cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water tank additives QUESTION

lovemy5thwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Question: If probiotics are good in the holding tank and some of the RV stuff has them in them, can we just add our over the counter probiotics that we take to our holding tank? If so how much would you add. I was thinking of Dawn, Water Softner and Probiotics. I would think that it would be healthier and cheaper than buying black tank additives
15 REPLIES 15

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what Barney says.

I still carry the wand with me but usually say, ahhhhh thst is good enough after using the on board flusher.

Nothing beats that wand.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing beats the wand down the toilet for cleaning the black tank.
I have used them all and still use the black tank rinser most of the time but the wand comes into play at the end of the season or sooner if I think it needs it.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking maybe the OP was looking to keep the tank clean in order to keep the sensors clear, our new to us 2010 shows the tank to be full so perhaps he's not wanting to be the water treatment plant but to keep his tank clear of buildup?

I did read that either Dawn DWS or baking soda would work good to clean up the sensors along with a sprayer made to use in the black tank.

My particular setup has a flushing port that I can use to flush at a full hookup after we drain but I did not se if it helped the sensor issue.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
A holding tank is NOT a waste treatment plant and it isn't a septic tank. So comparisons to those systems is not even relevant. A holding tank is just that - a holding tank. If you've got no smell problems, just continue using a lot of water with each flush. If you've got some smell problems, then there are many products you can use. It isn't rocket science and it isn't a big deal.

And despite what is said above, commercial waste treatment plants often add chemicals to sewage to precipitate out the phosphorous (tertiary treatment) that is present in sewage and isn't removed through the aerobic biological process.

Probiotics aren't going to precipitate out the phosphorous and even if it did that would only create the problem of having a layer of phosphorous on the bottom of your holding tank.

Of course they won't, and as previously mentioned, comparison of holding tanks to sewage treatment facilities or septic systems is meaningless. And why would anyone want to remove phosphorous from their holding tank? As I said, this is a holding tank not a sewage treatment plant. The effluent in the holding tank gets treated AFTER you dump. You and I agree on almost everything in your original post with the exception of your comment about commercial sewage treatment facilities.

And now back to the main topic of this thread.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
dewey02 wrote:
A holding tank is NOT a waste treatment plant and it isn't a septic tank. So comparisons to those systems is not even relevant. A holding tank is just that - a holding tank. If you've got no smell problems, just continue using a lot of water with each flush. If you've got some smell problems, then there are many products you can use. It isn't rocket science and it isn't a big deal.

And despite what is said above, commercial waste treatment plants often add chemicals to sewage to precipitate out the phosphorous (tertiary treatment) that is present in sewage and isn't removed through the aerobic biological process.

Probiotics aren't going to precipitate out the phosphorous and even if it did that would only create the problem of having a layer of phosphorous on the bottom of your holding tank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been using WATER only lately even with the temps over 100. I start with I am guessing 3 gallons or so water. I dump tank and flush twice every Sunday. No different odor compared to using treatment of several different types.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
lovemy5thwheel wrote:
Question: If probiotics are good in the holding tank and some of the RV stuff has them in them, can we just add our over the counter probiotics that we take to our holding tank? If so how much would you add. I was thinking of Dawn, Water Softner and Probiotics. I would think that it would be healthier and cheaper than buying black tank additives

I think the pith of your question is, would it be helpful to add the probiotic capsules that you already take, directly to your black tank. To which I would reply, you are already adding those probiotics every time you use the toilet. It would be silly to drop capsules into the black tank, in my opinion. Either way you add them, directly or post digestion, they are not going to do a thing for your black tank.

All you really need is plenty of water. We use the pillows you drop in, simply because they are cheap, easy, and simple. I'm not sure there is much benefit, but I am sure they don't hurt anything. Geo method and the like is no better. How could they be better, when there isn't a problem to solve? And I don't need the complexity or mess of several liquids. Drain the tank, close the valve, open the toilet and run some water, and drop a pillow. Done.

I believe the absolute best maintenance you can do to your black tank is to drive with some contents. Try draining your black tank when you arrive at your next destination, instead of just before you leave the previous. It's called agitation! And it liquefies the contents better than any additive. Even better than tank rinsers.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
lovemy5thwheel wrote:
I would think that it would be healthier and cheaper than buying black tank additives

When actively being used, you don't need to put anything in there....except maybe something to keep the odor under control.

You don't WANT stuff to start actively "breaking down" because that produces a lot of unpleasant gasses. Leave the breakdown for AFTER you dump it.

And.....mixing products may negate the positive benefit of some of them. In particular, mixing a probiotic product with detergents for example.

Leave the home-made chemical cocktails for after dumping when the tank is mostly empty and won't be used for a while.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reality is it's all marketing. Probiotics and other additives are just money makers that do nothing.

Every time you sit down, you are adding a dose of "probiotics" along with the nutrients they love.

Go to a commercial waste treatment plant and ask. They don't add probiotics or anything else. It will break down on it's own. Same thing if you have a septic tank system at home. Adding magic powders doesn't do anything.

That said, 2-3 days on a weekend trip...you will be draining the tanks long before it can break down (with or without probiotics). Even at a week, the breakdown won't do much.

Biggest thing you can do is use plenty of water with the solids deposits and make sure the tank gets at least 3/4 full before dumping (run extra water before pulling into the dump station if needed). That ensures enough water so that the solids are carried out with the liquid.

If the solids are sitting in a pile under the toilet pipe in 1/2" of water, when you open the valve the solids stay right where they are. Done repetitively, the top of the pile will dry out and eventually can reach high enough to block the toilet outlet pipe.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Geo Method for routine maintenance. Happy Campers Holding Tank Treatment for more serious problems. Using lots of water is the key.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
healthier and cheaper???????? IS SOMEBODY drinking out of your black tank?
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I never add anything but a fair amount of water. Nothing will be in my tanks for very long anyway. It is not like your septic system at home where enzymes are needed to break down the solids. If it makes you feel better, drop a five dollar bill in there every so often.
....and I got that bit of advise from this site! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD