cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade tail lights to led?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C has Bargman tail lights (3 lights each side, two stop or turn, and a backup light) i want to replace the lenses and bulbs with the plug in bargman LED replacements, i have read reviews and also read about the dreaded "hyper flash" scenario and some even state that the LEDs caused a check engine light on their rig. I have a 2006 Ford E450 Super Duty. But im hesitant to try them due to the aforementioned issues, Anyone here have any experience with them?
Proud father of a US Marine
14 REPLIES 14

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
.......i want people to see my brake lights. maybe if the btake lights are VERY bright, it will make people behind me stop looking at their darn cell phones and pay attention to what they are doing :B

If you really want to catch their eye, add this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-Car-Truck-3rd-Brake-Light-Strobe-Flash-Control-Module-GS-100A-US...

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Why are you changing to led?
Likely because they're more reliable, safer, and require less maintenance.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Use this one, made by Bargman:

Bargman LED Module upgrade
Bob

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Well, 1st, because there is barely ANY sort of reflector behind the bulb ( i already put aluminum duct sealing tape to help with this issue which does help some)

2 i want people to see my brake lights.

3 maybe if the btake lights are VERY bright, it will make people behind me stop looking at their darn cell phones and pay attention to what they are doing :B

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Hyper flashing can be solved by changing the flasher relay (assuming it is replaceable). On some (most ?) newer Ford vehicles, the flashing is controlled by the BCM/"Smart Junction Box"/or whatever they call it these days !

A resistor kit defeats the whole purpose of switching to LED in order to reduce the current.

EDIT : This bulletin applies SPECIFICALLY to 2008MY Super Duty F-Series. It states that the flashing rate CAN BE ADJUSTED by modifying parameters inside the Smart Power Distribution unction Box processors.

I am not sure when this happened to E-Series.

I don't think most of us switch to LED to save current, we switch for the brighter, faster acting properties and perhaps a more modern look.
As you know, the minimal current involved of a bulb or resistor is inconsequential to the operation of the vehicle or its fuel efficiency.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for the replies, i dont remember if both my stop lights blink or only 1 ... I will have to fire up the rv and check. I am worried both do and with 2 leds blinking might be enough to cause issues. Im going to check with bargman because i think i remember reading that their sealed LED's already had resistors built in

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Hyper flashing can be solved by changing the flasher relay (assuming it is replaceable). On some (most ?) newer Ford vehicles, the flashing is controlled by the BCM/"Smart Junction Box"/or whatever they call it these days !

A resistor kit defeats the whole purpose of switching to LED in order to reduce the current.

EDIT : This bulletin applies SPECIFICALLY to 2008MY Super Duty F-Series. It states that the flashing rate CAN BE ADJUSTED by modifying parameters inside the Smart Power Distribution unction Box processors.

I am not sure when this happened to E-Series.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The 95 will be much different than the OP 06 Ford, which probably doesn't have a replaceable flasher. If you do have a seperate flasher then you would be able to replace it and solve any fast flash issue. But I would be very surprised if you had a flasher. But, maybe cab-chassis are different than the P/U trucks.
I installed those tai lights on my last TT and they are very bright and easy to see from every angle.
Personally, I would just go for it and if you have fast flash issues, get a couple of resistors off eBay for that purpose. It would be worth the extra work.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
I have the Bargman up grade LEDs on my 95 Bounder. No flasher problems but I did have cruse control and torque converter clutch problems. I spliced in 4 194 incandescent bulbs, with sockets, behind the tail/stop lights and all the problems went away. The Bargman LED assembles are great. You will be seen! I paid $119 for the 3 lens pair from PPL motorhomes, delivered.

Richard

The incandescent lamps act as a shunt. There are resister kits you can do probably cheaper.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Bargman up grade LEDs on my 95 Bounder. No flasher problems but I did have cruse control and torque converter clutch problems. I spliced in 4 194 incandescent bulbs, with sockets, behind the tail/stop lights and all the problems went away. The Bargman LED assembles are great. You will be seen! I paid $119 for the 3 lens pair from PPL motorhomes, delivered.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you intend to buy the replacements, have the seller watch as you install the new lights. If they don't work, return them on the spot.

I installed the electronic flasher module on both my rigs, load doesn't change the rate of flash.

We did have this problem with solid state switches and the optically programmable traffic signals, a shunt at each lamp solved the problem, I have heard of that with some LED panels but never with something like Bargman.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
LED's can cause many problems when they replace incandescent bulbs on a vehicle, as the vehicle often does not recognize the very low amp draw as a bulb in place and working. Consequently, hyper flashing turn signals, replace bulbs warning lights, and other issues can occur. However, on a trailer, none of that happens. The to vehicle merely sends an electrical charge to the trailer for turn, stop, and running lights.

Go ahead and replace the lights on your trailer with LED's. You will be happy!

But i have a Class C motorhome.... Not a trailer

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
LED's can cause many problems when they replace incandescent bulbs on a vehicle, as the vehicle often does not recognize the very low amp draw as a bulb in place and working. Consequently, hyper flashing turn signals, replace bulbs warning lights, and other issues can occur. However, on a trailer, none of that happens. The to vehicle merely sends an electrical charge to the trailer for turn, stop, and running lights.

Go ahead and replace the lights on your trailer with LED's. You will be happy!