cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alberta Gov't just releases this.

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
That as of right now Alberta residents have joined the ranks of some of the other provinces and are allowed out of the country for up to 7 months without it affecting their health care. Now we just have to wait for the US to allow us to stay a little longer as well. But at least for now we could spend 5 months in US and 2 months in Mexico as an example. Good news for us full timers. Macktee
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car
27 REPLIES 27

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
mayo30 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Macktee wrote:
Thanks for correcting that for me Sue, it is what I was thinking but not what I wrote. My bad.
However, I wrote the initial post because it was breaking news about the 7 months out of country allowance. It was not to get into a debate over what coverage is better. We all have our favorite brand of travel insurance. Macktee
Macktee, my golf partner down here in AZ. (during the winter) is from Alberta. He got sick here last year for one month! He wants to come down this winter but the Canadian Government told him no. It has something to do with health insurance! If he has health insurance why is the Canadian Government not allowing him to travel south?
This is very interesting,I don't believe the Canadian Government restricts anyone from travelling due to medical conditions.Best have your friend explain this one.

I would venture to say the Canadian government is not saying he can't travel, they are just saying if you do travel your medical bills are not covered.

Bingo. The Canadian government has no say on where, how and how long you are out of the country. However depending on how long you are out of your PROVINCE (or territory) the PROVINCE (or territory) may suspend your health care privileges. Some provinces are as short as 6 months, one territory is as long as 364 days.

Re income tax, can't say for others but I pay no where near half my income in income taxes. This varies province to province and is available on line.

Canada health care act covers you anywhere in the world, but only to what the province (or territory) would pay in Canada...or about 10- 40 percent of what it costs in the US. Many other countries have comparable costs to Canada and it really doesn't make sense to get travel insurance, depending on the individual and their needs.
Thanks, that clears that matter up for me!

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Heres the Link.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1035664/alberta-health-care-coverage-extended-for-snowbirds/
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
mayo30 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Macktee wrote:
Thanks for correcting that for me Sue, it is what I was thinking but not what I wrote. My bad.
However, I wrote the initial post because it was breaking news about the 7 months out of country allowance. It was not to get into a debate over what coverage is better. We all have our favorite brand of travel insurance. Macktee
Macktee, my golf partner down here in AZ. (during the winter) is from Alberta. He got sick here last year for one month! He wants to come down this winter but the Canadian Government told him no. It has something to do with health insurance! If he has health insurance why is the Canadian Government not allowing him to travel south?
This is very interesting,I don't believe the Canadian Government restricts anyone from travelling due to medical conditions.Best have your friend explain this one.

I would venture to say the Canadian government is not saying he can't travel, they are just saying if you do travel your medical bills are not covered.

Bingo. The Canadian government has no say on where, how and how long you are out of the country. However depending on how long you are out of your PROVINCE (or territory) the PROVINCE (or territory) may suspend your health care privileges. Some provinces are as short as 6 months, one territory is as long as 364 days.

Re income tax, can't say for others but I pay no where near half my income in income taxes. This varies province to province and is available on line.

Canada health care act covers you anywhere in the world, but only to what the province (or territory) would pay in Canada...or about 10- 40 percent of what it costs in the US. Many other countries have comparable costs to Canada and it really doesn't make sense to get travel insurance, depending on the individual and their needs.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
mayo30 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Macktee wrote:

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Macktee wrote:

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Health Care is just one of the issues for Canadian Snowbirds, but probably the biggest. Yes, you will have to follow U.S. immigration and tax laws etc., for length of stay in the US.
Maintaining your Canadian health insurance, actually a Provincial system is a different story. In Ontario, to keep your OHIP coverage, you may only be OUT of PROVINCE for a maximum of 7 months, includes time in other provinces. OHIP will only pay the amount that they would pay an Ontario doctor, clinic hospital etc. An Alberta or BC medical facility may or may not bill OHIP for treatment, cash upfront or have Out of Province travel insurance.

We had an instance about 20 years ago, DW ending up in Florida hospital for 5 days, invoice was over $21,000.00, Out of Province paid it in full and then they collected from OHIP $4,000+/-, OHIP going rate of pay.

When I retired and lost benefits, we purchased a blanket Out of Province travel plan through retirees group for $600 per year, covers unlimited 30 day trips. When checking with them for extending to 60 days, they said it would be at the "going rates", about $800 for 30 days (with DW medical history). The insurance company told us that all we had to do was set foot in Ontario to reset to clock for the next 30 days. They are other fine print clauses to watch for.

Why do Canadians go south, two Four letter words, COLD and SNOW. A lot love it , but some love the warmth more, even 50degrees F is nice in the winter.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Macktee wrote:

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Bob some of those issues would be true of any insurance coverage even in the US. Like I said in a previous post, my current insurance covers emergency medical care wherever I'm at. But if I want to go live in Europe for a year and I have some type of event like you described here, my insurance isn't going to let me stay in Europe and continue to cover my medications and continued treatment. They are going to cover the emergency and then tell me if I want continued coverage for non-emergency treatment then it needs to be back in my home provider network.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
There are other issues concerning Canadian health care that need to be understood. I am no expert but here at our park in Mesa,Az. we have had several cases where Canadian snowbirds have had rude awakenings! One guy, a good friend, had a heart problem that required a stint. As soon as he was stable, he was required to return home to Ontario as his insurance would not cover the prescribed drugs here. At first the standard time to remain in Ontario was 3 months without a Doctor procedure or prescription change. Unfortunately, he had an episode with a rapid heart beat due to stress, with no complications. He is now required to stay home for a year or risk having no insurance. A second incident involves a man who fell and broke his leg. He was denied coverage because he had a slightly elevated alcohol level. There have also been problems with ambulances taking Canadians to hospitals that aren't covered by their insurance. Being able to stay for longer periods is a good move but there are other issues that need addressing! Bob
bob b

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Lots of misinformation in this thread. The OP used the term "allowed" Canada does not prohibit you from traveling whenever and where ever you want. BUT if you are out of the country more than the 6 or 7 months ( depending on your home province) you could lose your health coverage.

If you read the sentence the OP used the word "allowed" in, that's exactly what he said.

"That as of right now Alberta residents have joined the ranks of some of the other provinces and are allowed out of the country for up to 7 months without it affecting their health care."
1999 Itasca Sunrise

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of misinformation in this thread. The OP used the term "allowed" Canada does not prohibit you from traveling whenever and where ever you want. BUT if you are out of the country more than the 6 or 7 months ( depending on your home province) you could lose your health coverage. Most provinces do provide out of country emergency coverage BUT they only pay the same amount a hospital in Canada would receive. In most of the USA that would be a joke if you are hospitalized. Maybe 10 % of the cost. Small emergencies will have more coverage. All coverage is different from one province to another. Quebec is one of the worst. Some will cover medications. Others do not. Health coverage is a complicated issue. Some Travel Health Insurance companies will put you in a US hospital and pay any costs. Others will simply fly you home and dump the patient on the overworked Canadian system. Still others will try and find a way to NOT provide coverage. Manulife is famous for refusing coverage. Remember that your travel health insurance is secondary coverage and the Government coverage is primary.

Moisheh

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
One of my relatives had a mild heart attack last year and now his ins. will cost more for travel out of the Province.
If someone has a Medicare Supplement that is the part that covers travel out of the USA. Plan A, B, L, &M do not cover foreign travel. I am not real sure about the L&M because I never sell those 2. Medicare Advantage plans have all their own rules that vary from each plan.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Here where I live the birds gather in the fall and for about a week fly around in gigantic circles and then head south.

I was wondering if the Canadian RVer's do the same thing?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes