Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Class B Winnebago owners Here?

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to drop down to a Class B.
Like what I looked at on line from Winny.

Any other good brands with out pop up roofs.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+
21 REPLIES 21

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
For the original poster, anyone new to checking out class B's should check out Advanced RV, using Sprinter vans. You will need to check your own price range, but you have to check them out!

timbut45
Explorer
Explorer
Comon guys. The meaning of all words changes over time. RVIA is not necessarily the "Websters" of words. If somebody wants to call a C, a B+, do it! Everybody knows what you're talking about! Unless you're from Tucson, or want to go to the annual RV.net B Rally; in the words of our famous leader " what difference does it make?" One other example, when was the last time that something called "free" was free?
Have slept in all lower 48 states in our RV
2007 Leisure Travel Free Spirit LSS 210 B

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, and one of the worst offenders, has already posted one of his cookie cutter comments, about his Class C in this thread. It seems there are a few snowflakes who feel they have the right to post/argue about what ever they dam well please.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
I come here strictly for Class B camper van discussion. I know from experience when Class Cs outsell Class B camper vans 10 to 1 where the most talk will eventually gravitate. There is a Sprinter forum where Class C Sprinters dominate most of the RV discussion. Arguing that the manufacturers say so is not legitimate when a manufacturer insist a 32 ft. long 8 ft. wide 11 ft. tall Class C is a Class B.

The RV.net Class C forum specifically sets aside a sub forum specifically giving in and identifying B+. So, when someone comes here that has spurned true Class Bs and argues for taller, wider, bigger and mostly longer RVs with dry baths and slides, and decidedly boxy uglier, IMO, I wonder why they insist on the term Class B. B-ness envy? To a T they ultimately start recommending their choice in threads when people very clearly ask advice about Class B camper vans. It is boorish and disrespectful for a Class C owner to do so here. Then when called out they act as if it is a mission to correct someone with the argument there are other choices as if people are dumb here.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Cutting the old body off, and adding a fiberglass one doesn't change the Class/Type.
The 210 started of as a van, and retained the original doors.
The only Roadtrek that's not a Class B is the old 200, it was built on a cut-away chassis, which makes it a Class C.
I understand the confusion, but using the chassis type is the best way to keep the Class B forum separate from the Class C forum. I doubt many would want the two forums combined together. I'm sure the Mods wouldn't.

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
Why I am wading in, I don't know, but....if anything should be called a B+, one could argue it should be the largest Roadtreks and Pleasureways on Chevy or Dodge vans that have the gradually widened fiberglass bodies (RT 210 and similar widebodies), instead of the big rectangular fiberglass backs on small C's. I always wondered why this is not where the debate heads fast. I know those wide bodies started as a complete van. Also, something seldom mentioned, with the popularity of Sprinters, it is interesting that the Sprinter can be both a van and a B, and also a chassis that serves as the platform of a C.

Now I am off to the car forums to argue what constitutes a true muscle car. WILDCAT! Pony cars only? no thanks.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Pick, pick, pick. :B
Actually Trail Lite may have been the first back in the early 2000's. It caused a lot of controversy. B's were a hot commodity back then, C's weren't selling well, gas prices were starting to soar, so Trail Lite decided to call their, somewhat inexpensive, little Class C a B+ in hopes it would spark sales. The name stuck, and it came to denote a Class C without a cab over sleeper.
My apologies to LTV, but they sure didnt help with the B+ controversy. ๐Ÿ˜ž

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the exception of this:
A so called B+ is just a marketing term started by LTV for a small Class C

The B+ term had appeared before LTV started building the Serenity and Libero, and they properly called both of them a Class C.

Then they were purchased by EEE, who had been a manufacturer of Class A and traditional Class C rigs. They changed the advertising of the Serenity, Libero, and new Unity rigs to Class B.

Neither company ever used the B+ term for any of their rigs. (can't speak about their dealers... who tend to do as they please) I nagged them about it for the 4 years that I owned my Libero, and suddenly not long after I traded it in, their website suddenly started referring to them properly as Class C.

So not sure who invented the term B+, but it wasn't LTV.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
"Type B Motorhome
Commonly called van campers, Type B Motorhomes are built using automotive manufactured van or panel-truck shells. Van campers drive more like the family car, but offer the comforts and conveniences of home on the road."
If it starts as a Van, it's a Type B, doesn't matter what is done to the body.

"Type C Motorhomes are built on an automotive van frame (cut-away chassis) with a wider body section attached to the original cab section. Many Type C Motorhomes are easily recognizable by the over-the-cab area that is often an optional sleeping area. Amenities are similar to those in conventional motorhomes."
A so called B+ is just a marketing term started by LTV for a small Class C, although there are 35' Class/Type C's that the manufactures calls a B+. The difference with these is usually no cab over sleeper. So length has little to do with what a so called B+ is.

Source: Fun Roads RIVA Consumer site.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
My Aspect is a C. Just no Rug Rat Room overhead. All the same features as any other C. Maybe just not as wide as some.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW... I agree with Asheguy, he and most others here are a lot smarter and more astute than I am. Those which are called B+ are actually Cs. Most have 6 wheels, although some newer vans also have 6 wheels. The overhead bed is not a factor in the class. I have had 5 class Bs, including a VW Westfalia, and they have all had upper bunks, but all were class Bs. The B+ was invented by dealers so they could make people think they were getting a C size with more room but with the much better fuel economy of a B. A higher roof line isn't a factor in the class. See the heading in the Class C forum, a B+ is really a small C but "small" isn't a word you want to use when trying to sell a vehicle to someone who plans to live in it, even for a short time.
john 'I am Canadian'

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
I'm of the opinion that the terminology/nomenclature of classifications is determined by a combination of the buying public and the marketing department. (More so the marketing Dept.)
I's not someone's opinion, the RV Class definitions came from the RVIA. See RVIA Class B Definition.

By definition, a Class B chassis came off the assembly line as a van. The van body may have been cut off by the RV company, but if it started as a van it is a Class B. Hence, the name for this forum.

B+ is a marketing term but the vehicles that are labeled by dealers and some conversion companies as Class Bs are Class Cs as you say since they are built on a cut off chassis that only has a truck cab on the front.

This subject has been beat to death on these forums but it keeps coming back.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
omjones wrote:
Easy way to tell is that a B is built within the confines of a van. Cabover bed isn't a consideration, How high the roof isn't a consideration, it's built within the confines of a van. If it's wider than a van it's not a B. JMO

How does this all fit into the definition of a B+? Or is that category non-existent in your view? Or just another can of worms altogether? I can understand that.
I have been on this board for a while and am still learning daily.
I've been of the opinion that B+ owners really want to keep the B status rather than the C status, for some reason, but want the extra inches in width and comfort. And a cabover/bed is one determining factor. But that is a B+ not a B as you stated.
Wider than a van is another argument. Roadtreck, PleasureWay and many other B's do have a slight bump out on the sides. Where is the line drawn?
I'm of the opinion that the terminology/nomenclature of classifications is determined by a combination of the buying public and the marketing department. (More so the marketing Dept.)
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nice post pretty much says it all.