cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EGR valve. CEL problem. On Cummins ISB6.7L in DP

kahoona
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cummins ISB6.7L in Freightliner chassis. Recently started getting a check engine light which became more frequent. Their was also power loss when it was on.The CEL is for "EGR out of calibration" This means not working right since it cannot be calibrated. EGR cleaning should be every 75,000 mi and I have 62,000. I did remove it and found that the valve had some carbon which did partially block the valve "plunger" making it hang up. I cleaned that and it moves freely now. I also tried to clean the small passages beneath the sensor but was unable to fully get in there because the one allen screw was frozen in place. Did what I could with "purple power cleaner. Same with the sensor. I filled the passages with parts cleaner and let them soak then blew them out with canned air.

I drove it yesterday for about three hours at 65mph with some stop and go. The CEL camo on after an hour and came and went with some power loss. No shange.

Questions?
Is there a way to test the sensor or tell if it is the problem by the codes or behavior?
Can I clean it and the passages with flammable brake cleaner?
Does the "actuator (solenoid) go bad and can I test it with 12v applied to it's wire harness?

Any answers or help will be appreciated. If I know what needs replaced before I clear out under the bed again it would be a big help.
Kahoona

Just think of it as a boat except that it is the top that needs to be waterproof.
0 REPLIES 0