cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

At mud nationals carbon monoxide detector going off

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Fuzion 342. Boondocking at mud nationals. Carbon monoxide detector going off.

What to do to trouble shoot it. I opened a few windows, and the ceiling exhaust.

Been going off 20 mins

Thanks,
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console
26 REPLIES 26

Y-Guy
Steve O Reno wrote:
Turns out our 1 1/2 year old raptor had put in a 6 year old detector. I could not believe they would put a expired detector in.

I know they buy things in bulk, but that is crazy. Good tip for everyone.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
We had a simalar issue and ended up buying a new CO2 detector. Turns out our 1 1/2 year old raptor had put in a 6 year old detector. I could not believe they would put a expired detector in.

Check out the dates as they have a shelf life

Sprinks542
Explorer
Explorer
Spleenstomper wrote:
I did wonder about the slides and seals.

We are home. Everyone was in agreement (a bunch of you know good old country boys with RVs and beer so take this as you wish ๐Ÿ™‚ ) that the detector was extra sensitive and the source was the low exhaust pipe by the slide. DH and a guest took the detector off the wall and we went old school and vented every room. (I wasn't thrilled-- worried confusion was setting in and having them do something dumb like remove the source of the alarm. This is how it went).

I am first going to buy a household CO2 detector with a readout on the monitor. Second, we are getting a genturi.

We will go from there. Dh only dry camps one a year for mud nats (my first time) and maybe one other time during the year.

This may change, though, because the Fuzion (other than the whole thing with the CO2) held up beautifully. We had "the good bathroom" so our black tank saw a lot of traffic and we made it from Wednesday (less people) to this morning (less people) and the black tank was fine. Everyone used the water stopper on the shower head and we cooked and sparingly did dishes and we had to add 30 gallons at the end for that last round of showers. (We had 6 taking showers but a few of them were on an every other day schedule).

Thanks again.

Just make sure you vent the Genturi above the roof line. Just my .02
15 Ford F-350 DRW PSD CC
17 417 Fuzion
15 Xds Turbo Maverick.
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
I did wonder about the slides and seals.

We are home. Everyone was in agreement (a bunch of you know good old country boys with RVs and beer so take this as you wish ๐Ÿ™‚ ) that the detector was extra sensitive and the source was the low exhaust pipe by the slide. DH and a guest took the detector off the wall and we went old school and vented every room. (I wasn't thrilled-- worried confusion was setting in and having them do something dumb like remove the source of the alarm. This is how it went).

I am first going to buy a household CO2 detector with a readout on the monitor. Second, we are getting a genturi.

We will go from there. Dh only dry camps one a year for mud nats (my first time) and maybe one other time during the year.

This may change, though, because the Fuzion (other than the whole thing with the CO2) held up beautifully. We had "the good bathroom" so our black tank saw a lot of traffic and we made it from Wednesday (less people) to this morning (less people) and the black tank was fine. Everyone used the water stopper on the shower head and we cooked and sparingly did dishes and we had to add 30 gallons at the end for that last round of showers. (We had 6 taking showers but a few of them were on an every other day schedule).

Thanks again.

The Toys:

Sprinks542
Explorer
Explorer
Only time our alarm went off was using a Genturi. Even extend above the roof line. I cleared the coach and opened the generator door and that helped. Wind was strong that weekend end and it was the last camping adventure with sxs. The seals on the slides are not air tight so it could slowly making it way in from there.
15 Ford F-350 DRW PSD CC
17 417 Fuzion
15 Xds Turbo Maverick.
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

baker01
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this problem also. I put the Genturi on and did not have a problem for a while. Then one day we were and the alarm starts going off (no one around me). Went out and bought the digital display co model from wally world. The hard wired model would go off and the new digital would show 0 PPM. I would suggest the CO detector with a readout for peace of mind.
Dusty & Mikki
Sirverado 3500 Dually 4x4
2019 Fuzion 369
2018 XPT
2006 Honda CRF450X
2006 Rhino 660
Harley FXSTC

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Dh put a fan by the exhaust to disperse the exhaust. No headaches.

Thanks so mich, everyone, for helping. We appreciate all the suggestions and will follow up based on this.

The Toys:

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
It doesn't look like you're jammed in so tight that someone else's exhaust would be setting off your CO alarm.
Maybe not, but if there's no wind, and a lot of gens running, that would.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
Also if anybody is getting headaches its a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning, I wouldn't use it again until you have some sort of venting that takes the fumes above the trailer. Please don't take this lightly the detectors are there for a good reason.

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a fusion 2010 an a friend has a 2013 fusion an they both went off using the generators, I ended up using a genturic an it stopped it from going off. Also had a separate co2 detector an it was going off also, now I'm a firm believer in the genturic

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer

After everyone got here.

The Toys:

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas. If anyone takes a run to wal mart, I'll get them to get a Household CO2 detector.

We will also follow up on the manifold leak idea.

Thanks, everyone!

The Toys:

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Are you able to run into town? At this point, I would rally want to verify it with a household style battery-powered unit. Some even have a PPM display. If the extra detector also detects high CO, it might be time to break camp. Even low levels, over enough time, can cause permanent permanent damage.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't look like you're jammed in so tight that someone else's exhaust would be setting off your CO alarm. You may need a Gen-turi type device. Mine goes off even with the Gen-turi at times, but a fellow camper told me that I probably have a leak at the manifold on the generator. It's on the to-do list for this season.

As a side note, the alarms are very sensitive. The alarms in my house will go off if I let my RV idle near the garage door for too long.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)