cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Mattress with Foam ?

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering replacing the cheap queen mattress with 4" or 5" thick foam. Has anyone done this? I sleep in the overhead buck and sleep great whereas my wife sleeps in the corner bed and says the mattress is too soft and she's right, no support. Where would be the best place to buy and what density if foam is preferred plus foam is cheaper than some mattresses.

Thanks!
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
10 REPLIES 10

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a really comfortable mattress at a home mattress store to replace mine. I bought the best one I could afford, as I like to sleep on it nightly.

Then the mattress was thicker, so I sat taller, and getting into the under mattress storage was more difficult. I later bought some stronger struts, from this place.

AutoPartsByLou.com

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of going entirely to memory foam, I purchased a 2" memory foam topper for my mattress and covered both with a deep pocket mattress cover. If you are concerned about added weight, this might be a better option since memory foam is not a lightweight product.
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased this for our 5'er. It is fabulous and we spent 107 nights on it last year.

It ranges from $129 to $219, according to size.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Only downside of foam... when the cabover gets hot, the foam gets hotter and doesn't deal with sweat well...There used to be a place in Austin, Sleep World, that would custom-make organic latex foam mattresses that would breathe/wick away sweat..
I never understand these moisture complaints about foam.

I have 4" of regular foam covered with 3" of good quality memory foam, covered with a heated pad, a wool pad and a sheet. I never get hot or yuck.. sweat.

Do you sleep in a hot room?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about a topper but I would still have the lousy soft mattress as the foundation and it would raise the bed height too much for the DW to get into. I appreciate the feedback and will look into the Sealy and Verlo.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
www.verlo.com
Keep in mind that not all foam is the same. We prefer the Tempur-pedic density but Verlo has their version of it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Joe_Hamm
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a Costco topper. That is what we use and love it. Be sure to check actual dimension of that bed. I know you mention queen size but I find the full size measurement seems to be more accurate. See chart attached.
http://www.costco.com/NovaForm®-3%22-Pure-Comfort-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper.product.11765557.html

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased 4" Sealy Memory foam mattresses from Overstock.com for both our 5th wheels. $99.00 each and $2.98 shipping each. (bought 1 Queen & 1 Cal King)
We love the memory foam.

Jo

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Only downside of foam... when the cabover gets hot, the foam gets hotter and doesn't deal with sweat well.

There used to be a place in Austin, Sleep World, that would custom-make organic latex foam mattresses that would breathe/wick away sweat. The Austin part closed down due to the founder's demise, but there is a factory in Houston still going, and can make custom order mattresses out of foam.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I bought foam for my RV and home bed from these guys. I have 2" of medium latex on top, 3" of HD36-HQ for the middle layer, and 3" of Lux-HQ for the bottom layer. For us, this makes a very nice mattress. You may find it too hard or too soft, everyone has a different idea of what is comfortable. Cost is about $450-$500 including a mattress cover.