cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making silicone parts for the RV

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, this may have been one on our most over complicated projects, but it's something I wanted to play with and I needed an excuse (not necessarily a good excuse). I've been wanting to try Sugru for a long time now and never got around to buying some and when I saw a video on How to make Proto-Putty I needed to give it a shot. I didn't necessarily make these clips because they're a great idea, but more to see what could be done with Proto Putty that could be useful in the trailer.

We tend to give the kids glow sticks while at the campground and after we get inside the kids leave them everywhere. I've been meaning to add hooks for them to hang by their beds for some extra light, but I decided it would be much more fun to make some overkill silicone clips to hold them.

To get started you'll need:

• 100% clear silicone #1
  • Cornstarch
  • Food coloring
  • Something to mix the silicone
  • Disposable plates or bowls
  • Maybe some disposable gloves

To see how we did it checkout the below video.

https://youtu.be/SOoWDiC-hb4

If you're looking for an easy way to hang glows ticks you can just use a hook. On the other hand I can think of a ton of legitimate uses for the RV like hooks, bumpers, organizers, new tool grips, etc.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
5 REPLIES 5

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Cool material. Now, I'm thinking of different uses, lol.

I already told my wife to expect a bunch of silicone stuff around the house now! Now that I've used it I keep seeing new uses for it...kind of like the hammer/nail analogy:B

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
24v wrote:
So proto putty is just homemade Sugru? That's pretty awesome, and much more economical. I have used Sugru for a few small projects and it is very handy. Thanks for the info!

It's like Sugru, but a little messier and cures in about 10 minutes instead of 24 hours. It's very cool stuff!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Cool material. Now, I'm thinking of different uses, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

24v
Explorer
Explorer
So proto putty is just homemade Sugru? That's pretty awesome, and much more economical. I have used Sugru for a few small projects and it is very handy. Thanks for the info!

MrWizard
Looks like fun
Thanks
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s