cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Underbed storage space - mod/improvement

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Underbed storage space is nice to have, but the problem is it's hard to organize stuff in it and find it when you need it. I ended up modifying it by adding drawers on one side and two trays on the top.

I started by cutting openings in the front of the box.

Made up a couple of drawer fronts (maple, stained to match the faux "smart cherry" paneling then varathaned) and 2 drawer boxes. I used the luan pieces I cut out for inset panels in the drawer fronts.

The lid on the storage box was made from 1/2" OSB and badly warped and I replaced it with plywood. The lid, box and struts were poorly put together at the factory and I had to some repairs. The gas strut on the left side was in the way on the left side so moved it towards the middle (had to reduce tension on the RH strut so the plywood wouldn't twist)

The finished drawers and fixed tray on the left side. The drawers and right side of the box are lined with yoga mat material - it's 1/4" thick and cushions well. I used heavy duty latches (10 lb JR Products) to keep the drawers sliding out due to the heavy weight of tools. I made removable dividers for the tray.

I made a removable tray for the right hand side. It can also slide left/right. I dressed up the exposed plywood edges on the lid with a bit of additional trim wood and ran a router over the edges to make it easier on the fingers and not catch on the linen.

It sure was a challenge getting the drawers and everything else properly aligned and fitted up. Nothing in a TT ever seems to be plumb, level, square or straight and on top of that is the poor workmanship at the factory. Had to do a lot of trial and error fitting, reinforcing and fixing of badly done original work. The only decent reference to work from was the floor.
11 REPLIES 11

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
That looks real nice and organized. You did a nice job with the modification.

For me, I find the space under the bed best to leave completely open. We store larger items under it, like extra rolls of TP, extra blankets, extra lawn chairs if we have guests, things like that. Basically, the items under the bed are the things we want with us, but very seldom do use, but you just never know when you might use them, but you don't want to to get rid of them at all .... items.

We have different places to store small stuff.

Last year I built the cabinets in the photos which are opposite the end of the bed. There was a blank wall originally with a large unused cavity behind it. That's where we put TP & linens. Bulky items like sleeping bag, pillows, etc. go under the sofa. Our model of TT has a good sized wardrobe next to the sofa. The bottom of the lower cabinet has a removable cover and there is more space for seldom used items and currently have extra sewer hose and hose supports in it - I sized it to allow for a couple if AGMs if I ever decide to use them.

There's never enough storage space in an RV it seems.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
WNYBob wrote:
Nice job. I did notice this was for tools!

Question what size of gas supports do you have? I have a similar size compartment, but mine will not stay up.

Ours are 18" long. The struts are available in different lengths, stroke and force ratings. If the struts don't work properly, they may not have been installed properly, they could be worn out or a heavier mattress may have been installed. Some RVs have shorter (front to rear) lids and some are hinged at the head of the bed. Not sure how much of the available stroke needs to be used. I just went by what was already there.

The mounting bracket locations and geometry is very important for correct operation. You may want the ball on the bracket at the rear of the bed slightly lower than the forward one so there is a bit of downward force when the lid is down. I tried eliminating the block of wood on the lid and it would not work properly. Have seen photos without the piece of wood under the lid.

One of the online RV parts vendors used to have a link to excellent installation info. but I can't find it now. Hatchlift.com has some good info. The video shows installation but seems to be overkill for re-inforcement.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job, looks good and very useful, give me an idea for my next mod
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job, I have been wanting to install drawers under the bed like that, just have not gotten around to it yet.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

For me, I find the space under the bed best to leave completely open. We store larger items under it, like extra rolls of TP, extra blankets, extra lawn chairs if we have guests, things like that. Basically, the items under the bed are the things we want with us, but very seldom do use, but you just never know when you might use them, but you don't want to to get rid of them at all .... items.

Agree, on both counts ... larger, seldom used items end up under our bed even though I've installed cabinet doors on the bed end platform to allow easier access. We've also found it a great spot for a (dirty laundry) basket so this mod, as well done as it is, just wouldn't work for us.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
nice job - Ours too is a catch all place for bigger things... When I raise up the bed end my first words are usually "so that's where I put electric skillet haha..."

I did work with one Class C guy putting a bunch of Electrical things under the bed. Actually his area for the bed was the roof of the garage storage area

His arrangement had the large garage storage area directly under his bed supported by two large outside doors so he was working with those walls as well and wanted to extend some of that up in the top compartments...

We Ham Radio guys are a weird bunch haha...

There certainly is a bunch of open space under the beds....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Gil, It is a very nice mod. Looks great and from what I can see, you are a fairly advanced sawdust maker. My first storage area mods were very utilitarian, now I try and make them look like they were made in a cabinetry shop.

We just changed rigs and have storage under the queen bed, I'll have to wait for a trip or two and then see what the DW would like. I'll keep your pictures on file, Thanks.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
........... I did notice this was for tools!.........

I too would have put the tools in there to show the ample space created for a nice pic. But it wouldn't take my DW long to order me to get those darn things outta-there! ๐Ÿ™‚

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I did notice this was for tools!

Question what size of gas supports do you have? I have a similar size compartment, but mine will not stay up.

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing and you did a great job. I see some copycats in gin my future if DW sees your post.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer