cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Pound Propane Re fill Adapter

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the adapter to put on your 30 lbs tank to enable you to refill the 1 lb disposable tanks. I was looking into purchasing one to avoid lugging around the 20 lb tank for my BBQ.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
40 REPLIES 40

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
Irish2 wrote:
Has anyone used the adapter to put on your 30 lbs tank to enable you to refill the 1 lb disposable tanks. I was looking into purchasing one to avoid lugging around the 20 lb tank for my BBQ.
While the chances of getting caught are slim, the process is illegal in Canada.
Read this advisory.
In the US it is illegal to transport refilled containers across State lines (!).
As I say, chances of getting caught are slim unless there is a problem.

Everything is illegal. people can't be trusted. Next thing you know they won't trust you to change your own diapers without oversight. ๐Ÿ™‚

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently bought a refill adapter. I filled about 13 canisters with only two that leaked. It is easy and safe to do as long as you follow the procedures. It is sometimes easier to hook up a little tank than to get out a 20# and the adapter and hoses.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
720Deere wrote:
My vote is for the 5 lb bottle and hose. It seems a little spendy at first, but it pays for itself pretty quickly when buying propane at bulk prices. With adapter hose, I always have the option of using one of my 30 lb bottles also.

If you ever saw how thin the metal is on those 1 lb cylinders, you wouldn't want to play with refilling them!
The nice thing about the 1 lb cylinders is that you can use the device where you need it without dragging a hose and a larger tank around. I thought of using a hose from my large tank for my Buddy heater but I move it from the bathroom area to warm up the shower areas on cold fall nights to the front area afterwards. I have yet to try to refill the tanks.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for the 5 lb bottle and hose. It seems a little spendy at first, but it pays for itself pretty quickly when buying propane at bulk prices. With adapter hose, I always have the option of using one of my 30 lb bottles also.

If you ever saw how thin the metal is on those 1 lb cylinders, you wouldn't want to play with refilling them!
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I used one of those adapters a few times, but found it to be a real hassle, and stinky! I bought a 10# bottle, which is much easier to carry around than a 20#, and lasts a lot longer than a whole bunch of refilled 1# bottles.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, The point though is to allow for an easier transfer, not over fill your one pound bottle. Myself, I prefer to error on the side of caution when dealing with any flammable. To make things easier, I found a four legged wooden stool approx. 30" tall and with a round top & cut a pattern out of the seat area to match the larger tank when turned up side down. The fill tank fits perfectly into the cut out area, is stable, & allows for easy access to the the valve control. Picked up the stool at a thrift store for about $9
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
By cooling the 1-lb. propane bottles in a freezer for at least 20-30 minutes reduces the pressure inside the bottle; thus facilitates the flow of propane from the larger tank to the smaller one.
Meaning you can get more gas in.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
By cooling the 1-lb. propane bottles in a freezer for at least 30-45 minutes reduces the pressure inside the bottle; thus facilitates the flow of propane from the larger tank to the smaller one.

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
I'd like to comment on the use of the adapter & refilling the one pound bottles & hopefully offer a few tips for those considering this option in place of purchasing new bottles constantly.
First and foremost, be safe. Always refill in a well ventilated area. The first step is to inspect the empty bottle you intend on filling. The next thing after selecting a few bottles for refill, is to empty them completely of any remaining gas, use gloves & depress the valve body until nothing comes out. Check the label on the bottle to confirm what the "net weight" is, not all bottles are equal. Once you know what the net weight is, use a postal scale ( bought mine on Ebay for about $15 ) & weigh the empty bottle, once again not all bottles are the same. Write each bottle weight down, You will need this information to determine later on if you've over filled a single bottle. By adding the weight of the empty bottle & the net weight together will determine the maximum weight after fill. If you have over filled beyond this combined weight, simply depress the valve & release some gas & recheck weight. The entire purpose of this is to allow for the expansion of the gas as the ambient temperature increases.
The next thing is to place the empty bottles in the refrigerator or freezer for 20-30 minutes , they must be colder than the tank being used to fill from. Next, Turn the tank being used to fill from "up side down" & stabilize somehow, still allowing access to the control valve. With the main tank valve still closed, screw the adapter onto the main tank then screw the one pound cylinder onto the adapter. Once these connections are made, open the main tank valve & start filling the smaller bottle. The time it takes to fill the smaller bottles varies. I normally time it for 60 seconds then close the main tank valve, unscrew the bottle & check it's weight. If you're close to or at the previously recorded total weight for that bottle, you're done. If there is still room for more propane in the bottle, just repeat the fill steps above. After using a refilled bottle a couple of times, dispose of it and get more empty ones. A good place to look for empty bottles are in the campground garbage cans.
Yes, I have done this a few times
I just purchased the adapter and this info is great. What is the purpose of placing the 1# in the freezer?

