cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antifreeze no longer pink

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to winterize my rig. I go to two of the gallons of antifreeze I've had since last last year. Unopened, but the pink colour is gone.

Is this stuff still okay to use?
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD
18 REPLIES 18

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Color of coolant is irrelevant. There are too many variables....for gas engines, for diesel engines, standard, extended life, probably more, and they don't mix well.
2014 American Eagle

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Monkeyman_and_Lady wrote:
I'm about to winterize my rig. I go to two of the gallons of antifreeze I've had since last last year. Unopened, but the pink colour is gone.

Is this stuff still okay to use?

If it's a Chemworld product they don't usually add the pink color to it. Just be aware it's a concentrate, so dilute to label specs before using in the system. Most people will add some food coloring just so they can see when it runs through the system and when flushed out.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recall a thread oh. perhaps 12-15 years ago somneone asking if he could use ENGINE type antifreeze instead (NO by the way)

I ask why At the time Engine stuff was like 8.00/gallon
Pink stuff on sale at ACE. hardware 1.00/gallon
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
double post deleted
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I am with everyone that said buy new, not worth the risk for what it costs. I am curious though because I winterized my MH a year ago and haven't used it. I hope the antifreeze is still good!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
throw it away and spend $5.00 on new.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
Put some in your freezer and see what happens. RV antifreeze can freeze but will not expand. It will likely turn to slush.
Why guess. This test will tell you all you need to know. I keep RV antifreeze from year to year and never saw it fade, but a simple test is better and cheaper that replacing something that probably is still good.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
The dye color can fade, but so long as the bottle is sealed, there's no way for the antifreezing components (ethanol and/or PEG) to escape. I wouldn't have any qualms about using year-old discolored antifreeze, assuming of course it doesn't seem like there's something slimy growing in it or it's otherwise obviously bad and not merely faded.

I have a year-old bottle of RV antifreeze and its color didn't fade, so I don't think I'd use a bottle if it did fade given the expensive consequences if it doesn't work as expected.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The dye color can fade, but so long as the bottle is sealed, there's no way for the antifreezing components (ethanol and/or PEG) to escape. I wouldn't have any qualms about using year-old discolored antifreeze, assuming of course it doesn't seem like there's something slimy growing in it or it's otherwise obviously bad and not merely faded.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Put some in your freezer and see what happens. RV antifreeze can freeze but will not expand. It will likely turn to slush.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
$3.50/gallon. Throw the old stuff away.

I think this is the best option.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you run RV antifreeze thru a Water filter, it will remove the Pink. Still good, just does not have the color. But, I have Pink antifreeze at the shop more than 3 years old and is still pink. Doug

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
$3.50/gallon. Throw the old stuff away.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Antifreeze is cheap. Replace it and try some new.