cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011 Open Range Roamer RF316RLS

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking at this model (2011 Open Range Roamer RF316RLS). Im living in a 2004 terry quantum right now which is a bunk model. Its just me and my little dog.

Can anyone give me any advice on this one? I keep reading conflicting stories about these 2011 units. Is it true they had issues with the front breaking? I read people have had to have them gusset welded to repair. One dealer had one listed and it read "if it breaks in half you own both halves". WOW

I really like some of the features.. this one has the 4 season package which is the main reason Im looking. Im in the charlotte NC area now and winters can be quite cold at times. Im afraid Id freeze up and im also afraid the cost to heat is going to be crazy. Right now Im paying way too much for my spot plus electricity but Im going to start to look for a new one.

anyway.. slam storage doors, black tank cleanout system, Double living room slide, island kitchen with lots of storage, and a slid bedroom with a fair amount of storage.. mine is a mid size so bumping my head is getting old.. at 54 Im too old to be bumping my head when I get into bed. I also like the shower, much easier to get in and out of and maintain.. basement is heated so no worries there with freeze up.. porcelain toilet would be nice.

Hmm one thing I wonder, does the 4 season come with double pane windows? I didnt see anything in the brochure about what the 4 season package includes.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/assets/front-end/pdf/brochure-archive/2011/Roamer-2011.pdf

Says residential queen size mattress.. does that mean it is indeed full length?

I cannot see it until tuesday and its 1.5 hrs away.

Price seems reasonable. $13k asking.

any advise would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
The 316 is the smallest in the Open Range Roamer line. I would think if a 2011 was gonna crack it would have happened by now. They did have a fix for that early issue but I don't recall when that was. What they did was add gussets in the framing near the propane tanks. You would be able to see that when opening the propane doors.
By the way, Open Range is not the only brand with cracking frames.
JK

thank you.. I understand that there are cracking issues with lippert frames.

Good points.. Im hoping that all issues including cable run slide outs have been taken care of.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Why buy a unit with a known major defect? There are plenty of RV's out there that don;t have such a major problem. The frame is the foundation of the RV, if it is faulty, the whole RV can be destroyed! Keep looking.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 316 is the smallest in the Open Range Roamer line. I would think if a 2011 was gonna crack it would have happened by now. They did have a fix for that early issue but I don't recall when that was. What they did was add gussets in the framing near the propane tanks. You would be able to see that when opening the propane doors.
By the way, Open Range is not the only brand with cracking frames.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I have not camped below freezing but would in this unit. If you'd like to see what frame flex is PM me with your email address and I'll send you photos of the bulge near the front cap area.

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
i have a 13' and had what they call frame flex at the front side caps. fixed under warranty but i can still see some flexing. The cable system is OK but they put weak switches in before 14' so you'd have to check for that upgrade. Overall I'm happy with my unit. If the owner kept up on maintenance then I'd say get it if you like the layout.

Thank you for your response. When I go to look at the unit can I see this location to check it for cracks?

Have you camped when below freezing?

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 13' and had what they call frame flex at the front side caps. fixed under warranty but i can still see some flexing. The cable system is OK but they put weak switches in before 14' so you'd have to check for that upgrade. Overall I'm happy with my unit. If the owner kept up on maintenance then I'd say get it if you like the layout.