cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electricty (kilowatt) monitor

rambler2011
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used a metermaid 30A plug-in power meter for checking the kilowatts used in your RV's and if so what is your opinion of the device.
6 REPLIES 6

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

If you can limit your use to only 1800 watts at a time, then the Kill-A-Watt will work fine to determine what each item will use. However you can not use it to do something like bill your brother in law when he comes to visit and runs the A/C for hours at a time, using several KW of your power.

There are meters for submetering a RV site, yet they are typically expensive, more than $200. Is that what you are looking for? Many landlords do bill their tenants for the power they consume. The meters are part of the company's infastructure, so installing a $1,000 meter is just a line item to them, not a huge price to pay.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The Kill-a-watt is quite wonderful but limited to 1800 watts and below.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We also use a "Kill-a-watt" meter to monitor our power consumption when it matters (like when we're plugged into our house system). When we're on a CG electrical system, who cares.

In the winter, which is fairly mild here, we have an oil-filled electrical radiator hooked to a digital thermostat to keep the temp in the rig above freezing. Since our winter climate is fairly mild, this isn't a big power draw. We only had about 15 days where the overnight was below freezing this winter, and no days where th daytime high didn't get above 32 F.

A good reason for living here! In the 14 years we've lived in Anacortes, we've only had two occasions where snow got above 12" and lasted more than a week. With summer daytime highs averaging mid-70's, this is a nice place to live, particularly for ex-pat Brits.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also use the KILL-A-WATT meter...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I can't see paying that much to see how much I am using. I do use a Kill-a-watt.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have a watt meter for my RV that works like a clamp on. It is an Efergy Elite. It works well for me. I use it to cover my OEM 30 amp, 20 amp auxiliary, 15 amp auxiliary and the inverter.

I purchased mine on Amazon.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.