cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Have To Choose Between Raptor/Carbon 27 and XLR 27?

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
I'm debating between a used 2014 Raptor 27FS and a 2013 XLR 27HFS. The units are very similar except the Raptor seems to have roughly 800# more carrying capacity and the A/C is a 15,000 BTU instead of a 13.5. I believe the heater is also a higher BTU rating but I have not confirmed that with the dealer yet. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which one to go with. The Raptor is $19,900 and the XLR is $16,900 so a $3,000 difference.

My big hangup is the rear door location on the XLR. It's just my girlfriend and I and we would be using the rear bed in the garage as a storage shelf type of thing. However, from the photos I've seen (I've never looked at an XLR as there is not one within 500 miles of me) you could not use the rear man door in the garage if the bed was halfway down as it would block the door.

We are using the unit extensively in the winter for skiing and snowmobiling and the rear door is important as we'd enter through there so we don't fill the LQ with snow. Do any of you that own one have this problem with the rear door location?

Any thoughts or advice to make my decision any easier?
3 REPLIES 3

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Doug,

We've had a few different rigs for ski season. For the last couple years it was a 5th wheel toy hauler and before that we took a truck bed camper to Alaska. I've always stayed in the resort parking lot. Some say no overnight vehicles but I don't pay too much attention to that. Once at Jackson Hole they asked me to move (I was staying in a back lot) but they actually told me to move to the closest lot. It was great.

You may not be able to set up camp for weeks at a time but I'll stay for a few days. If they ask me to move it's not a problem and I'll move the rig. Sometimes I've just had a note on the windshield asking me to move while other times someone has asked me in person.

Canada is the best though because they don't care how long you stay or what you stay in. I've talked with others at Revelstoke who were set up in the parking lot for 2 months. Here in the US it seems to be Forest Service regulations that make for the rules.

During winter we don't use the water in the TH at all. No matter how insulated it is I just don't trust it. Plus, if I ran out of propane and the heater went out then the pipes would definitely freeze. I just carry 5 gallon jugs of water with us.

Hopefully this helps you. If you want to check out the latest with our rig you can find us on Instagram and Facebook @adventurerig

douglasbmason
Explorer
Explorer
freetheheal wrote:
I'm debating between a used 2014 Raptor 27FS and a 2013 XLR 27HFS. The units are very similar except the Raptor seems to have roughly 800# more carrying capacity and the A/C is a 15,000 BTU instead of a 13.5. I believe the heater is also a higher BTU rating but I have not confirmed that with the dealer yet. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which one to go with. The Raptor is $19,900 and the XLR is $16,900 so a $3,000 difference.

My big hangup is the rear door location on the XLR. It's just my girlfriend and I and we would be using the rear bed in the garage as a storage shelf type of thing. However, from the photos I've seen (I've never looked at an XLR as there is not one within 500 miles of me) you could not use the rear man door in the garage if the bed was halfway down as it would block the door.

We are using the unit extensively in the winter for skiing and snowmobiling and the rear door is important as we'd enter through there so we don't fill the LQ with snow. Do any of you that own one have this problem with the rear door location?

Any thoughts or advice to make my decision any easier?

I know your post is several months old, but I am in Colorado as well and about to purchase a TH. I'm curious about your experience, if any, camping in the TH during ski season. I would love to do that as well, but I'm curious as to where you stay, if you just use facilities at the campsite, etc.

Rotzilla
Explorer
Explorer
We really like are 2013 XLR 27hfs, however we do not have the garage entry door, (wish we did).
After looking at some internet photos I believe you are absolutely correct, there is now way to access the garage with the bed down.

That price blows me away, wish I had paid that much. LOL