cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How we installed our new electric trailer brakes

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
While getting ready for our first major trip of 2016 we decided it was time for new trailer brakes. Last year when getting the trailer inspected we noticed that the linings were starting to crack, but no chunks have started coming off. This year the cracks seem to have gotten worse, so I'm glad we finally replaced the brakes.

It took me about 30-45 minutes per wheel to replace the brakes which wasn't too bad considering I was fooling around with the camera the entire time. I also used our Andersen Rapid Jack to lift each wheel one at a time instead of jacking and blocking each side which worked out well.

Here's a list of tools and parts we used to complete this project:

* Replacement brakes
* Wheel bearing grease
* Jacks, stands, chocks, etc.
* Lug wrench
* Torque wrench
* Socket set
* Wire cutters & strippers
* Rags
* Brake cleaner
* Brake spoon
* New cotter pins
* Wire nuts or crimp connectors

The install was pretty straight forward and went as expected. Checkout the below video to see how we did it.

https://youtu.be/m-0RmPTAYOU
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
19 REPLIES 19

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the additional feedback! These are things I'll certainly keep in mind for future posts.

If anything, this seems to have been a good demo of the Andersen Rapid Jack (love it or hate it).

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Like the OP's initiative to spread information, but do have issues with some of the practices stated in video/thread text. This is based on a first career in fleet maintenance (lot boy to general manager angle perspective).
In today's social media driven society information is available on everything but greater scrutiny needs to be given to that information. This is a point totally missed by most that are living in the social media bubble who don't actively filter content within the proper context.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing the drums will not insure the new ones will be true.

When my trailer was new I had some brake problems mainly bad grease seals from the factory.

When I pulled the drums I noticed they did not show even marking on the drum surface.

Had a local machine shop check them out and three of the four were not concentric. By that I mean the drum surface was not concentric with the bearing bore. The machinist had to cut a fair amount of drum surface to fix the problem.

But after the brakes were much smoother operation than before.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I watched your video, and here are the thoughts that ran through my head.

I understood it was not a how-to brake job video. It was a demonstration of replacing an assembly, versus rebuilding the brakes. I appreciated it for what it was.

I also thought a jack stand would have been smart.

I was surprised that you did not replace the drums. They are also cheap, and since no one really turns them anymore, I think they should be replaced.

Was happy to see the trailer-aide gizmo in actual use. Now I know that I won't ever be tempted to buy one. I was not at all impressed with how it balanced under the tire in order to achieve enough lift.

Thanks for taking the time to add to Youtube as an RV resource.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is leaning towards Cherokee 274 RKS, I am more partial to the Coachmen C RV Freedom Express 248RBS mainly due to the weight factor and the humongous bathroom and outside kitchen and a slightly higher quality level. If we keep current rig thru this season and like seasonal camping , a Flagstaff 27RLWS may be the most viable option. While I enjoy taking on the projects, work is so busy that just forking over some $$ out weights any savings from refurbishing something. It is mainly just the 2 of us now, practically empty nesters so the bunk house route is not positive feature. By the time the grand kids make an appearance we will be ready for a new rig anyhow and can rethink the layout at that time. Enjoy your rig and be proud of all you have done to it!

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paul D. wrote:
RV Circus, Thanks for sharing your project, actually all your projects. Many folks are a bit hesitant to take on new things, your vids can really help "motivate" someone to venture into an area they are not entirely comfortable with. Kudos. Keep up the vids and info sharing, many do appreciate it. Been following your posts ever since we took on our re roofing projects at about the same time. May have found a buyer for my 08 today, so a new rig could be in the card in the next moth , then the mods start all over again!!! Shame too, I just installed a Surge Protector last night.

Thanks Paul! I love seeing everyone's projects/upgrades on here and hope people enjoy what we share as well.

Congrats on the new trailer. What are you looking at picking up? We keep drooling over all the RV's at each show, but I think a new trailer is still a few years out for us.

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
RV Circus, Thanks for sharing your project, actually all your projects. Many folks are a bit hesitant to take on new things, your vids can really help "motivate" someone to venture into an area they are not entirely comfortable with. Kudos. Keep up the vids and info sharing, many do appreciate it. Been following your posts ever since we took on our re roofing projects at about the same time. May have found a buyer for my 08 today, so a new rig could be in the card in the next moth , then the mods start all over again!!! Shame too, I just installed a Surge Protector last night.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bipeflier wrote:
Dang, a guy tries to give newbies a little help and understanding and all he gets is grief?

