cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How we added a whiteboard to our fridge

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
A whiteboard? If you know us, you'll also know organization and planning aren't our strong suit. We struggle with keeping organized when on the road and that includes having notes scrawled on random scraps of paper tucked in corners throughout the truck and trailer. Well, to combat this weakness we decided to make a central place to keep notes while camping. And to accomplish this menial task I wanted to use power tools to do it.

The idea is simple. Our RV refrigerator has removable front panels that we've already removed and painted to match the walls. So, we removed the panels (the only thing holding them in is some plastic trim and double sided tape) and replaced them with whiteboard paneling that we picked up at Home Depot for $10. All you need to do is remove the original panels, cut replacements the same size and slide them back in. I used a table saw to make all the cuts, but you can use a circular saw, jig saw, hand saw, razor knife or any other sharp tool capable of cutting paneling.

To see how we did it take a look at the below video.

https://youtu.be/sqqKHOVrbv8
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
25 REPLIES 25

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of doing the white board but opted for a brushed metal look, like a stainless fridge.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
Where'd you pickup the chalk board panels?

Home Depot had them for $9-$10 each.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
Thanks again for the idea. I finally got around to modding my fridge.

I went with chalkboard instead of whiteboard. I got some cool neon markers as well as traditional chalky-white markers. No chalk dust! And it comes off easy.

The panels come in 2' x 4' sections, and the stupid fridge is like 24 1/2" wide. I was able to fit it within the door channels, though. Looks so much better than the 1984 wallpaper that was on the doors.

Where'd you pickup the chalk board panels?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Cool! Looks good!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Must be using invisible ink...

Nope. Photobucket is a friggin nightmare with all the ads anymore. Took forever to get the 2nd pic uploaded. This pic was taken before the other one where the fridge is clean so the "ink" does clean off nice.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Must be using invisible ink...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the idea. I finally got around to modding my fridge.

I went with chalkboard instead of whiteboard. I got some cool neon markers as well as traditional chalky-white markers. No chalk dust! And it comes off easy.

The panels come in 2' x 4' sections, and the stupid fridge is like 24 1/2" wide. I was able to fit it within the door channels, though. Looks so much better than the 1984 wallpaper that was on the doors.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Hornnumb2 wrote:
I think after the writing has been there a while its really hard to get off?

It is, but ours never seems to stay longer than a week. If it stays longer, you can use some isopropyl alcohol and a little elbow grease
to clean it off.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
I think after the writing has been there a while its really hard to get off?

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
CharlesinGA wrote:
Somw thin steel sheet whiteboard would be nice, then fridge magnets, esp the flat ball game calendars and such you find in the free phonebooks you get in the mail, or at the tire store, could be stuck to them also.

Charles

I thought about that too...would make for a really cool upgrade.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-magnetic-galvanized-steel-dry-erase-board-projects-from-the-kitchn-217415

http://www.usmarkerboard.com/Unframed-Whiteboard-Sheet-Material/45180
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Somw thin steel sheet whiteboard would be nice, then fridge magnets, esp the flat ball game calendars and such you find in the free phonebooks you get in the mail, or at the tire store, could be stuck to them also.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedRocket204 wrote:
RVcircus wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Very cool idea! Not only that, you got to use power tools AND curse when you cut it too short. It doesn't get better than that!

Ha! Making mistakes and cursing seems to be my specialty:B

For me, add bleeding to that list! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Great mod!

Thanks!

Bleeding...now I'm pretty good at that too. I like to think I'm good with a knife, but I seem to cut myself with them fairly often. In my defense it always seems to be when opening a beer with a knife;)

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Very cool idea! Not only that, you got to use power tools AND curse when you cut it too short. It doesn't get better than that!

Ha! Making mistakes and cursing seems to be my specialty:B

For me, add bleeding to that list! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Great mod!
I love me some land yachting