cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sailun S637 on 3200lb Capacity Wheels

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really wanting to do the Sailun S637 tire upgrade on our fiver when we take delivery, but I'm worried about the wheel capacity.

I've been told that I would be ok to run 95-100psi in these wheels with metal stems. Fiver is a '16 Jayco 326 BHQS with a gvwr of 14k.

Thoughts?
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS
2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
22 REPLIES 22

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I know this is a really old thread and hate to stir up controversy as every thread on PSI load vs. max tends to get heated. However, I just reached out to Sailun for a tire inflation chart since the only ones I could find on the inter-webs were either for the wrong load rating or for the LT tires. The sailun rep provided me with the correct inflation chart and also recommended for my load situation to run around 85psi. Attached is the aforementioned sheet. Do with it as you please ... and donโ€™t shoot the messenger :E

Sailun s637t inflation chart

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading to the larger diameter 17.5" wheels, also opens up the possibility of upgrading to larger diameter brakes.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Using this line of thought, is it safe to assume a rim with a 4,000 lb. load rating can safely handle 110 PSI of pressure? Or, put another way, do they make an 80 PSI tire with a 4,000 lb. load rating?
I'm not saying there isn't but I've never seen a 16" trailer wheel that was 4000 lb rated.
Now the 17.5" trailer wheels can handle that much load and 110 psi which is a good upgrade for folks with a heavy wheel loads and 7k axles.
Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware a 4,000 lb. rating was that much of a stretch for a 16" wheel/rim. I've seen 16" 4,000 lb. wheel/rims used OEM on some toy haulers.

To minimize all compatibility and safety issues on a very heavy rig, especially toy haulers, 17.5" is probably the way to go. I'm guessing the larger diameter 17.5" tires/wheels have the potential to create some clearance issues on units that originally came with 16's though.

The 215/75R17.5 Goodyear G114 is actually shorter (30.5") than an LT235/85R16G Goodyear G614 RST (30.7", IIRC). The G114 is rated 4805 lbs @ 125 PSIG - when hot, pressures run ~145 PSIG, so the 17.5" wheels have to be capable of handling these pressures.

I upgraded our previous 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3 from the 16" G614 RSTs to 17.5" Michelin XTAs and never had any issues with clearance or tire performance whatsoever. The current 2014.5 Mobile Suites 38RSSA came with 17.5" Goodyear G114s which have been fine so far.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Using this line of thought, is it safe to assume a rim with a 4,000 lb. load rating can safely handle 110 PSI of pressure? Or, put another way, do they make an 80 PSI tire with a 4,000 lb. load rating?
I'm not saying there isn't but I've never seen a 16" trailer wheel that was 4000 lb rated.
Now the 17.5" trailer wheels can handle that much load and 110 psi which is a good upgrade for folks with a heavy wheel loads and 7k axles.
Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware a 4,000 lb. rating was that much of a stretch for a 16" wheel/rim. I've seen 16" 4,000 lb. wheel/rims used OEM on some toy haulers.

To minimize all compatibility and safety issues on a very heavy rig, especially toy haulers, 17.5" is probably the way to go. I'm guessing the larger diameter 17.5" tires/wheels have the potential to create some clearance issues on units that originally came with 16's though.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
Against my better judgement, I went the easy route and upgraded with Maxxis. I really wanted to go with the Sailun, but didn't feel comfortable with all the opinions going back and forth. I like Maxxis and think they make a great tire. I was mainly wanting to upgrade to the G rated for those times that you need to exceed 65mph. I hate being regulated to 65mph with an ST tire.
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
bpounds wrote:
On theProwl wrote:
I confirmed with local tire dealer today. He says that it is no problem running 110psi in that wheel with those tires. He states that overloading the wheel weight rating is what will cause wheel failure. I've dealt with him for years and he knows his stuff. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but i do value his opinion and feel it trustworthy.

I also know between this forum and the Jayco forum that several are running the same setup on the same wheels.

This is the correct answer. Wheels are designed for a load limit, not a pressure limit.

But all the "experts" around here won't agree.

Even real experts like a wheel manufacturer/axle manufacturer/tire manufactuers/rvtiresafety.com and many other sources disagree with that statement.

This from Dexstar wheel/Dexter axle
WHEELS & TIRES - What tires can I use on these wheels?
Wheels and tires must be matched. The wheel will have a label stating its rim diameter, width and contour. The tire selected must be approved by the Tire and Rim Association for use on that particular size wheel. The tire capacity selected should not exceed the capacity rating of the wheel. The tire inflation pressure must not exceed the pressure rating of the wheel. WARNING - The use of tires that are not approved for use on a wheel could result in explosive separation of the tire and wheel and could cause a serious accident.