Each viewer is likely smart enough to judge the fitness of things like this for themselves.

Some of you know it alls on this board need to start your own website and give us the correct information.

Thanks for the support...it's very much appreciated!

I do appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative, as it does help me improve what I put out there. I do disagree with some of the comments posted, but that's expected and I don't mind discussing differences. Some people just love to spread their negativity, but hey, it's the internet so I guess they feel it's OK.

I discussed this last video with my wife before I posted it and she was disappointed that she didn't understand how to install brakes after watching it. I told her that's what I wanted and she was a bit confused. I don't want someone with no mechanical ability to watch my 2 1/2 minute DIY video and think they can safely install brakes. I intentionally left it vague for that reason. I don't expect anyone to use that video as a step by step guide to complete this job. The one positive I took out of the comments was to include a statement in the video stating this.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, a guy tries to give newbies a little help and understanding and all he gets is grief?

Each viewer is likely smart enough to judge the fitness of things like this for themselves.

Some of you know it alls on this board need to start your own website and give us the correct information.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVcircus wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
New brakes are VERY easy when you buy whole assembly
4 bolts and 2 wires.....install drum/set bearing preload and manually adjust brakes

I couldn't watch past first wheel removal.........no jack stands used so I passed on viewing further. Not good safe work practices being used.

I agree on the ease, but disagree on the safety. The trailer is hooked to the truck on the Rapid Jack. The jack is being used how it's intended.

If I was using a hydraulic jack I'd use jack stands, but not with this type of jack. The trailer can't move forward or backwards and would have to crush the jack to come down.

Yep,Manx that ST tire would never think of blowing!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Prospector wrote:
Go to youtube and do a search, and look thru them, if you don't know what you are doing or what to look for please take it to a competent trailer brake mechanic. I would hate to see you get in a wreck just because you saved some money. Just because you watch a video, just remember:

Think about how stupid the average person doing you tube videos is, and them realize that half of 'em are stupider than that!

Shame on you, Kevin. Why point him to stupid YouTube videos? I thought for sure you'd do better;)

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Go to youtube and do a search, and look thru them, if you don't know what you are doing or what to look for please take it to a competent trailer brake mechanic. I would hate to see you get in a wreck just because you saved some money. Just because you watch a video, just remember:

Think about how stupid the average person doing you tube videos is, and them realize that half of 'em are stupider than that!
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
I was surprised that you didn't show the viewers how to inspect the brake drum for wear and grooves where the linings contact the drum. I also wonder how you can adjust the brakes without having the tire on to spin.

My old auto shop teacher would have flunked you on your brake job and made you do it over and do it the correct way.

One last thing, if you are going to do a video on brakes, shame on you for not doing a complete, competent job. I hope nobody picks up your bad work habits and hurts himself or others because of faulty brakes.

Besides what could possibly go wrong?

Kevin,
Could you please supply a link to your more complete and accurate brake service video? I'll be pulling the hubs next week.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Prospector wrote:
I was surprised that you didn't show the viewers how to inspect the brake drum for wear and grooves where the linings contact the drum. I also wonder how you can adjust the brakes without having the tire on to spin.

My old auto shop teacher would have flunked you on your brake job and made you do it over and do it the correct way.

One last thing, if you are going to do a video on brakes, shame on you for not doing a complete, competent job. I hope nobody picks up your bad work habits and hurts himself or others because of faulty brakes.

Besides what could possibly go wrong?

I wouldn't expect someone to fully understand how to do brakes by watching a 2 1/2 minute video. That's not my goal. If I wanted to do a longer video I could include more details, including inspection and fine tuning the adjustment, but I didn't. There are plenty of 30 minute brake videos out there. People complain if it's too long or too short, so I'm trying to find a happy medium and that means leaving out some of the details.

Good thing I didn't have your shop teacher:B He would have certainly failed me.

I've added a note to the video for those that expect more out of 2 1/2 minutes on YouTube.

"NOTE: This video isn't meant to be a step by step guide to replacing brakes. This is an overview and some steps aren't explained in detail."