cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size 5th wheel do you pull with 3/4 ton?

Toyhaulernoob
Explorer
Explorer
First post here... I will start off saying I do not own a 5th wheel toy hauler yet, I have been looking for awhile and cannot find one I like that my truck can tow, maybe I am being to anal about the weight ratings? But I do not want to cause any accidents or put anybody's life at harm because I neglected to follow the rules.

I have a 2017 4 door f250 4x4 platinum diesel that is rated for 10k, the truck empty is coming in at 8,000lb, sooo after a few passengers and a 5th wheel hitch I am stuck with a 1500lb pin weight? Every decent toy hauler I have seen even down to 32ft has a pin weight over 2,000 lbs. I know if you load some weight in the rear it reduces pin weight but no clue by how much?

Anyway, does nobody use a 3/4 ton?
Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

Toyhaulernoob
Explorer
Explorer
My family has a 28ft bumper and its not even a toy hauler, and it sucks! Can't get above 60mph without feeling like your going to flip over, I can't imagine a 30+ft, would hate to buy it then regret it.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Not anal, just smart. That is the problem with 250s, lack of capacity and still be within the mfg specs. You will find lots of people that will tell you its no problem. But I did it for three years and was never happy about it. Instead of a fiver think lean more toward a TT. At least you will have a fighting chance to get what you want.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is your payload? And the weight of your passengers and stuff in truck? Reduce pin weight below 20%? Hmmm
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 3/4 ton, but it is a gasser and an XLT so it weighs less than yours-- with hitch installed and other bed gear it is 7680. Our TH is 32 foot.
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch