medications that I won't be able to get traveling due to the new laws.
We are hoping to get some advice from some of you great experienced RVers that are willing to share your experiences.
Is Tempe too cold? Is Phoenix too a good place?
We are looking for a nice place with things to do even if we don't golf.
Thanks for reading and if you can help we would appreciate it.
19 REPLIES 19

docj
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

Also, in most of the 'snowbird' areas - Arizona, Texas, Florida, you'll find that the parks have tons of permanent Park Model trailers - row after row. The public parks have actual 'travelers' and no permanents. That makes a difference to us.

This is far too broad a generalization. We winter in Port Aransas on Mustang Island offshore of Corpus Christi and there isn't a single park model in our park. That's true of most of the parks in the Corpus Christi/Rockport area. We don't like parks where there are a large percentage of park models; we've encountered such parks in FL and AZ.

We enjoy staying in one place for the winter. We have local friends and activities, outside of the RV park. The last thing we would want to do is pick up every couple of weeks and go somewhere else. Just our opinions; the way we like to live.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
After many winters in Florida, RGV of Texas, and Mesa Arizona I would recommend Arizona - Texas - in that order
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned Tempe and Phoenix AZ. For that area I'd advise you to look more at Mesa or Apache Junction, AZ. They are all connected but the east side of that whole area is much better in looks, parks and things to do. We love Arizona!

Go to RVParkReviews.com and plug in those cities and you'll come up with a lot of options. The web site for the individual parks will be given to click on so you can get a 'feel' of the park and current prices.

A highly recommend spot is Lost Dutchman State Park but you can only stay 2 weeks at a time. It does have full hookup sites. Other places for 2 weeks at a time are the Maricopa County parks in that whole area but again, only 2 weeks at a time if you don't mind moving. All of these public parks are in absolutely beautiful surroundings with lush, natural vegetation. The sites are huge compared to the RV parks you'll find.

Also, in most of the 'snowbird' areas - Arizona, Texas, Florida, you'll find that the parks have tons of permanent Park Model trailers - row after row. The public parks have actual 'travelers' and no permanents. That makes a difference to us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"extending all the way from southern California over across all of Florida. Basically everything South of I-10"... interesting as the guy I like is saying much the same but the worst will be north of I-10. See map above. Southern TX is light blue which means moderately colder and wetter than normal.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter where you decide to go, if you see insulated water hoses and large propane tanks, you AIN'T far enough south!

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
This is going to be an interesting winter to watch weather south of Interstate 10.

One El Niรฑo prediction map I saw just a couple days ago had a long band of cooler and wetter weather extending all the way from southern California over across all of Florida. Basically everything South of I-10.

But all the predictions are given a qualification that they really don't know for sure exactly what's going to happen.

So given enough money I'd head for Key West this year.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
We like Yuma AZ, tried Texas and Florida but like AZ for the warmer weather
samsontdog:o:W

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I prefer Palm Springs, CA over Arizona because the golf courses (and much of the housing developments) are green due to regular irrigation; whereas Arizona is basically brown due to all the desert landscaping. Of course, this is starting to change due to the drought, but hasn't had much of an impact on appearance yet.

We haven't stayed here, but were very impressed with the facility when we toured it a couple of years ago.

http://www.outdoorresortpalmsprings.com/

Good luck finding a place.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I've done both but SW Arizona is best for sunshine and lack of rain in winter.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Trailering_Texa
Explorer
Explorer
Look to South Texas - Lots of snow birds there, Florida like weather.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Florida is much closer to you and beats either one IMHO.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ddro wrote:
I am hoping to get some advise as to where would be a good place to spend January and possibly Feb. in Arizona.
Looking for mild temps and sunshine.
We have a 33 ft long class c and hope to find a place that has amenities
This is new to us as far as long term stays. We were thinking Florida but maybe next year as we haven't been able to find a place that's not so expensive especially if only for a month.
I have to be back in Tennessee for medications that I won't be able to get traveling due to the new laws.
We are hoping to get some advice from some of you great experienced RVers that are willing to share your experiences.
Is Tempe too cold? Is Phoenix too a good place?
We are looking for a nice place with things to do even if we don't golf.
Thanks for reading and if you can help we would appreciate it.

What kinds of things are you interested in doing? I would choose a place that is close to areas that reflect those interests. An example: if you want to visit museums, look up a city with the museums you like then look for a campground nearby.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will be interesting to see if this winter forecast holds true. His previous four years have been very close. Glad I'm headed to S Fla.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
The weather will be nicer in AZ but Texas will be cheaper. Any where from Phoenix south and west will be nice. South east from Tucson is higher in elevation and will be cooler. Casa Grande south of Phoenix is a popular area.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel