cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much sway do you feel?

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped towing our TT almost 3 years ago, due to a number of reasons, including problems with sway that we simply could not overcome no matter what we did. Of course, one of my bigger issues was PTSD from a terrible roll-over in 2010 which made it difficult for me--I felt every buffet of wind and every draft of an 18-wheeler, so I was like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Is it any better in a MH? We have our TT parked permanently and have no desire to ever tow again. But I'd love to be able to visit other places again. I just know that I would be extremely nervous if cross-winds cause problems with driving.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!
20 REPLIES 20

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:
We stopped towing our TT almost 3 years ago, due to a number of reasons, including problems with sway that we simply could not overcome no matter what we did. Of course, one of my bigger issues was PTSD from a terrible roll-over in 2010 which made it difficult for me--I felt every buffet of wind and every draft of an 18-wheeler, so I was like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Is it any better in a MH? We have our TT parked permanently and have no desire to ever tow again. But I'd love to be able to visit other places again. I just know that I would be extremely nervous if cross-winds cause problems with driving.

We've never had a problem with any of them, but to be rather sure of one, even after a test drive at speed, It's best to buy one with as little overhang behind the rear wheels, as possible and with a long wheel base, like in a 36ft or more. You'll see this shortness in overhang, if you will, with the higher end DP's and some of the older gas coaches that have a tag axle. Also keep your cruising speed down, which will save fuel and make your overall trip more relaxing and enjoyable.
There are after market products as well for making things a bit better and depending on what you have.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
We started out with travel trailers pulled by 1/2 ton pickup or Suburban. Did not notice much until the second travel trailer 29 feet with the Suburban sway and wind push was horrible.
Weight distribution hitch with friction bar was a white knuckle ride with me ready to stop before we even left. I dreaded towing at all.
Before giving up we upgraded to a Reese Dual Cam hitch setup, that made it much better and then I noticed the round ball hitch on the Suburban was flexing adding to some of the problems.
We upgraded the pickup to the F250, that with LT tires and the Dual Cam setup made the travel trailer ride like it was on rails behind me. No sway at all. I would feel a slight push/pull as big trucks passed, I learned to watch for them in the left mirror and ease to the right side of the lane as they passed making it hardly felt at all.
Later on needing more room full-timing for work I upgraded from the travel trailer to the 5th wheel. The ride was about the same, worse on bad interstate with bounce but absolutely no sway at all. A little push/pull from big rigs but nothing uncomfortable.

Everything will feel cross winds, even a car not towing anything.

I do understand the fear that lingers from a rollover accident. I have been through two of them myself, and that is what was causing me anxiety with the travel trailer. That pushed me to research and I worked with the dual cam hitch and got it resolved. Went from not wanting to go 50 miles to driving 350 or more miles in a day and not even worrying about it.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Chris
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how much RV you need, but if you could go small, an Aliner would be a good choice. Low sides equal low wind push. Hard sides for Walmart boondocking. About as much room as a Class B for a whole lot less money.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

padre1944
Explorer
Explorer
I've had all types from class C to A to TT to 5th wheel. 5th wheel with a 2016 F250 is extremely stable and easiest to tow I've had.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many gas Class A need help to make them handle well. The majority of DPs under 40' handle well. All of the 40'+ tag axle DPs handle well. At 40,000+ lbs they are rock solid... no sway. Test driving may help you decide what you will feel comfortable driving.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Look into the physics of a truck/5'ver. Do some googling on the topic and see if you would be comfortable with that rig. Class A is harder to drive then a 5'ver IMO. TT is the worst.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 3 class A's. Although I don't think I've driven in 50 mile an hour winds, I have seen 35-40 and never encountered much sway. In my last 2 coaches, I only know I am being passed by a semi is when I look to the left.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A 5th wheel will be much better than a travel trailer. A diesel motorhome will be better than both. With a motorhome you want to look for one that doesn't have a long overhang behind the rear tires. Most gas motorhome will have a long overhang.

We had very little movement with our 40' diesel motorhome even in high winds or being passed by a semi. It was extremely stable even in the mountains. We both drove it and absolutely loved the drive.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:
Thank you all for your advice. The one thing I don't want is wallow--I think I would jump right out of the MH. As for getting therapy, well, I've tried that. PTSD is very hard to overcome, even with therapy and medication.

We have friends who have a 5th wheel and they just love it. Gives me something else to consider, for sure. We're not gonna pull the trigger anytime soon, but winter is a good time for research, no?

Cathy

Cathy,

I had a Fiver and it was much better in the wind then the TT. 150% better, to quote Ferris Bueller. The DP is not a sway machine like gassers and trailers. The weight and distribution of said weight along with the setup is crucial. I can say that I have been in wind in the MH that I would not attempt in my Fiver. I have been in wind so strong that even though we were stable, the wind started blowing things off the MH. It was time to stop at that point.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advice. The one thing I don't want is wallow--I think I would jump right out of the MH. As for getting therapy, well, I've tried that. PTSD is very hard to overcome, even with therapy and medication.

We have friends who have a 5th wheel and they just love it. Gives me something else to consider, for sure. We're not gonna pull the trigger anytime soon, but winter is a good time for research, no?

Cathy
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a Class C Lazy Daze...they have a lower profile and handle very well. I put over 25,000 miles on mine and loved the way it handled. (I'm in a new Winnebago 31D now and haven't used it enough to judge how it handles.) The lower profile and heavier weight compared to a TT might alleviate your understandable feelings.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
In high cross winds, even my car and pick up truck will be pushed by the wind.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
My '94 Bounder (35') would porpoise, wallow, and sway in the wind and because of passing trucks. Most of that was solved by changing the shocks but I often found myself looking for an early stopping place when there was wind or too many trucks on the road.

My '02 Journey (35') is a dream to drive. I hardly know when the wind is blowing, even when it's gusting. Actually have to watch roadside trees and grasses to tell. Hardly notice when a truck passes the opposite direction. (To be fair, I do notice that my rig is pulled towards a truck passing going the same direction on a four lane freeway, but it's a mild effect).

Both rigs are Freightliner chassis.

I mention this because perhaps you just haven't run into the right rig yet? Some of them take thousands worth of add on products to reduce those effects, others, like mine, were designed in such a way that they hold the road without effort.

I know if I were in your position, I'd look at getting these airtabs for any class A I might purchase, because of the testimonials from people who say they really reduce wind effects on their RV...

Airtab
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My old 30 ft Class A gasser would lean and swap lanes in a cross wind, and I was relieved to go to a dually pickup and heavy 5er after that. At least with a towable your pickup doesn't lean.

This DP is completely different than what we had before. It has a high tolerance for wind, but occasionally I get surprised with a microburst or truck rolling by.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed