cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyhauler or Keep Fifth Wheel?

karnsfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We are "weekend warriors" - still working, get out in our RV whenever we can. We have twin 8 year olds and a road pup. We have a nice triple-bunk (bunkhouse) fifth wheel we really like but would like to reno (take out dinette and reno flooring). We have a boat and bikes we would like to take with us, but we cannot figure out how to carry it all.

My question - we've had a toy hauler and we like the flexibility. We don't want the cost of a new RV, but we feel like the fiver may not quite be what we need to get all our "stuff" to point B.

I would like to hear what you guys do or would do to carry 4 bikes and a 14' aluminum boat when you get out in your fifth wheel.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
when we used to travel with our boat we doubled towed it a lot behind the 5th wheel (definitely had some issues staying under length so measure first)

we went with a larger truck to get the bed space; works awesome for hauling atvs/side x sides
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
You can spend $850 and get a good hitch put on the back of your 5th wheel, or you can spend $60,000 on a new, big toy hauler. I pull my two ATV's behind the 5th wheel and you would never even know they were there.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Terminology matters:
Bikes = bicycles OR Bikes = Motorcycles

To me a bike is my Harley.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Curt front mount hitch with a Swagman bike rack on the front of my truck. Carry the 2 kayaks on a roof rack on top of the truck. All toys go with us.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
A TH makes more sense.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Could check out Cliff's welding in Mesa and have a receiver put on the existing 5er to tow the boat. Then work on a bike rack that mounts to the boat.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Heartland Cyclone CY3418. It's a new model so probably not available used. It has an 18' garage with 2 HappiJack beds (that's 4 queen size beds) in the garage plus room for a boat and lots of other stuff... The kids will love the 50" tv in the garage with surround sound. Down side is no real living area except the garage. It does come with 2 Euro recliners that are nice. Bath has 2 doors with access from bedroom or garage.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Bonnie19
Explorer
Explorer
jerry.cambrium wrote:
I would check out Carbon. I just recommended this to someone else for the same reason of needing a longer garage. I'll post the video I found below but I know that at least on of the models has a 17' garage. The best thing about them is they are pretty nice for being a lower-cost toyhauler. Plus they have either 5th wheel or trailer options. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/Carbon

I've had a Carbon before, they are really nice. My husband and I have been thinking of our older Salem and getting back into one of these. Nice video by the way. Brings back a lot of old memories! ๐Ÿ™‚

jerry_cambrium
Explorer
Explorer
I would check out Carbon. I just recommended this to someone else for the same reason of needing a longer garage. I'll post the video I found below but I know that at least on of the models has a 17' garage. The best thing about them is they are pretty nice for being a lower-cost toyhauler. Plus they have either 5th wheel or trailer options. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/Carbon

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the 5th wheel toyhauler with a hitch as long as you stay under the length of double(triple to some) towing.