cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone in October

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning on taking our travel trailer (Indian River 22MKSE) to Yellowstone/Grand tetons and arriving in early October. There is very little that is reservable in the park for our dates, and we'd have to piece it together and move from site to site over the 3 nights we plan to spend there, as most of it is closed. I know there are also a ton of first come, first serve sites available, though even this, only some is available in October. Would this be doable in October? Or would it still be crowded enough that it would be difficult to find a spot? We don't need any hookups, as long as they allow generator use to charge up the batteries during the day.

I found a lot of reservable spots at RV parks, which we'll book if need be. However, we prefer the more rustic 'in-nature' feel of state/national park campgrounds as opposed to RV park manicured grass and gravel.
39 REPLIES 39

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Grizzly is not next to the Grizzly/Wolf center. Grizzly is several blocks west of the center.
Buffalo Crossing RV park is next to the center.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Grizzly is one of the most beautifully landscaped RV parks we have ever stayed in and it is right next to the Grizzly and Wolf sanctuary where you can get closer to wolves than you ever wanted to.

We have stayed at Grizzly and agree with your post...and the Grizzly and Wolf center is neat and within walking distance, as is the town of West Yellowstone.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
Gee, Gary, if you leave tomorrow, you'll be there a lot sooner than October, right? I guess it depends on your tow vehicle. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes a horse and wagon lol.
We went 3 years ago, and can't wait to go back for a month, or two.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we couldn't travel until mid October. I too called various RV parks in the area and checked with Ennis RV Village. They were open at that time of year. We stayed there years back and it's a very nice park within driving distance of many tourist sites.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
For what it's worth, we really enjoyed Yellowstone in October. We stayed at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Here is a link to our blog post--hope it is helpful:

YNP and more in October

Great writeup. Thanks for posting. This definitely gets me excited about going in October. I'm hoping we get lucky and avoid the frigid temps though!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee, Gary, if you leave tomorrow, you'll be there a lot sooner than October, right? I guess it depends on your tow vehicle. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yellowstone in October can be like a dream.
It can also be a winter trip.
You have to get some luck with the weather.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
For what it's worth, we really enjoyed Yellowstone in October. We stayed at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Here is a link to our blog post--hope it is helpful:

YNP and more in October

Thanks for the post, my wife wants to go back there this fall, and would leave tomorrow if I wanted to.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

YNP and more in October
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp, ordinarily I'd go along with you. But this case here is that there is a residential subdivision next to the Forest Service C/G and that is where the problem started a number of years ago according to a Ranger.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
It seems like you always have a camper who leaves food out in a wilderness campground.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went in the west gate this AM at 8:20. Only stop at was to show drivers license and Old Farts Card. Get in before 9 AM and your good to go. When we went past some of the popular attractions it sure was different to see no tour busses parked. Another thing to remember about late September and early October, not only colder, day light is much shorted, longer dark nights. The Forest service closed Rainbow Point CG today. It was because of grizzly activity. I believe rigs are parked all over the West Yellowstone area.

https://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/campground-near-yellowstone-closed-by-grizzlys-presence/article_4127f95f-b051-556e-a9f7-66d6f1cf1612.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Plateau is high in elevation. The snow can get serious after Labor Day. October is late for Yellowstone. There should be some spaces available but you have to think of it as a winter type trip.

When National Parks get quiet in the late fall, they stop taking reservations for most campsites that are still open because the demand falls off rapidly. I like the off-season best. Off season in Yellowstone can have a lot of snow by October. It can be really cold by then, it is the luck of the draw. Cold as in zero of even lower.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
zb39 wrote:
Is YS having crowds right now? The few pics and video I see show it is empty compared to most years.

Why not go now?

I looked at the webcam's yesterday and the traffic in West was backup way into West. There was also a line in Gardener.