cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout leak 2015 Arctic Fox 25Y

barb_l
Explorer
Explorer
(This is my 1st post, so I don't know if the photos will upload.) I noticed crack in paneling (2nd photo) and then realized MDF trim (around slide out) was wet by floor. On Oregon Coast, we had had 2 days of torrential rain. The next day, I opened bench up -- carpet in the outer corner was soaked. I only had one latch closed on storage access door, so water may have leaked in through there. It's wettest in the corner, and, thankfully, I caught this early. The walls around the windows are dry (per pinless moisture meter).

Being aware of issue of rain water running down slideout sidewall and wicking underneath slideout and getting in through screw holes, I realized this has also happened. I called Northwood -- they agreed I should cut it open. That's what I did. I removed some of the Darco on both sides, about 12" in. The center is fine (again, using moisture meter).

The wood was soaked under the Darco, so, even though I don't know how I will repair this, I am relieved that the wood will have a chance to dry out. We have more heavy rain coming tomorrow, so I made a makeshift drip edge with blue painter's tape and duct tape. I'm hoping this is the sole cause of the leak. I wonder if that would account for the wet MDF trim? If water got in through storage access door, could it have traveled over there (perhaps between carpet and foil backed "pad"? Or is it from water wicking up underneath slide? My fear is that maybe water is getting past the wiper seal in that corner??

The outer corner on the opposite side is where the wood is worst, having gotten in through this electrical opening. I feel I caught all this early compared to many, but it still sucks! (I have my drip edge taped up, so the air can get on the wood as long as it's not raining.)

Another question, will I have to replace the Darco before bringing slide in? I'm stationary, but just wondering if the bare wood -there is some kind of purplish coating (glue that Darco was adhered to?), would be too much friction? Just FYI, I am using a dehumidifier -- already was, but even more important to help things dry out.

Does the wiper seal look normal? It looks like it was either cut or torn (just below blue tape in photo). The fragment hanging is Darco I cut. I've seen some RVs with the wiper seal dangling down a ways as a drip edge. Mine does not. It's the same on the other side.

Barbara L.
Feb 2023, bought 2015 Arctic Fox 25Y.
No tow vehicle -- I'm stationary on my lot.
Florence, OR
4 REPLIES 4

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
On my AF, the slide wiper seal has has split where the horizontal and vertical parts intersect at the corner of the roof. If I didn't have slide toppers, it would leak.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seeing the pics, looks like you have things drying as best they can. I think water likely did come in the baggage door, if only one latch was secured. Water leaks are hard to diagnose, as water travels quickly after entry. With things still open on the inside will help determine point of entry, with more rain on the way.

My wiper seals do go down well past the slide floor, but assemblies vary. An Artic Fox is generally considered a brand of good build quality. The wiper in pic does look torn to me. I use a seal conditioner on my seals and wipers to keep them pliable. I also put powder on a sock, rub on wipers, after conditioner dries, to make the wipers slide with less friction.

Can't say, as to need for Darco replacement before retracting slide. Generally less friction is best. All are not the same, but if yours is on rollers, rather than sliding on a wedge, it may not matter??

Hopefully someone with experience, with similar brand/model, can better advise.

Water issues are frustrating, hope you get it under control.

Jerry

barb_l
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Photos are helpful to get credible answers. Your photos do not show, but for easiest photo posting, google rv.net photo posting, and click to site. When site page comes up, just follow easy instructions. You just need to provide pic, most all else is done for you.

Jerry

THANK YOU!!!
Barbara L.
Feb 2023, bought 2015 Arctic Fox 25Y.
No tow vehicle -- I'm stationary on my lot.
Florence, OR

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forum!

Photos are helpful to get credible answers. Your photos do not show, but for easiest photo posting, google rv.net photo posting, and click to site. When site page comes up, just follow easy instructions. You just need to provide pic, most all else is done for you.

Jerry