cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium Batteries

Ron_forrester
Explorer
Explorer
Do you guys know if any of the newest Class C's already have lithium batteries installed as a standard feature? Are they only optional at this point?

I'm still researching Class C's at this point, never owned one before. Planning on purchasing Spring 2022.
3 REPLIES 3

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you use the correct converter/charger if you do a lithium swap.

I have been researching these batteries for awhile and still learning.

โ€œYou have to use almost all of the LiFePO4 batteries capacity before a lead acid charger will start charging again. A LiFePO4 specific charger will trigger bulk stage to start re-charging at typically 13.1-13.2V ensuring is starts charging again when it is still at high states of charge, not very low states of charge when it is going to be too late. Think about this when using solar to charge your batteries. When the sun comes up in the morning, a lead acid solar charge controller may not start charging at all regardless of the time of day if it thinks the battery is already charged based on the voltage it is reading as the re-bulk voltage hasn't been met. It will just stay in float stage. You may loose part or all of the days sunlight before getting any charge into the battery at all, leaving you with little to no charge and potentially flat batteries overnight.โ€

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago has had them as an optional upgrade on their Views/Navions for a couple of years. Standard batteries are AGMs, or upgrade to lithium, for a few dollars more (~ $5000?). It became an option when the new flat top cab over was added. Same year.
Winnebago used the Zamp Solar Charge Controllers ZS-30A in my 2018 Navion. It came with a pair of cheap FLA batteries, but the solar CC has an LiFePO4 charging algorithm, which is almost the same as the AGM charging algorithm. I use it now, after swapping in a couple of Relion 100Ah RB100-LT lithium batteries back in 2019. Works just fine. I also have a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 converter/charger, to which I added a Charge Wizard remote control pendant. With it, I can manually boost the charging current to the lithiums when I'm plugged in, if they need it.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 Tiffin Wayfarer.
Lithium battery option was not available until the 2020 models.
We had ours installed in 2020 at the Tiffin Service Center.
Best money spent.
happynow

Steve and Carol