cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tool box in a long bed?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If I have a tool box or equivalent that is significantly higher than the bed rails right behind the cab of my long bed, will it cause turning issues with the trailer nose?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
29 REPLIES 29

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rsgs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"It extends 8" above the bed rail and I have never had an issue."

Truly wish you the best of luck!

Thanks - but it's not luck - I know how to drive. 17+ years and never an issue.

All I can say is never say NEVER!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
If I have a tool box or equivalent that is significantly higher than the bed rails right behind the cab of my long bed, will it cause turning issues with the trailer nose?

You โ€œwillโ€ eventually wish that you had a flush-fit toolbox! 30 years ago, my tool box was โ€œonlyโ€ about 3โ€ above the bed rails. It took a year or so.....but I finally introduced the 5er to the tool box! :M ๐Ÿ˜ฎ memtb

Yeah, sooner or later. I hope not but I'm still a newbie with the new 5'er. The Coachmen Chaparral with "Turn Tech Engineering" looks like it's good for near 90 degrees. Next time I hook up I'll test the limits carefully. I really want to keep the toolbox off the truck bed. A short bed...

It's trying to be "spring" on this side of the state!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

This tool box is in a short box Chevrolet. I chose it as it has room under the tool box so I can carry full sheets of plywood or sheet-rock. I also store things under the tool box like tire chains and a set of 12 ton jack stands when towing.

The tonneau cover starts at the tool box. It is in the rolled storage position now. The tonneau cover clears my hitch when deployed.

So far after 15 years of towing with two fifth wheel trailers clearance to the tool box and rolled up tonneau cover has not been a problem.

Looks like you need one of those extended run gas tanks for that generator ,you could eliminate at least one of those gas cans. They are very nice , with at Honda generator you have, plus not having to fill that often.

On edit, it appears you have a hose running to that gas can on the right, so do you have an extended run system ??

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rsgs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was going to say, its situational awareness , and its apparent you are aware of the sitsuation. No there is no luck involved ,just experience ,and knowing what to do. Same here backing with a short bed truck, and being aware of where I am at in relationship to the cab, how tight I am turning etc. There is no fear of taking out a back window , or denting a cab .

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Got a 12โ€ wide box from Loweโ€™s. Got a long box and still plenty of room left.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer no, one before the transfer tank the other after I added and mover the box closer to the RV to accommodate the tank.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

This tool box is in a short box Chevrolet. I chose it as it has room under the tool box so I can carry full sheets of plywood or sheet-rock. I also store things under the tool box like tire chains and a set of 12 ton jack stands when towing.

The tonneau cover starts at the tool box. It is in the rolled storage position now. The tonneau cover clears my hitch when deployed.

So far after 15 years of towing with two fifth wheel trailers clearance to the tool box and rolled up tonneau cover has not been a problem.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
When the cap comes off my truck in the spring, the tool box goes in. It extends 8" above the bed rail and I have never had an issue. If you are turning that sharp that the tool box becomes a factor - you're doing it wrong...

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a small truck shoulder mount box and it sits on the floor of the long bed and I can close my Tonneau cover over it
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
My tool box sits about 6โ€ above the bed rails on our Ford. Iโ€™ve towed 2 different fifthwheels 70-80,000 miles without any problem. I donโ€™t make a habit of jackknifing my trailer.

You have been very lucky. Kinda like the guys that bon't need a slider until.......

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

You โ€œwillโ€ eventually wish that you had a flush-fit toolbox! 30 years ago, my tool box was โ€œonlyโ€ about 3โ€ above the bed rails. It took a year or so.....but I finally introduced the 5er to the tool box! :M ๐Ÿ˜ฎ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me add a couple of pictures of my below the rails tool box in our old 2001 Ram. The great part of a below bed box is that you can have a full bed cover.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"