cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electronic Ignition for Stovetop (w/pics)

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got tired enough of the piezoelectric igniter on my Atwood stovetop that I decided to replace it with a battery-powered igniter unit. You know what Iโ€™m talking about. You twist the knob; bam, bam, bam . . . bam, bam, bam and sometimes the burner lights and sometimes not.:M
I removed the old igniter and took some measurement to determine the available real estate. I found a replacement electronic igniter for Charbroil grills from Home Depot for $30 that looked promising.
The hole for the original igniter was 5/8โ€ and the new one requires 7/8โ€. If you have a unibit step drill, that would work nice. But since I donโ€™t and didnโ€™t want to spend the $$ I used a stone grinder bit and โ€œhoggedโ€ the hole out to 7/8. You need to โ€œcheatโ€ the hole slightly up and to the left for a little more clearance for the igniter.
Pull the wires off the old igniter and slide them on to the new, order does not matter. Even though the old igniter has round pins and the new has spade pins, the terminals slide on with a tight fit and work fine. Due to the higher voltage of this unit I saw occasional flashover between the terminals when it was activated. I solved that by adding a second layer of heat shrink over the terminals.
The new igniter has four terminals and since the stovetop only has three burners, that left one to add a sparker for the oven pilot light. The new unit comes with spare 37โ€ and 32โ€ igniter wires. I joined the two together and they were long enough to reach across the stovetop, and follow the oven control plumbing down into the oven. The longer wire looks like it has a high-temp coating, but I also wrapped the part that is actually in the oven with high-temp fiberglass tape. I needed a sparker so I removed the one from my gas grill side burner, which I never use anyway. After removing the burner assembly from the oven, I โ€œguesstimatedโ€ the location for the sparker and drilled a 7/16โ€ hole in the pilot support plate. Once the sparker was in place, I reinstalled the burner assembly. The sparker electrode had to be โ€œtweakedโ€ slightly to get a reliable spark to the outlet end of the pilot light tube.
If you donโ€™t add the oven igniter, you need to install one of the supplied wires on the fourth terminal and coil and stow the wire so that it wonโ€™t short to the stove. If you donโ€™t do this, the bare terminal on the igniter will flashover to the others.
After installing the single AA battery and turning on the gas, it was time for a test run.
Aaaahh . . . The stovetop burners light almost instantly, quietly and reliably. The electronic ignition sparks about six times per second for as long as you hold the button as opposed to three sparks per half-revolution of the knob on the old one.
The oven pilot lights nicely. Iโ€™ve found that if you turn the oven knob to โ€œpilotโ€ and hold it for about 10 seconds and then push the igniter button, it will light almost instantly. I was a little concerned about the wire in the oven, so I heated the oven to 500 degrees for a test. Everything looks good and smoke check passed.
DW is HAPPY, and you know what that means . . .:B

Before

Old Piezoelectric Igniter

New Electronic Igniter

Oven Pilot Light Sparker Installation

After

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.
186 REPLIES 186

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Well all I can say is that my Atwood has worked great for over 3 years and have seen no need to modify it. I really like the no pilot lit burners.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ronfisherman
I was going to replace my Suburban stove top because it did not have piezoelectric ignition. This looks like a much better plan and a lot less work. :C Thanks for the post.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

w6pea
Explorer
Explorer
ernestfortier wrote:
Great pictures great information. Thanks. I'll have to look into doing this myself. As soon as I get done procrastinating. I hope it will be soon.

I second this post.:W Great pictures good job.
Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

ernestfortier
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures great information. Thanks. I'll have to look into doing this myself. As soon as I get done procrastinating. I hope it will be soon.
Ernie Fortier
99 Bounder 34V
2 honda 2K paralled (for economy)
5.5 Onan onboard
96 Geo Tracker 4x4 Auto. convertable

Normk
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic! I'm on this like a sled dog on a pork chop!

Thanks hugely!

Alpenliter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dave, I have the same stove and I'm getting tired of having to get down on my hands and knees to light the oven whenever DW wants to use it. Your clear pictures and descriptions have given me the nudge I need to get the job done. Thanks very much for all your information and pictures!
My first Wife Linda, 45+years
2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade
Bulletproof Diesel upgrades
1997 33' Alpenlite
400 Watts Solar
Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174
Escapees SKP#89882

Vietnam Vet '67-'68

[

ccrain2851
Explorer
Explorer
wow.... very impressive.
C Crain
a Wife, 2 Kid, Dog & 2 Horses
'01 F250 SC LB 7.3 4x4
'10 Springdale 267BHSSR hooked to an Equal-i-zer
'01 Feather Lite Trailer G/N, 3 horse slant w/ living area hooked to a B&W turnover ball