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
The following information is my opinion only & what I do to refill one pound propane tanks. If you find it informative - great !!

I do not assume any responsibility for the use of this information by others. Refilling these canisters is a risky proposition & if you decide to do this, it is by your single decision & responsibility to do so, with the understanding that my information is just that - information on how I've done it.

I'd like to comment on the use of the adapter & refilling the one pound bottles & hopefully offer a few tips for those considering this option in place of purchasing new bottles constantly. Your decision & your responsibility.
First and foremost, be safe. Always refill in a well ventilated area. The first step is to inspect the empty bottle you intend on filling. The next thing after selecting a few bottles for refill, is to empty them completely of any remaining gas, use gloves & depress the valve body until nothing comes out. Check the label on the bottle to confirm what the "net weight" is, not all bottles are equal. Once you know what the net weight is, use a postal scale ( bought mine on Ebay for about $15 ) & weigh the empty bottle, once again not all bottles are the same. Write each bottle weight down, You will need this information to determine later on if you've over filled a single bottle. By adding the weight of the empty bottle & the net weight together will determine the maximum weight after fill. If you have over filled beyond this combined weight, simply depress the valve & release some gas & recheck weight. The entire purpose of this is to allow for the expansion of the gas as the ambient temperature increases.
The next thing is to place the empty bottles in the freezer for 30-45 minutes , they must be colder than the tank being used to fill from. Next, Turn the tank being used to fill from "up side down" & stabilize somehow, still allowing access to the control valve. With the main tank valve still closed, screw the adapter onto the main tank then screw the one pound cylinder onto the adapter. Once these connections are made, open the main tank valve & start filling the smaller bottle. The time it takes to fill the smaller bottles varies. I normally time it for 60 seconds then close the main tank valve, unscrew the bottle & check it's weight. If you're close to or at the previously recorded total weight for that bottle, you're done. DO NOT OVER-FILL, If there is still room for more propane in the bottle, just repeat the fill steps above. DO NOT OVER- FILL. After using a refilled bottle a couple of times, dispose of it and get more empty ones. A good place to look for empty bottles are in the campground garbage cans.
Yes, I have done this a few times

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

SpringerPop
Explorer
Explorer
If you know what the tank's Tare Weight is (the weight of the tank itself, with no gas in it), then it's a simple matter to determine when the proper amount of propane has been transferred into it.

I use a luggage scale and a cut open used gallon milk jug to weigh the finished product to ensure it's not over-filled.

Pop

DennisSt99
Explorer
Explorer
I've used them and they work fine if you follow the directions and put the empty 1 pound bottle in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes before hand. Keep in mind that you have to be capable of turning the 20 pounder upside down to fill the 1 pound canister which might be a problem for some.

As someone else pointed out, I usually just buy a few 1 pounders when I find them on sale but I use the refill option if I run out while dry camping. My own rule of thumb is to not try to refill a canister more than 3 times (I use a marker on the bottle to tally this) and I seldom try to fill more than about half way.

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all! Great information. I just ordered the adapter.

Much appreciated.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

_ignmoney
Explorer
Explorer
AZDesertRat wrote:
Been using one for years and they work great. Place the 1# cylinders in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, screw it on the adapter which is tightened on the 20 or 30 lb cylinder, turn it upside down, open the valve until you hear the bubbling and sound stop, shut it off, trun it over, disconnect and do it all over again with another.

I have found some brands like Coleman fill better than off brands for some reason but I have 10 or so 1# I have been refilling for several years with no issues. As someone already mentioned, it sucks when the Buddy heater runs out in the middle of the night and it 4 degrees outside. Beats running the furnace or generator and an electric heater.

Same here, I use them for ice fishing mostly, to heat my hut. Works great. I use a snow bank to cool down my 1#ers. Been using them for years and this year being so cold and we refilled so many I had a 20# tank run out on me. First time ever. Esay to do but still BE CAREFUL!
My wife and I had words...I didn't get to use mine