Modified sine

To a Magnum 2812. I have a bank of 6 inter state wet cell 6 volt golf cart
Batts. Your thought s
31 REPLIES 31

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
I have the 2812, and while it works well, I would not buy it again. Mine is six years old at this point.

Mainly my gripe is 12v. I should have studied more and went with a higher voltage on the battery bank. The biggest issue is the difference between full and "empty". On a 12v system that's only 0.8 volts, not much margin. On a 48v system you have 3.2 volt difference to work with.

Victron has more bells and whistles, not sure what improvements they offer.

I have been looking at putting a 48V Victron in my motorhome with storage provided by used Tesla battery packs. My main hangups getting 48V power on the road for recharging and supplying enough 12V power while stopped to run the those appliances. Do you have some suggests there?

Both the main motor and the generator start off of 12V so I want to keep some redundancy there to be sure that I don't get stranded someday.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Yes both companies do. But there may be a significant price jump.

I was budgeting somewhere between $800-$1200 (US) for the item, when and if it is needed.

I selected the current one based upon online research, but I always hope for those with expertise over my own lack thereof.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes both companies do. But there may be a significant price jump.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Planning,

2000 watts is "over kill" for running a residential fridge. I doubt the Magnum will fail.

Yes, I knew when I specified the size it was larger than needed. The one thing I like about overkill is that it always kills :C

I am thankful for your confidence in the robustness of it.

I would prefer to stay at the 2000w capability, with the same features as the existing (remote monitor panel, integral transfer switching, A/C pass through, etc).

Do those companies make comparable models with that feature package?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Planning,

2000 watts is "over kill" for running a residential fridge. I doubt the Magnum will fail.

1000 watts should be just fine. Samlex is a good name. https://www.amazon.com/Samlex-SSW-1000-12A-1000-watt-Pure-Inverter/dp/B004OU8UK4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1W2...

Victron makes a nice 1200 watt PSW unit: https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-Inverter-Phoenix-1200W/dp/B07P7RNRJ5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=victr...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Magnum is a solid unit but probably on the lower end as far as features.

Sir,

We do not boondock whatsoever; we travel from pedestal-to-pedestal, (and remove batteries place on a Deltran battery tender during the winter.)

The RV uses a Progressive 9280 with integral "Charge wizard" for battery charging.

We currently operate using a Magnum CSW2012-X Pure Sine Wave Inverter
(2000W) with remote monitor. Thus far it has worked flawlessly; it is used for the residential reefer while driving. It is not a battery charger type inverter.

My question is, in the event of inverter failure/replacement needed, do you have any recommendations for a similarly sized/featured pure sine inverter (inverter only, no battery charging needed)?

(I prefer to perform my research before a need arises.)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Hybrid does not refer to charging from solar panels. Nor does it mean it is an inverter/charger--but all hybrids would be inverter chargers.

allen8106 wrote:
I have one of the smaller hybrid Magnums and love it. Hybrid means it's a Charger/Inverter. they are designed to charge the batteries from solar panels or from the electrical grid.
Regards, Don

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
I have one of the smaller hybrid Magnums and love it. Hybrid means it's a Charger/Inverter. they are designed to charge the batteries from solar panels or from the electrical grid.

From the Magnum manual:

Why is the MSH-M Series a โ€œHybridโ€? Most inverters only use one source of energy to power the inverter loadsโ€”either from the incoming AC power (i.e., shorepower or generator) or from the batteries. The MSH-M Series combines the energy from both the AC input and the batteries to power the inverter loads. This feature gives the inverter the ability to recharge the battery when there is surplus power, or to deliver more power to the loads if they require more than the AC input can supply by itself.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
GordonThree,

KD4UPL said low end on features--not on quality. He fixes inverters and the like so has a better idea than most of us about what parts are inside.

The fact he has not seen a Victron and loves Outback is to be listened to.

I think Victron is far older than Magnum. Nice big fat transformers, etc.
Regards, Don

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Magnum is a solid unit but probably on the lower end as far as features. Outback is nearly indestructible and has some fancier programming options. I have no experience with Victron.

Magnum is low end, using what scale?

It's old technology, does that make it low end, or make it "stick with what works?"
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi KD4UPL,

I thought Magnum was great but after mine caught on fire.....

I do admit to pushing it HARD. But I never over loaded it if you believe the specifications.

KD4UPL wrote:
Magnum is a solid unit but probably on the lower end as far as features. Outback is nearly indestructible and has some fancier programming options. I have no experience with Victron.
Regards, Don

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
My Magnum 3012 hybrid has been trouble free for the past 39 months using it everyday, never been turned off. No noisy bearings and no magic smoke. No complaints.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

Hybird mode:
If you're running a small generator and it won't power your load the inverter will "help" the generator by providing additional power to the load. It pulls this power from the batteries which are not being recharged while doing this. So, it only works for so long. Eventually, theoretically, your load drops to where the generator can handle it alone and the inverter recharges the batteries.