cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running generators in truck bed while hitched.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who do this, such as overnight while traveling, how do you secure them in the bed? More importantly, what precautions do you take regarding exhaust? Thanks for your responses!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
17 REPLIES 17

broark01
Explorer
Explorer

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a thread that answers this and you can run the gen while traveling. I am not the author of the thread but will be making this modification.

Generator mount
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, better late than never, Fxfymn! Thanks for the reply. That's an interesting idea I hadn't even considered. That might be workable. Thanks, and thanks again to all who responded.

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Fxfymn
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the late reply; I have not been on the site for quite a while.

I carry two 2K Hondas in the back corners of the truck and I have run them with the fiver attached without any issues.

I welded up a cage out of 1/2" black pipe that slips over the genny and has a hinged "lid" so I can lift the genny out if I want to. The frame is secured to the bed by using "bed bolts" that employ a removable eye bolt that threads into a piece that is permanently fastened into the bed floor.
A stub of the 1/2" pipe slides through the eye bolt and is secured with puck style pad locks.

A determined thief can get to them by using a cut off tool, but short of that I feel they are secure and I can use them without taking them out of the cage.

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Except to run the AC, there is no reason to run the Generator...If your running it for the heater just buy 2-6v Batteries and you will have no problems of sleeping throuht the night, most rv's have the capacity for 2 or more batteries, 2-12v batteries might work but the 6v battery has the bigger plates to last a longer drain period, like using the heat...wakeup in the am fire up the gen make coffee and give the batteries a 1 hour charge..Let me tell you that with 4 6v golfcart(G2) batteries and a 250w solar panel and except for the AC its what generator!..on a 1 month rv trip my gen ran for 6hrs, mine is a built in gen..you dont need the solar, if your traveling the truck should charge them up if you have the 7pin pigtail camper to truck. If not run a 10awg wire battery to battery with a 30amp relay so it wont run down the truck battery when truck is off...
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
Used mine over the summer on a cross-country trip. I did unhook the truck and pulled it to the rear of the camper and then JUST ran 30amp converted cord to genny. it is locked in the front of bed with cables and locks plus I used a racket bar to secure it too. I guess this keeps it from sliding around and it on a cushion mat. BUT I have looked at ways to use it without unhooking.
One being the front of 5er front ups and then the other is using the 30amp converter cord and 25ft extension cord to get into the bed of the truck.
Good read here.
thanks
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks for the responses. Some good ideas for how to do it safely. Probably won't need to do it frequently, but want to be prepared. Happy trails!

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We have LowPro lock downs, with 2 Honda 2000's.

We don't run them at night, so, don't have to worry about fumes. We just keep the bedroom window closed when they are running, and there is usually a breeze when we boondock, so, no worries.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
brirene wrote:
For those of you who do this, such as overnight while traveling, how do you secure them in the bed? More importantly, what precautions do you take regarding exhaust? Thanks for your responses!

Never having done it, all I can say is to use a big-a$$ cable or chain to lock it in and have it listed on your insurance. As far as exhaust, unless you've parked directly into the wind, and have all the windows open, I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the same time, I'd be d@mn-sure all my detectors were working properly. ๐Ÿ™‚ Be aware, this is from a guy who used to irrigate his fields in the middle of winter with a catalytic heater burning in the cab of his truck. I'm still alive and there's nothing much, much, much, much (SMACK) wrong with me.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a 5th, so we use the 5th hole in the bed to secure the genny box to the bed of the truck. On our recent 9000 mile trip, no one bothered an attempt at theft even though it looks like a modified tool box.

The box has string intake and exhaust fans. No fears of exhaust fumes while driving or setting still. You have to be standing right next to the truck to know it is running.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a heavy duty cable and pad lock and lock my Honda eu3000 to one of the four corner anchor tie downs in the bed. Although the cord from the trailer does reach, I bought a ten foot extension which makes it easier. When using the genny I will shut all the vents/windows in the front of the trailer and make sure the exhaust output is far enough from the bed rail to keep it from getting too hot. Works great. Would probably be quieter to move it behind the trailer, but moving a eu3000 isn't the easiest task.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it plenty, mainly winter camping. For security, a heavy anchor chain and a cheap outdoor Master lock (just the appearance of security). I'm a light sleeper and wake up every time the gen stops, also anyone crawling around in the truck bed would wiggle the trailer and wake me up... Depending on the area a crowd pleaser is ready and within easy reach.

As for exhaust, I point it away from the trailer. Not dead yet. Only time I've had the CO alarm sound was thanks to a couple that parked their giant class a right on top of me and left both their main engine and generator exhaust pump fumes my way.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
We take ours (Champion 3100) out of box and chain to rear tie down loop in truck bed. Also have a couple alarms attached.

Wish we had a way to redirect exhaust on generator other than facing it to the middle of truck bed. Champions, to the best of my knowledge, are not mechanically diverse to make attachments. If they do, I'd really like to know what and how.

Had outlet installed on fiver just under gooseneck for electricity. This was one of the best mods we've done to trailer. Oh, ah, ya and that includes laminate flooring!

dt

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Honda 3000 bolted in the bed with a 12 gauge welded metal enclosure with a hinged lockable lid. The drivers side end of the cabinet has a about a 12"x8" vent and the passengers side of the cabinet has a 10 axial fan 120 v ac that is plugged into the gen. Remote start key fob in the FW. I have an extension cord that reaches the rear of the bed so it's easy to connect without climbing into the truck. There is a twist lock connector on the cord that goes from the pin box area back into the basement.

The extension cord is long enough so that the hood of the truck can be at the pin box placing the generator away from the rig and almost zero noise.