cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold Ice Maker no ice

noleakman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 06 National Sea Breeze with a Norcold LRM 1200 fridge! It has sit for most of last year and when I went to use it the ice maker wouldn't make ice ! I put a new ice maker filter on and I know I have water going thru the filter but no Ice! If i put water in a bottle and pour in Ice maker it will make ice and drops to the bin below so I know the electric is working on the ice maker and it freezes water!I find a small amount of water dripping out of the cover for the fridge outside!Can I take the waterline of the filter and blow thru with a air hose? I think something is plugged up on the back side of the fridge and leaking the water out before it gets to the ice maker!
14 REPLIES 14

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at page 82 figure 10-9.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
noleakman wrote:
Is reset button on the ice maker or outside by the water valve?

The reset button in inside the box, on the ice maker, left side, near the arm that senses whether the ice is full. I no longer have the 1200 or I'd post a picture. Feel around for it or lay on the ground and look up. It's kinda hidden, but it's there. Once you find it, it's easy to relocate.......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How to test the shut off valve.
First shut off water pump and /or city water (else you will get soaked)

now remove connection from INLET side of solenoid.

now have partner turn water pump or city water on for one second while directing stream of water away from you. if water flows valve is open re-connect to solenoid after partner turns it off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this your ice maker if so then read with pictures. On the other manual list it started on I think page 59.

https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-technical-blog/norcold-ice-maker-wont-make-ice-help/

If not then this one starting section 10. The same steps with pictures.

https://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Norcold-Service-1210.pdf

noleakman
Explorer
Explorer
The ice maker freezes and kicks out ice cubes but I have to put water in the machine with a bottle! water not getting to ice maker! Is reset button on the ice maker or outside by the water valve?

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The only problems we have had with our ice maker, when it would not make or dump the ice was freeze up in the valve, or the power had been cut and thawed bit, and refroze everything up. I turned the power to it off and using a hair dryer thawed up everything and dried it out good. hearing the motor trying to dump the ice and not able to was first clue. Once the ice melted sufficiently it would dump water and ice in the ice maker. I've had to do this a few times. When disconnecting make sure your generator is running or that the refrigerator/freezer is on propane and DC and....and the water pump is on,and batteries have or have been switched off when unit is being serviced...and they neglect to tun it back on before, it thaws just bit.
In 15 years o problem that turned out to be the valve at the ice maker other than freeze up.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reset it first. The reset button is on the left side up under the plastic arm. It's difficult to find the first time out. Once you know where it is it'll be easier next time. Push and hold the button, the ice maker will cycle and the tray will dump. You should then hear the tray refill. Best way to do it is have someone else push the button while you're outside so you can tell if the thing is working. It should click and fill. If it doesn't then you might have an obstruction somewhere in the line but that is doubtful. USE CAUTION: That water line is only pushed into the back of the box. If you pull it out, or it slips out, the only way to remedy putting it back in is to pull the box forward enough to push it back inside the hole. PAIN IN LOTS OF PLACES. I would not advise using compressed air. Start with the simple stuff. Remove the water line from the solenoid and push the reset button. If no water comes out then you know it's not an obstruction. Most likely causes are your water filters are plugged. Second cause is a bad valve. Third is the icemaker itself is bad.(unlikely). Start with the valve and work backwards. MAKE SURE YOUR LINE IS NOT FROZEN....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the valve at the sink water filter, ice maker connection, under the sink? Ours was three way I think but may have only been two. Brass with lever and inlet and two outlets.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally those ice makers are U-LINE but what I'm about to say applies to all of them (U-Lines make Ice Cresents. like a half moon)

First to cycle they have to get down to around 25 degrees. I gather yours is getting there so skip this paragraph.

As it cycles a motor starts. a cam or two start to rotate the shaft is the "Fingers" (ice pusher) shaft. on another model it is the ice tray itself and that's about the only difference (That one makes cubes)

A switch closes bypassing the thermostat and a heater starts. as the ice pusher fngers encounter the ice the motor stalls. soon as the surface of the ice melts the cycle continues. The ice is pushed out and anoter switch closes. this switch is adjustable (The +/- adjustment screw under the front cover) and it sends power to the solenoid. water now flows assuming the manual valve is open.

Suspects are the Switch and the solenoid and the tube from the solenoid to the ice maker in reverse order of likelyhood.

To test the switch take a knife (Table knife) which a magnet will stick to.
Have partner force cycle Ice maker while holding flat side of kinfe about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from side of solenoid magnet Should be attracted during cycle

Also observe of water going everywhich way but into the ice tray.

IF no water sprayng about and magnet attracts knife

Remove solenoid outlet tube (To ice maker) and try to blow through it. Should be like blowing through a straw. if hard to blow through tube is obstructed. Please do not ask how to clean.

Also look for water dripping from above. IF YOU SEE water anywhere (Before removing tube) bad.

now connect a short tube to solenoid outlet and re-cycle ice maker. NO water at this point = replace solenoid.

Now their are about 100 different solenoids.. costing from about 10 bucks to around 100 dollars. They all work exactly the same and either have the same connections or adapters. the mounting brackets may be different. So don't speing more than 25 bucks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
noleakman wrote:
How would I test the water shut off valve?

As Old-Biscuit stated, download the manual and read it. All the detail steps are listed in the order needed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted by intention
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

noleakman
Explorer
Explorer
How would I test the water shut off valve?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes, Also is the electrical shut of valve working. If not water will not flow then no ice.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted due to lack of interest
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31