Explorer
Tips for a grilling light I try to off to the side
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
I always hated grilling after dark. Artificial lights never make the food look right for judging doneness. So mostly I just avoided grilling after dusk.

Then I discovered instant read probe thermometers. Now I seldom grill without one, and now what the food looks like doesn't mean much. It's done when the thermometer says it's done, and the flashlight in my cell phone is all the light I need.

Won't help much with marauding bears though. Just pick a fight if your beans are at risk. I mean, heck, some things are worth fighting for.

beans, probably not. now grab my steak and its going down
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
You might try grilling in the day time, works wonders.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I always hated grilling after dark. Artificial lights never make the food look right for judging doneness. So mostly I just avoided grilling after dusk.

Then I discovered instant read probe thermometers. Now I seldom grill without one, and now what the food looks like doesn't mean much. It's done when the thermometer says it's done, and the flashlight in my cell phone is all the light I need.

Won't help much with marauding bears though. Just pick a fight if your beans are at risk. I mean, heck, some things are worth fighting for.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
myredracer wrote:

If you do a lot of cooking at night in buggy areas, this is definitely something to think about buying. Very bright, and off to the side -- so bugs are attracted to the light, not to the grill where you are cooking.
Nice thing about a propane lantern is the distinctive hiss/woosh sound. You know you're out camping then... ๐Ÿ™‚ For me, it's like music because it reminds me of camping at my parents cabin as a kid because we had no power there.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

If you do a lot of cooking at night in buggy areas, this is definitely something to think about buying. Very bright, and off to the side -- so bugs are attracted to the light, not to the grill where you are cooking.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use and love these.

They have three power settings, a strobe and a red emergency flasher. I gave one to my daughter and wife to keep in her glove box. They attach with a carabiner or stick with a magnet that is in the base. They last about 5 hours on a charge and are easily recharged with a standard mini-usb phone charger.

I have about 4 of them and we use them clipped on the popup awning, next to the steps into the camper if we don't want the awning light on but want to make sure no one slips going in the camper, clip them on a lantern pole or tree limb over the grilling table, stick them on the side of the truck to put light on the cornhole board if we are playing after dark, even used them as a flashlight when the daughter has laid our down and needs to go to the shower house or the truck for something.

Lastly, they are durable. I've had my first couple about 4 years. Still going strong, never failed to perform as expected. The other two I bought 2 years ago and they are the same except green instead of orange.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
riven1950 wrote:
Don't grill much in the dark, but these work pretty good.Got a little hook you can hang on the front of your shirt and keep your hands free.

They are really expensive though ๐Ÿ˜‰

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=2419&campaign=b&page=freecou...

Good idea, Harbor Freight has a very similar light that they sometimes give for free with purchase. You just have to keep an eye out on the ads.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are cooking in the woods, turn on a lantern. Forty years ago I was cooking some bean soup on a Coleman stove in Oregon in the dark. I turned on a flashlight to check the soup and there was a black bear on his hinds legs on the other side of the picnic table. I backed up and he jumped on the table and proceeded to eat the soup. After that I used a light.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Don't grill much in the dark, but these work pretty good.Got a little hook you can hang on the front of your shirt and keep your hands free.

They are really expensive though ๐Ÿ˜‰

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=2419&campaign=b&page=freecou...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like These little Guys Super bright and can be positioned where you like.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hsve a 12V LED flood light.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Head light or one that clips to visor of a baseball cap.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed