cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A&E slide topper end cap repair

DrivingMissDais
Explorer
Explorer
The aluminum end caps on my slide toppers had badly worn the axle hole into an oblong shape. Moving the slides in or out was accompanied with a clunking sound. Don't know how long it would be before some type of catastrophic event so I decided to replace them. I could not find the end caps for sale online except as part of the complete spring assembly. They cost $95 each, I had four needing replacement. Cost for parts would be in excess of $400 with tax and shipping. I decided to repair mine instead, total cost for all four=$12.
I made an external steel bushing using thick washers and attached them with drill screws. I spent more time making the bushings than I did installing them.

See you down the road!
Larry

2000 Winnebago Adventurer
20,000lb F-53 w/ 310hp Triton V-10
towing: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
towing gear, Blue Ox

Our blog: Dispatch from the Road
1 REPLY 1

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terrific work and job! I see you list Myrtle Beach. We haven't been there for a long time but there used to be two separate guys that did on site awning repairs in the parks. I was going to suggest you try to find them, if still there, and they may have some pieces and parts laying around. I usually scrounge parts like that, but you "took the bull by the horns" and you won!