cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those with a slide topper under an awning

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Want to add a slide topper under an awning. Seen it on some rigs on Youtube, but no details.

If you have this (like a slide topper over a dinette slideout) that also has an awning above that covers the slide when opened:

1) what brand and model of topper did you get?

2) what challenges were involved?

TIA
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB
9 REPLIES 9

jessica90
Explorer
Explorer
It's normal to have a slide topper introduced beneath the overhang of the RV if the canopy happens to be over the slide out. For whatever length of time that you have space for a rail to fit under the primary canopy rail this would be thoroughly fine. To select the right slide topper you have to quantify the width of your slide out including the rib that goes around the outside of the slide out. In the event that that measurement is somewhere in the range of 80 and 85-3/4 inches the Sol era 7.5' Slider (Slide-Topper) # LCV000163287 that you referenced would be the right size. This likewise accompanies the required overhang rail to introduce. I joined an introduce video for this pack for you to look at also.

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
I too am interested in adding a topper to the slide out under the awning.

The topper and the awning each serve a different function. Awnings are for when it is nice and you want shade. They are to be retracted for wind and storms. That is why most of the new awnings have wind and rain sensors that auto retract them. The topper is to provide the protection to the top of the slide during rain and snow events and will shed all of the debris that piles up on top, be it leaves, snow, or pooled rain water all while protecting the upper slide seal and from bringing unwanted stuff back into the RV when pulling in the slide.

If you don't retract your awning during a storm, you are just asking for the wind to rip it off the side of your coach. At least that is what I have observed happening to others on several occasions here in Kansas. We just don't get gentle storms here on the plains.

We have four slides on our new Newmar and three of them came with toppers and the awning is intended to cover the fourth. I tested it during a light gentle shower by extending it the 2 feet to just cover the slide and sure enough just as soon as it started to sprinkle the awning auto retracted. I called Newmar to ask if a topper could be added to this slide out and they said that it could not for two reasons. First they said they intentionally left this topper off because in the past they have had numerous complaints of the awning snagging it during operation and causing damage. Second they said because of this they no longer put appropriate structural blocking in the slide out structure to accommodate mounting a topper.

I took them at their word, but I am dissappointed. I have always had slide toppers and they work great in all four seasons and inclement weather. I may find someone with a density scanner to see if the structure is present on my slide just to see if I could add one, but for now I will just take my battery operated leaf blower with me to blow off the top of the slide before I retract.
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a slide topper on my TT. It was easy to install by myself, I pulled the truck parallel to the trailer, and stood on the side of the truck. Would have been easier with some help, but nobody was around to help.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
We have the slide topper under the awning. It was no big deal to have installed since there was plenty of room to attach the slide topper under the awning mount.

Thanks! So far the biggest hurdle is dealers/installers that think it cannot be done. Will get some measurements and pick out the topper that provides the least amount of intrusion over the slide, so when the awning is extended, it moves easily past the topper.

And you are reading my mind on why. I have used toppers on my past two trailers and won't be without.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
Duh....I get it now. I read it but it didn't sink in what it said.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lightning55 wrote:
I don't get it....why would you need an topper UNDER a slide out?

That is not what he asked.
To answer your question - you don't. :W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get it....why would you need an topper UNDER a slide out?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the slide topper under the awning. It was no big deal to have installed since there was plenty of room to attach the slide topper under the awning mount.

As to why, we rarely have the electric awning out, especially when we aren't going to be around. We put the awning in when it storms, and the wind blows, which causes leaves and water to collect on top of the slide if there's no slide topper. Our awning flips and flops around in the wind which is why we rarely have it out except when it's very calm.

And the second and third answers are "A lot" and "Yes".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you need a topper under the awning? How much use do you expect to use with the slide out without the awning? Will it be enough to justify the extra cost?
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.