cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timbrens

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every year I do an upgrade here or there for the truck or trailer. As the truck is starting to get long in the tooth I thought it time to give the rear springs a little support so I have ordered a set of Timbrens.

The truck is a DRW. The 5er has a listed dry weight of 11,500#. All loaded up full of water, 100gal, I guess I am pretty close to 13,000# if not over.

The Timbrens can be installed with or without extra rubber spacers. Are they likely to be needed?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
19 REPLIES 19

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
I put timbrens on my 2016 3500 drw Ram. So far so good. I’ve got at 19k 5er toyhauler and was having about an inch more squat than I wanted. Yes airbags would have done the trick and would been more versatile. However. I wanted a hands off solution which timbrens are. For an automatic airbag system with pump and install, you can easily go north of $700. The timbrens achieve the extra lift I was looking for and help stabilize side to side jarring. Just don’t assume they are going to solve a suspension problem. They are there to help an otherwise health suspension.

It’s important that they don’t sit more than about 1” off the axels or they won’t engage soon enough to be beneficial. Also, too close and you will have a rough time unloaded ... 1/2”-1” is correct for these ... on the ram 2500/3500 at least.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The factory shocks were replaced long ago. Must be getting about time to replace the Bilsteins. A project for next winter along with trailer shock replacement.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Im guessing you should have done it right and bought new rear leaf springs. I think you would be happier.

In lieu of that, get your old spring pack re arched. Springs don'r wear out' they straighten out after time but they can be rearched again.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with Timbrens. I use and like them but IMO if the OPs truck is still running old factory **** blown out GM shocks, replace them first with a good set of Bilstein 4600 or 5100.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

elkfarmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used SumoSprings in the 1500# variety. No jarring at all and the load just sits on the overload springs. You might consider the SuperSprings also if you don't have overloads. They do work as spring packs do wear and flatten out. Another option is a full length add-a-leaf. Usually any good spring shop can make you one and supply all the needed u-bolts, pins, etc.
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m
2016 Ram 3500
1992 Newmar Kountry Star
!998 Alpenlite 29RK(sold)

bjlakatos1
Explorer
Explorer
From my install instructions http://timbren.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DR3500CA.pdf
-------
Clearance Instructions:
Rear SES Kits for Pick-Ups and Vans should have a 1/2" to 1-1/2" gap between the rubber spring and contact point when empty.
A partial load, or vehicle accessories will reduce or eliminate the gap.
Front SES kits are usually in full contact.
Medium and Heavy-Duty Trucks, Trailers and Motorhomes will be in constant contact, and have no gap.

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
based on personal experience I would install air bags over Timbrens. Much more versatility!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
What you want is for it not to be touching unloaded, and not to be almost touching with a load you carry often. Either sitting on the Timbrens or about a 1” gap. Comfort problems arise when you transition from springs to Timbrens while driving.

I believe it's 1/2" for DRW and 1" for SRW.

bjlakatos1
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed them on my 2016 Ram DRW to eliminate squat. 2800# pin. Just completed 1200 mi trip. Very nice ride improvement on rough roads. I didn't need the spacers.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Who cares what your trailer weighs...or what the gross weight rating is.

What matters most is the pin weight.

May be a truck scale will shock you and find your pin weight is 3,000lbs or more. Then may be some rubber helpers like the Timbrens might help a little. But they are just "helpers". Kinda silly for these weights.

If I had a HD truck towing that amount with more sag than I like, I'd be looking at new springs or some real nice air bags.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
13K 5th wheel with a DRW needing extra srpings, timbrens :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Im guessing you should have done it right and bought new rear leaf springs. I think you would be happier.

Sorry but that's silly. Timbrens and bags both work great, probably better than new leafs unless something is broken, and they're both a lot cheaper and easier to install too.

OP, I've got a little under an inch of clearance with no spacers on my truck and that works great. You'll just need to try it both ways and see - you want enough gap so the suspension can flex unloaded, but when you're loaded up the truck is settled down on the timbrens.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking forward to seeing the difference. The test will be northern roads this spring. Looks like a very easy install. Quite some time ago I installed Sulastic shocks to improve unloaded ride. They helped too but it still reminds you that it is a truck sometimes.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you want is for it not to be touching unloaded, and not to be almost touching with a load you carry often. Either sitting on the Timbrens or about a 1” gap. Comfort problems arise when you transition from springs to Timbrens while driving.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73