cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electrical question about my second ac

Saltwater_buck
Explorer
Explorer
We just had a second ac installed on our 30 amp crusader and I dont know what cord to use. Its a 20A with a straight blade coming out of the camper. Can I use a 15 amp heavy duty cord with a 20A end, plugged into the park 15 amp pedestal? Or do I NEED a 20A source?
2012 Prime Time Crusader
2010 Dodge 2500 4x4
Amateur Radio KE5ZQC
14 REPLIES 14

Saltwater_buck
Explorer
Explorer
I built a cord with 25' of 10g with the 20A female(camper side), and 15A male(pedestal side). Just hooked it up and checking periodically. I have it plugged in my garage. Thanks for the help
2012 Prime Time Crusader
2010 Dodge 2500 4x4
Amateur Radio KE5ZQC

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Swamp Man wrote:
If you have a twenty amp outlet, I would use a cord rated for 20 amps. Use of a smaller (less amp rated cord) is asking for trouble. The NEC (National Electrical Code) does not allow you to use wire related for less amps than the breaker it is attached to. If the installer used a 20 amp outlet, there is a reason.

That code does not apply to the cord that connects to the outlet. It's for the wiring between the breaker and an appliance or outlet.

Kybiggray
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I should clarify, I have 12 2 with ground wire ran from my ac to the underneath storage area of my 5ver. At that point I put a Heavy Duty Male end that matches the ordinary house plug, and from there I run the extension cord to the pedestal.

On a side note, I just finished tying my 2nd ac into the duct work, and put a chill grill on that had the hookup for the power and thermostat, then ran the thermostat wire over and put the 2nd ac on a seperate thermostat. A GREAT add. Fan will kick on and off and you have better control of the temperature. Total cost to do the project was only $145

Kybiggray
Explorer
Explorer
I changed the end on the camper to accept the extension cord. I didn't want to leave any chance for water to get into the extension cord and short out. I hope this helps.

Saltwater_buck
Explorer
Explorer
Kybiggray wrote:
I have the same setup as you, and I use a 12 gauge extension cord and plug straight into the pedestal. Has worked great for three years.

Thank you, I wanted to hear from someone who had this setup. So you just spliced in a new plug at the end of a heavy duty extention cord?
2012 Prime Time Crusader
2010 Dodge 2500 4x4
Amateur Radio KE5ZQC

Kybiggray
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same setup as you, and I use a 12 gauge extension cord and plug straight into the pedestal. Has worked great for three years.

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Progressive EMS in our trailer - at 110 volts the AC unit was pulling 14 amps. I would look for something rated at 20 amps.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
On the camper you have a horizontal and a vertical blade in the plug(20 amp plug)?If that is the case you are going to have to make your own cord like you are talking about. Most campgrounds only have a 15 amp plug but it is usually on a 20 amp breaker.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

Saltwater_buck
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon327 wrote:
Just use a 12 ga extension cord.

I got a new 12G cord, but it doesn't have the one flat blade. So do I cut it off and wire in a 20A flat blade plug and just use the 15A socket? Or do I use my extra 30A cord with a 15A adapter for the pedestal and a flat blad adapter for my camper?
2012 Prime Time Crusader
2010 Dodge 2500 4x4
Amateur Radio KE5ZQC

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Just use a 12 ga extension cord.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

Saltwater_buck
Explorer
Explorer
Swamp Man wrote:
If you have a twenty amp outlet, I would use a cord rated for 20 amps. Use of a smaller (less amp rated cord) is asking for trouble. The NEC (National Electrical Code) does not allow you to use wire related for less amps than the breaker it is attached to. If the installer used a 20 amp outlet, there is a reason.

So how would I know if the plug is 20A?
2012 Prime Time Crusader
2010 Dodge 2500 4x4
Amateur Radio KE5ZQC

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

Saltwater_buck
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Yes, you can use a heavy 15 amp cord in the 15A outlet. The contacts are exactly the same size in both the plug and the outlets of 15A & 20A devices. (According to Leviton)
Also, you'll find the AC only pulls about 12A running and about 13~14A starting.
ok, that's what I was worried about, maxing out the 15A plug. That's for the quick advise.
2012 Prime Time Crusader
2010 Dodge 2500 4x4
Amateur Radio KE5ZQC

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you can use a heavy 15 amp cord in the 15A outlet. The contacts are exactly the same size in both the plug and the outlets of 15A & 20A devices. (According to Leviton)
Also, you'll find the AC only pulls about 12A running and about 13~14A starting.