Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding additional solar panel

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks in advance as always folks!

I have a Zamp Deluxe 160W Solar kit installed on my 24ft class C. It has one 160W panel on the roof with a junction box on the roof already wired to the charge controller to easily add more panels. My question is when I decide to add another panel, say a 100W panel, do I need to add the same panel (Zamp mono) or can I add some other brand? Any special considerations when choosing?

Thanks again!
12 REPLIES 12

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Here is Mesa AZ. Just purchase 2, 305 watts, 45 VOC, 35 Vmp. Panels.
I will be installing them on my Rv with my older panels. Current system is a total of 1000 Watts, 45 Voc,and 32.5 Vmp.

I am not worried about 1.5 volt. This does show me that the newer panels have increase efficiency. Anyway, I digress, Cost of the 2 panels.......drum roll.
$120 each.
I am now out of real estate on my RV. no more climbing and elevating the panels.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

MrWizard
Jbrowland wrote:
hedge wrote:
The marketing at Zamp really irks me, I think their stuff is decent enough but how they try and fool people into thinking it's superior and their attempts at making it proprietary or to appear premium are IMO dishonest... and then their prices, or how they have ther cheesy connectores installed as OEM. /rant off

100% agreed about the marketing.

Here's another quick question. I also have a 100w portable panel that has its own charge controller and connects to the battery with gator clips. Any issue attaching it along with the existing Zamp panel using the gator clips that I should be aware of? I have done it before and all seemed well. Just thought I would ask though.

No problem, it will work together with no problems
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rtbmrgl
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
The marketing at Zamp really irks me, I think their stuff is decent enough but how they try and fool people into thinking it's superior and their attempts at making it proprietary or to appear premium are IMO dishonest... and then their prices, or how they have ther cheesy connectores installed as OEM. /rant off

Yeah Hedge,I just went to there website, the 200w kit is on the pricey side also. I was able to do the same basic installation for 1/2 the price. But I didn't buy top dog components either.

Mark
Roseville, Ca
Thanks, Mark
Roseville, ca
2009 AF990 camper
2007 Chevy 3500 Classic LBZ, Aero Tank-62 gal.
Bilstein 24 Torklift StableLoad.TorkLift Tie Downs.
Edge CTS-2 Evo.Tire-Safeguard
GL1800 75 Norton 73 Honda CB500k,
74 DT360 76 Bultaco 68 Yamaha YG5T
99 KDX220

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:

100% agreed about the marketing.

Here's another quick question. I also have a 100w portable panel that has its own charge controller and connects to the battery with gator clips. Any issue attaching it along with the existing Zamp panel using the gator clips that I should be aware of? I have done it before and all seemed well. Just thought I would ask though.

MrWizard
you want to try and match the voltage specs
VOC..open circuit voltage
VMP..loaded working voltage

number of watts and amps can vary, just get the voltage as close as possible when paralleling panels

series connections are a whole different thing
and must use identical matching panels, because of the series amp flow circuit
a 3amp panel would choke a 6amp panel and there would be NO gain
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input folks! I ask mostly because a Zamp brand panel is about 4x the cost of many others.

Zamp says this about my kit:

Deluxe 160 Watt RV Solar Kit, 30 Amp Deluxe Hardwired Solar RV Kit Contents โ€“

160 Watt Class A Monocrystalline High Efficiency, Highest Quality Solar Panel
30 Amp 5 Stage PWM Digital Deluxe Solar Charge Controller
Digital display for voltage, current amps, and amps per period of time.
LED Lights indicate operational status and battery charge status.
25 Feet of High Quality Wire Properly Sized for up to 450 watt of solar power. Wire Connectors Included ( 2- Butt Splice Connectors, 2 โ€“ Ring Terminal Connectors)
Our wire is made of high quality and purchased from an American company โ€“ any wiring that needs to be done is wired at our Bend, OR shop.
4 โ€“ Solar Panel Mounting Feet (Nuts, Bolts & Washers Included)
1 โ€“ Inline 30 Amp Breaker

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure your charge controller can handle the additional current your new panels can provide.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Jbrowland wrote:

I have a Zamp Deluxe 160W Solar kit installed on my 24ft class C. It has one 160W panel on the roof with a junction box on the roof already wired to the charge controller to easily add more panels. My question is when I decide to add another panel, say a 100W panel, do I need to add the same panel (Zamp mono) or can I add some other brand? Any special considerations when choosing?

Thanks again!

Matching panels are not required. The charge controller can't tell what brand or how many watts a panel has.

Except matching panels will give the best bang for the buck.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:

Thanks again!

Matching panels are not required. The charge controller can't tell what brand or how many watts a panel has.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76