cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter in the Valley

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone else remember January of 2007 in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas when it was so cold and we had seventeen days with measurable precipitation? This winter is actually worse, as this "Cold snap" began the first of December and is still "Snapping" in February. I said that I would not come back seven years ago, but I did. How many times must a guy get fooled?

Just a rant from a Winter Texan who does not like 34 degrees and rain with a wind chill of 23. I know, I know, it is warmer than Minnesota or even Illinois.
24 REPLIES 24

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We are enjoying the best weather in Casa Grande az this winter since 2002.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Two Steppers wrote:
John & Joey, why do think the friendliness of Texas would end? I'm a native Texan and don't plan on being unfriendly in the future.

That's good to hear. I'm privilege to be considered a Winter Texan and am happy to be made to feel like a neighbor when I'm here.

After spending time in Florida, I guess I must keep my guard up. Sorry sir.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Totendatrailer
Explorer
Explorer
Sunny and 80 here today! And yes it has been some weird bipolar weather. Everyone says this is an odd year...guess I will try Florida next winter...
Bill & Cheryl
Gypsy & Nu cat
2007.5 GMC 2500 D/A
2014 Primetime Crusader 325RES.

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
John & Joey, why do think the friendliness of Texas would end? I'm a native Texan and don't plan on being unfriendly in the future.
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Steelpony, snowbirds that keep coming back to Texas don't for the weather, it's for the hospitality that is extended to us. Once that ends, "y'all" can have the whole state for yourself because we'll move on to greener (and friendlier) pastures.

We do come for the hospitality, but the prices have a lot to do with it also. Try finding $4 breakfasts, $6 haircuts, and $200 lot rents in any other winter destination. We can handle a few cold days for that.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Fifty seven degrees never felt so good as today! Looking forward to a couple of warm days before the next cool down on Tuesday. The "warms" should start outnumbering the "cools" from here on.

eaglewatchers
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, the sun is out, the rain/mist has stopped, and people are out biking, walking, and smiling in Mission, TX. Forecast is for 70+ tomorrow! Life is getting better!
Liz, Bob, and Gizmo
2008 Four Winds Hurricane 31'

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Steelpony, snowbirds that keep coming back to Texas don't for the weather, it's for the hospitality that is extended to us. Once that ends, "y'all" can have the whole state for yourself because we'll move on to greener (and friendlier) pastures.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we have four seasons in Texas - Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall - many times in the same day.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
LOL LOL LOL I love it when Yankees come to Texas lol lol......Surely y'all read in the brochure that we will switch from heat to AC and back to heat all in one day. Or that the weather here changes every 15 minutes sometimes. Some get fooled because it is soooo dang hot here in the summer that they think it surely can't get cold here... But then too I never thought 40 degrees could feel sooo dang cold. But for real we are setting records this winter....but then we may set a heat record this summer,,,hey it's Texas you can't predict the weather here.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
LynnandCarol wrote:
It is rough everywhere this winter including northern FL.
Knock knock. Arizona has been great.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Texas has always been hit or miss. This happened 2 days after we arrived in Los Fresnos in the RGV in 2004:

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron, thanks for posting that there is a difference in northern and southern Fla weather. Like TX, Fla is a big... OK a long state with a BIG difference in the WX north to south. A week ago I spent a miserable couple of days north of Orlando were it rained most of the time and never got above 60. The lows in south Fla where higher than that.

I would like to thank you again for doing the Snowbird Weather areas and the map of the US weather. I refer to it often. One suggestion would be to delete Tampa as it's weather is not that much different from Orlando's. My first thought was to replace it with Ocala, but it's not that much different from Orlando so maybe Gainesville and then instead of Tallahassee maybe something in the panhandle like Destin for those that go to the Gulf coast. Just a thought.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
..snip... But will be warming up nicely by Saturday...

I hope so, next week we have an open air BYOB dinner cruise on the Laguna Madre serving freshly caught Texas Gulf shrimp on the BBQ planned. Hopefully that will be the end of this Texas winter, and we can get back to a RV snowbird lifestyle. :B