cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shower draining to black?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
So we had our first trip out with the new hauler 2 weekends ago. While dumping, we had our first adventure of liquid gushing out when opening the dump to attach the hose. We figured out later that we have 2 gray tanks, and 2 separate valves, one of which was open haha!

Anyway, we had a small leak in the storage compartment so we were working on getting that fixed. We poured a bucket of water down the shower drain to see if we fixed the leak. Then, when we went to dump, we opened the gray valves and nothing really came out. But then we opened the black, and the bucket's worth of liquid came out.

Which leads us to believe the shower drains into the black. This kind of sucks because we have 88 gallons of gray water tank, 110 gallons of fresh, but only 44 of black.... and we have a week long boondocking trip planned this summer.

Has anybody heard of this? Is there a way to fix it?
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
19 REPLIES 19

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
So I thought I'd update this. The labels for the black and gray were switched, so that's why it seemed like the shower was draining into the black 🙂

mine has a grey and a black handle, they were switched when I bought it. But didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Grey water is small pipe (1.5") black water is big (4"). I switched the handles.

Yes in our case we can't see the pipes so it was a bit confusing til we did the ol "pour water down the toilet and see what happens" test 🙂

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
So I thought I'd update this. The labels for the black and gray were switched, so that's why it seemed like the shower was draining into the black 🙂

mine has a grey and a black handle, they were switched when I bought it. But didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Grey water is small pipe (1.5") black water is big (4"). I switched the handles.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Well just pulled up the owner's manual and it says "On some floorplans, some of the gray water waste will empty into the black water tank." So I guess now we need to figure out what "some" means.... we'll contact our guy at the dealer to see what he has to say.

We're trying to avoid a trip to the dealer as they often have longish wait times, and we've got trips planned. We can deal with it for a summer if needed, and have it fixed in the fall.

the dealer will tell you that you have a "some floorplan".. LOL

Bedlam
Mine dumps the bath sink and toilet into the black tank while the kitchen sink and shower dump into the gray. This has worked fine for us as long as you don't let the bath sink faucet run while using it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer

Y-Guy
I just can't see how this meets any type of code. The toilet seals itself when not in use, a shower drain trap can dry out and let the oders and gasses into the RV, that is not safe. I tried looking to see if there were any RVIA codes on this but really didn't get very far. Below is what I found in a quick look, when I tried to find the NFPA 1192 all I got was a pay link for $52.

Plumbing Systems as specified in NFPA 1192 Standard for RVs.
* Only listed plumbing devices, fixtures and appliances that have been labeled by nationally recognized testing agencies are allowed.
* Water distribution systems are sized to provide adequate flow rate and designed to prevent backflow contamination.
* Fixtures with traps and vents must be provided to protect against siphonage and back pressure.
* Vents to release gases from any waste holding tank must be provided.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
That can't be right. There is no point in having two gray tanks if the shower is draining into the black. If it turns out to be the case it needs to be corrected by the manufacturer... And like ata says if the black tank gets full its going to overflow into the shower!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

2RVNuts
Explorer
Explorer
Your black yank line should be the 3 inch line. Always. Now my 5th wheel has 3 holding tanks. 1 Black and 2 gray water. One is for kitchen, the other is for shower and bathroom sink. I am like the rest. I would have them fixed right.
1999 Ford F250 Super Duty
2006 Palomino Puma 5th Wheel
See you soon. In Florida right now.

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Jayco that had the tub drain to the black tank. Imagine how happy I was to have the black tank backup into the tub when using the tub. I made Jayco replumb it since that is a major health hazard.
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some grey water to black tank....
Reasoning is for black tank to have high liquid to stuff ratio.
That was 'normally' done with a bathroom sink drain.

Also came about due to 'plumbing drain line' issues......floorplan obstacles so sink drains were easier to direct to black tank vs grey tank.

Sound like your floorplan shower drain is easier to plumb to black then plumb it to a grey tank.
Grey tank location, framing, floor supports, ducting etc play a part in plumbing line installation so proper pitch can be achieved.

Shower draining to black tank....NOT ideal but doubt you will/can change it due to items ID'd above.

A quick 'visual' inspection of where shower drain is, where grey tank is, where black tank is and then how shower drain line is plumbed will give you a better understanding.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
On some floorplans, some of the gray water waste will empty into the black water tank. seems sort of common but sinks, not shower.. my grey tank filled up quicker than the black, but shower seems excessive???
bumpy

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Well just pulled up the owner's manual and it says "On some floorplans, some of the gray water waste will empty into the black water tank." So I guess now we need to figure out what "some" means.... we'll contact our guy at the dealer to see what he has to say.

We're trying to avoid a trip to the dealer as they often have longish wait times, and we've got trips planned. We can deal with it for a summer if needed, and have it fixed in the fall.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would certainly insist that be corrected if true. There is absolutely no reason to run anything but the toilet to the black tank. What if your black tanked filled while you were showering. Standing in black water?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked with the hubs and we did actually already check to see if maybe the labels were swapped.

Just seems really stupid to have 88 gallons of gray water, most of which only comes from the sink. And, where do they think that 110 gallons of fresh water is going to? I'll probably just wash my hair and shave my legs in the kitchen sink if it comes down to it 😛