Load a 16" 3100-3200 lb rated wheel to 3200 lbs and then add 110 psi can and has resulted in a split bead or a cracked valley. BTDT more than once..... and saw lots of examples of using pressures above the wheels max psi ability when I was on the road.
Lots of 16" trailer and truck wheels out here with 3200-3600 lb load rating and a 80 psi max rating.

Don't over pressure a tire or wheel. Sooner or later it will bite you in the butz.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
bpounds wrote:
On theProwl wrote:
I confirmed with local tire dealer today. He says that it is no problem running 110psi in that wheel with those tires. He states that overloading the wheel weight rating is what will cause wheel failure. I've dealt with him for years and he knows his stuff. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but i do value his opinion and feel it trustworthy.

I also know between this forum and the Jayco forum that several are running the same setup on the same wheels.

This is the correct answer. Wheels are designed for a load limit, not a pressure limit.

Even real experts like a wheel manufacturer/axle manufacturer/tire manufactuers/rvtiresafety.com and many other sources disagree with that statement.

Wheels and tires must be matched. The wheel will have a label stating its rim diameter, width and contour. The tire selected must be approved by the Tire and Rim Association for use on that particular size wheel. The tire capacity selected should not exceed the capacity rating of the wheel. The tire inflation pressure must not exceed the pressure rating of the wheel. WARNING - The use of tires that are not approved for use on a wheel could result in explosive separation of the tire and wheel and could cause a serious accident.

Load a 16" 3100-3200 lb rated wheel to 3200 lbs and then add 110 psi can and has resulted in a split bead or a cracked valley. BTDT more than once..... and saw lots of examples of using pressures above the wheels max psi ability when I was on the road.
Lots of 16" trailer and truck wheels out here with 3200-3600 lb load rating and a 80 psi max rating.

Don't over pressure a tire or wheel. Sooner or later it will bite you in the butz.

Agree..That's what I was trying to say..

Thx,
Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
On theProwl wrote:

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
NC Hauler wrote:
IF wheel is stamped for load rating of 3200#, it CAN equate to what tire one can use. Example.: An E rated Michelin XPS RIB has a weight rating of 3020 pounds at 80 psi...OP's wheel is rated 180# more than that, all is good....If you go to a G rated GY G614, rated at 3750# @ 110 psi, which is over wheels rating by 550#...wheel won't take 110 psi..so wheel rating can be looked at both ways..
in know you can run lower psi in tire's, but one has to also take into wear on tires and when turning unit around and "skewing" tires in tight turn.

Nah, we'll have to just disagree.

That LR-G will carry 3020# @ 80psi just as well as the LR-E will carry 3020# @ 80psi. (better safety margin actually) It won't sag any more, won't heat up any more. Load charts, if you can find them, prove it. There might be 5psi difference due to the stiffer construction. Personally I would go on up to 100psi, but would NEVER exceed the 3200# wheel rating, or the original trailer GVWR.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
IF wheel is stamped for load rating of 3200#, it CAN equate to what tire one can use. Example.: An E rated Michelin XPS RIB has a weight rating of 3020 pounds at 80 psi...OP's wheel is rated 180# more than that, all is good....If you go to a G rated GY G614, rated at 3750# @ 110 psi, which is over wheels rating by 550#...wheel won't take 110 psi..so wheel rating can be looked at both ways..
in know you can run lower psi in tire's, but one has to also take into wear on tires and when turning unit around and "skewing" tires in tight turn.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
On theProwl wrote:

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
dcg9381 wrote:
You need to determine the PSI rating of your wheels. You also need to determine the psi rating of your valves.

Often the psi rating is stamped into the inside of the wheel.

Don't run more than the rated PSI on the wheel. IF you have 85 psi rated wheels, run your S637s at 85psi. They can operate at lower psi ratings, but obviously you get decreased load capacity. Still, it's likely a much better tire than what you had from the factory.

Wheels, tires, and valve stems all need to be rated for the PSI you put in them.

Wheels are not stamped with psi rating, only weight rating of 3200#. I planned on definitely replacing valve stems with high pressure metal stems, and only planned to run 95psi, as that would be enough to cover weight rating I need.
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
You need to determine the PSI rating of your wheels. You also need to determine the psi rating of your valves.

Often the psi rating is stamped into the inside of the wheel.

Don't run more than the rated PSI on the wheel. IF you have 85 psi rated wheels, run your S637s at 85psi. They can operate at lower psi ratings, but obviously you get decreased load capacity. Still, it's likely a much better tire than what you had from the factory.

Wheels, tires, and valve stems all need to be rated for the PSI you put in them.