cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to connect brake break away cable on Patriot Hitch

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a B & W Patriot hitch installed yesterday. It is replacing a R & W little rocker hitch.

I used a Carabiner to connect my break away cable to multiple holes in the little rocker. The Patriot has no holes anywhere in it.

For those of you that have the B & W Patriot where do you connect the break away cable?

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
23 REPLIES 23

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gotta agree with Bill, makes sense. Most of us don't win the lottery either, especially those of us that don't participate!

Jerry

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
Ok, i will just say how i do it. I hook it to the hitch. Not the ball. In the scheme of worst case scenarios, the ball will fail first, or i the locking mechanism will fail. Odds are the whole hitch assembly thats bolted on coming off are slimmer. I hook mine up to where the saftey chains go, i make sure the wire is less distance then the chains. So if i come off the hitch it will enguage and the chains will still be on. I will be able to feel the breaks on the trailor pulling back and i can stop. This way seems safest to me.

OP here,
I was refering to a 5th wheel hitch not a bumper pull.

With the old 5th wheel hitch there were holes up the side of the hitch that I could easily reach.

I do have D rings on each side of my truck bed at the rear but I felt that if I really needed it work I'd want it to work ASAP. By hooking to the hitch which is in the middle of the bed it would pull out maybe a few seconds faster than one connected at the rear of the bed.

I have never heard of the entire 5th wheel hitch coming out of the truck just while normal driving. I agree in a rollover or collision it could be ripped out and at that point I'd have much bigger problems to deal with.

Dave

Whoops, im still having a hard time navagating this site, lol. Yes i see now.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
If you have an example of a hitch pulling out of a pickup, and the trailer remaining on it's wheel carriage, I would like to see that.

Trucks/trailers that have rolled don't count. The break-away cable isn't going to be an issue in that scenario.

The only scenario where this is going to matter is when the hitch pulls out of the pickup and remains connected to the trailer king pin. If the hitch and the pin separated, the weight of the falling hitch head would still pull the break-away pin.

Anything can happen of course, but a scenario where this would matter is so against all odds as to not be of any legitimate concern. The odds are better that a pin box would separate from the trailer, in which case the switch also would not activate. From that standpoint one could argue that putting the switch on the pin box, instead of the frame of the trailer, is poor design. Somehow we live with those odds, because we are realistic beings with common sense. Most of us anyway.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

The stuff about a hitch pulling out is non-sense.

Really it has happened.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Use a carabiner to hook in the release handle lock hole. Then you have connected the cable as well as latching the release handle. Combine with a padlock if you want that feature.

The stuff about a hitch pulling out is non-sense.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Drill a 1" hole in the bed through the frame. Drop a 7/8" eye bolt in the hole through the frame with a 2X heavy nut on the bottom. Connect your breakaway cable to the eye bolt with an old rubber band.
Hook it wherever you want.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
We have the B&W Companion and with our old trailer we would hook to on the arm of the hitch. Just picked up our new trailer a couple of weeks ago and drove it home. This time we hooked the cable to the D ring tie down on the back drivers side.

Backing into the drive requires a 90 degree turn, pulled the cable and activated the breaks. Took me a second or two to figure out what was going on. :S

So we'll have to come up with a different location, but at least the trailer brakes work.;)
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Tie down ring back left corner of truck bed works for me...right by the 7 way connector. Easy to reach and always done together with the 7-way.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the outer bolt (closest to side of truck) on the handle with an eye bolt (same size). hook my caribeaner clip on to that.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I really don't care where it's attached, but if wanting to do it properly the hitch isn't the place.

I attach mine at a back puck/hitch base point.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
When we 1st got into RVing back in '03, dealer attached the breakaway to hitch handle. Not knowing any better, figured he knew what's best and never changed how/where I attached it to. Now I have the Patriot and I installed a eye bolt to a empty hole in hitch handle then attach cable via a Caribeaner. Never a problem. Should the hitch ever break free from base, will have bigger fish to worry about than where the cable is attached to. Is this the correct way? Perhaps not, but if you have loose wood in bed of truck by D rings, that could interfere w/ the cable too. So sadly, one way isn't a one size fits all.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I have an eye bolt attached to the bed of my truck. The break away cable is attached to this bolt.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Ok, i will just say how i do it. I hook it to the hitch. Not the ball. In the scheme of worst case scenarios, the ball will fail first, or i the locking mechanism will fail. Odds are the whole hitch assembly thats bolted on coming off are slimmer. I hook mine up to where the saftey chains go, i make sure the wire is less distance then the chains. So if i come off the hitch it will enguage and the chains will still be on. I will be able to feel the breaks on the trailor pulling back and i can stop. This way seems safest to me.

OP here,
I was refering to a 5th wheel hitch not a bumper pull.

With the old 5th wheel hitch there were holes up the side of the hitch that I could easily reach.

I do have D rings on each side of my truck bed at the rear but I felt that if I really needed it work I'd want it to work ASAP. By hooking to the hitch which is in the middle of the bed it would pull out maybe a few seconds faster than one connected at the rear of the bed.

I have never heard of the entire 5th wheel hitch coming out of the truck just while normal driving. I agree in a rollover or collision it could be ripped out and at that point I'd have much bigger problems to deal with.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.