cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore power inlet installation

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I recently acquired another RV, so it was time to add a Marine style shore power inlet like I did on my previous RV.

Here's the detailed video of the project
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
8 REPLIES 8

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Marinco has some nice cords with a right angle end. I think I will get of of those.

So far I'm just using the adapter i posted in the previous message.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I have this as well, which I have used a lot on my truck camper and cargo trailer. I will use it on the TT at home too....

30 amp twist lock to 15 amp dongle

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
You forgot to show how to wrestle a cold stiff cord and then find a place to store it, now that it won't be inside the RV.

I find it much easier to coil up a cold stiff power cord and put in a forward exterior storage compartment, than to push a cold stiff power cord back through the "mouse hole" that was on my trailer.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
You forgot to show how to wrestle a cold stiff cord and then find a place to store it, now that it won't be inside the RV.

With my clipper (motorhome) I simply leave it at home if I'm dry camping. If I'll have hookups, I just toss it in the back of the rig so I can grab it on arrival and hookup. Much easier than spending time trying to wrestle that stiff cord into a little space and then wrestle it back out.

With my FnR (trailer) I now do the same. When I start traveling with it, it will go on the floor in the backseat of my tow vehicle. Ready to grab when needed, ignored when not. Again a lot easier than trying to wrestle it into a little space and then wrestle it back out.

My boss just installed the inlet on my trailer a few weeks ago for me. I had to shove the attached cord into the hole to drive it to where he was - that took about 2 minutes. When I got there, it took us 10 minutes to get it pulled out so he could cut it off. In comparison, at that point, I just tossed the cord in the back of my vehicle, drove home, and plugged in the trailer with it - maybe 30 seconds to deal with the cord.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neat install - looks great...

What I have seen done for this problem was to cut off the 25-foot long 30A cables just a couple of feet out the the trailer. Then install the proper connector on the short cable sticking out of the trailer. Then you can install a mating connector to the 25-foot long cable and use like an extension cord... When done unhook it and it should be easy then to push the short cable back into the hole????...

My 30A shore power cable is permantentally connected and I have to twist it back into the hole as hole when not using it...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You don't wrestle it. You replace it with "soo" or "soow" wire. You can get 40 feet of soo 50amp cord in a 5 gallon bucket for storage.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:

Sounds like a good reason to make another video. Thanks for the idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer